Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

X-70 Sniff Out Deep Button From Hunted out Site / 10.5 DD 7.5 Coil

Reconmarine63

I returned to very hard hit Field thats been hunted the past 25+ years. In fact the landowner lets anyone hunt, and first place most new and experience use test new machine. He Nice Eagle "I" button located at over 12 inches deep using 10.5 DD 7.5 I switched back to 9 inch 3KHZ and recheck signal. After take 2 inches of topsoil of the 9 inch 3kHz did get fairly good signal The 10.5DD had prov en to go deeper mostly by coil size an DD signal to go just maybe 1-2 inches deeper then any of 9 inch coil. This can make big difference in finds deep targets that other miss. I would love see Min lab make an 10.5DD 3KHz coil , is would go deep

That is a very nice button! Congrats on finding it.

I also liked the field test on the coils. Thanks for posting the results, Beale.

I'm glad you had both coils there to check the target before you dug it. By comparing the two "head to head", you were able to determine you could get more depth out of the DD than the concentric at that site. As you stated, some of that can be attributed to the larger coil and some to the DD characteristics. Based on the information you provided, I would guess that you are hunting in an area with a fairly high mineralization level, and that the concentric probably GB at a higher setting than the DD. I was wondering if you remembered what the GB setting differences were between the 9-inch concentric at 3 kHz and the 10.5 DD at 7.5 kHz? It would be interesting to me :nerd: to analyze whether the frequency of the coil, the size of the coil or the design of the coil were the most contributing factor for the difference in depth of detection.

Like you, I would like to see more coil variety at 3 kHz. A 6-inch concentric and a 10.5-inch DD would be just great! (Are you listening Santa?)

HH Randy

and thanks for the coil comparison. Have you ever tried the 3Khz coil using the beach GB mode? Don't ask me why but it does add some depth on land.

Tom

The soil I was hunting real sandy soil, The GB when balance was approx. between 27-29 with the 10.5DD 7.5 . The 9 inch 3 kHz for some reason ground balance at 29/30 little higher then 10.5DD 7.5 coil. On avg. I can also run sen.t seating higher with DD 10.5 then small coil even though ground very good. I think due to DD coil to knock off most if not all affect in all tuple's soil.

A superior find for certain..Thanks for the run down on coils.

Can anyone help me out a little..What coils are available for the 70 now..

Ie; 3khz 9.5
what else can you buy ??

In the FAQ, coil selection table. Fourth or fifth post down.

HH
BarnacleBill

Nice button. I have the same coil and I hunt in the prospecting mode, sens wide open, iron mask at one, and I have found silver dollars at 12". When I get a good signal,I switch to coin mode to ID the target. A silver dollar will always come in at 46 TID.

With the 2-inch difference in depth, I would have expected a larger margin between the GB of the 10.5 DD and the 9-inch concentric. 27-29 compared to 29-30 isn't much of a spread for so many differences in the two coils. So now you have me thinking......Hmmmmmm.... with so many variances in the two coils, why did they GB so closely? On the other hand, maybe having so many variances is exactly why they GB'd so closely! I wonder if the DD design of the 10.5 was able to "neutralize" any additional ground interference it may encounter (due to it's enhanced surface area), as compared to the smaller concentric coil? Darnit! I really wish the GB numbers you used were anything but those you said so I could have some substance to work with! :lol: 28? 28??? As I have said before, 28 happens to be my "magic number" for determining when I switch from a concentric to a DD coil. I don't have any scientific evidence to back it up, just practical experience. But I usually consider ground that allows me to balance at 28-29 (or a higher number) to be decent ground for my concentrics. If it is 28 (or a lower number) I will put on the DD. So by you saying 28, I can't say which one I would have chosen. At a 28, it would probably depended more on whether or not I ate my Wheaties that morning, than the coil design!

DD vs Concentric...... JMHO
If we were able to compare a 10.5-inch DD to a 10.5-inch concentric, we could observe more variables between the two designs than we can by having two different sized coils. It just stands to reason that bigger coils go deeper. And if we had a 3 kHz DD to compare to a 3 kHz concentric, we could observe more variables between the two designs that with coils of different frequencies. Again, lower frequencies are capable of deeper depths on larger targets. But we have what we have. So the best way for me to analyze which coil performs the best is to do exactly like Chuck has done. Put them head to head and "dance with the one who brung you"! For those who are still trying to decide which accessory coil might work best for you, I'll try to outline the differences between DD and concentric.

DD coils were designed specifically to reduce ground interference. For those not familiar with the construction of a DD coil, think of it as two capital letter D's. One is facing the correct way and the other one is reversed. In other words, they are back to back with the flat portions overlapping down the center and the curved portions making up the rounded shape of the coil. One D is the transmit winding and the other D is the receive winding. The field produced between the transmit winding and the receive winding where they overlap down the middle is called the positive detection field. That is the part that has to pass over a target to detect that target. The field produced by the transmit and receive windings located at the "outside edge" of the coil is a negative detection field. The cancelling effect of this negative field is what allows the DD coil to function better in mineralized soil.

A concentric coil is constructed with a Transmit coil surrounding a receive coil. Think of it as a donut with the transmit windings going around the outside. And the receive windings going around the inside, adjacent to the hole. (I know, that is a dumb analogy :shrug: ) The detection field is the area between the two windings that penetrates into the ground in what some consider to be a cone shape. When the windings are made as large as the coil shell can accomodate, you get the largest detection field and the greatest depth. Unfortunately, when used in mineralized soils, you also get the most ground interference. And the larger the coil, the more ground effects you have.

So, when you compare the performance of a DD coil and a concentric coil, there are many variables. Ground mineralization, adjacent targets and interference factors to name a few. At the end of the day, in a perfect world with no mineralization, a concentric coil will hunt deeper than a DD coil of the same size. Unfortunately, 1. we don't live in a perfect world and we don't hunt where the mineralization is zero; 2. Minelab doesn't make a 9-inch DD or a 10.5-inch concentric for comparison; And 3. when you throw the three X-Terra frequencies into the "which coil is deeper" mix, nothing will surprise me! JMHO

Thanks again Chuck
HH
Randy

n/t