Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

X-T-70 Newbie

CA Steve

Okay, went out today to a local park and got a 1919s merc in good condition and a heavy silver ring that fits fine. First day of silvers with this machine. Still waiting to dig some gold jewelry. Only had for a week and used a few times only.
After noice cancelling and ground balancing I turned up sensitivity to 24, threshold to 4 and bumped up ground balance by hitting + button once. Seemed to work alright for me today. Also tried hunting in all metal with 3 tones. Think I can get use to that also. Thanks for the advice guys.
Also do you guys see anything wrong with my settings? Wasn't sure if after ground balancing I was to hit the - or the + key. If so please reply.
Any other tips will be greatly appriciated.
Atwater Steve

if you are finding old silver! Congrats on a great start with the X-70. The one suggestion I would make is to try the 4-tone audio before you get too use to the 3-tone and find it hard to change. Four tone mode is exactly like the 3 tone for targets below a TID of 42. But that allows for an additional higher tone for quarters, halves and silver dollars. Kind of gets the blood flowing when you hear that higher pitched 950Hz tone! HH Randy

Hi Steve,

Your settings sound good to me. I normally ground balanced the 70 at the sensitivity setting I was going to use but that can differ in some areas it seems from other peoples posts. Increasing the GB one or two numbers can be helpful in more mineralized ground but do not be afraid to use tracking either which gives very good results. Of course run the sensitivity as high as you can while keeping the detector stable. If you see bouncing TID's on shallow (4-5") coins, dropping the sensitivity a number or 2 usually steadies it right out.

Tom

[quote Jackpine Savage]Hi Steve,

Your settings sound good to me. I normally ground balanced the 70 at the sensitivity setting I was going to use but that can differ in some areas it seems from other peoples posts. Increasing the GB one or two numbers can be helpful in more mineralized ground but do not be afraid to use tracking either which gives very good results. Of course run the sensitivity as high as you can while keeping the detector stable. If you see bouncing TID's on shallow (4-5") coins, dropping the sensitivity a number or 2 usually steadies it right out.

Tom[/quote]

Tom, I have not tried the tracking mode yet. Do you need to ground balance first then switch over to tracking or do you start off in tracking mode?
Thanks, Steve

[quote Digger]if you are finding old silver! Congrats on a great start with the X-70. The one suggestion I would make is to try the 4-tone audio before you get too use to the 3-tone and find it hard to change. Four tone mode is exactly like the 3 tone for targets below a TID of 42. But that allows for an additional higher tone for quarters, halves and silver dollars. Kind of gets the blood flowing when you hear that higher pitched 950Hz tone! HH Randy[/quote]

Randy, I was wondering when I detected the big silver ring there was no difference in tone over my clad coins.
Thanks, Steve

There is no need to GB before turning on tracking. When first turned on tracking goes into a fast GB mode for a few seconds. When at sites with lots of iron where its nearly impossible to set the GB any other way I have no qualms about relying on tracking to get the job done.

Tom