Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

X-70 For Relic Hunting - Coil Choice's- Long

Reconmarine63

Hi Folks, I'm new to X-Terra Forum page I wish to pass on my experience in regards to X-70 Since I purchased In Jan. 07 . First I only hunting for for Civil War Relics mostly In MD, Va. USA. All Camps I hunted have been hard hit over 20+ years by many hunters and all tyles machines, So pure Depth and hunting in different soils is Key, the type of Soils I hunt range from nice sandy soils to "Red Hot Va. soil" unless you hunt in Va. Bad ground you must to understand how bad it IS!!. My first coil choice is 10.5 DD, it has super depth great ground coverage, and hunts well in sandy soil to bad Ground " {Hot Ground Id Different Ball Game} My Second choice is the 9 inch 3 KHz, It better depth then 7.5 KHz, and hunt areas loaded with nails and large iron better. I seen lots negative post about 3 KHZ in performance but Mode you hunt in can affect it depth . I always hunt in All Metal Mode with Only TWO TONES!! that right only 2 tones!!, you get more pure depth then hunting in any pattern settings, and super fast recover speeds and plus you can hear all targets, is very simple. In hunting real " Hot Soils" the 5x10 ellical is hands down best to hunt worse soil and super stable. I personal don't see how new 6 inch coil can improve in my relic hunt needs. My Dream Coil That I wish MInlab would make Would be 10.DD 3 KHz. Glad join this From and hope this information will help fellow Relic Hunters. Chuck Acton In Va. USA

Thanks for taking the time to lay out those uses. I am sure it will help someone who may be hunting in the same area or facing the same variety of conditions you do. Being a relic type guy you've keyed in on what works best and that's mighty helpful.

Funny thing is, and I've posted this before, I use the 3KHz for what it doesn't do well, which is respond to foil. So hunting in picnic areas for coins is much quieter using the 3KHz.

The Va ground has been noted over the years as having some very "hot ground". I am sure many, including myself, have always wondered "how hot is hot"? I don't know if you have seen this recent post on measuring mineralization level with the X70; http://www.findmall.com/read.php?55,574329,574329#msg-574329

but I sure would appreciate it if you would take some measurements in those "hot" areas. So yes, I am trying to enlist you to add a little more knowledge to the forum, because just like in real estate, you have location, location, location.:lol:

For those heading out to one of those organized hunts I think you could really help with your coil recommendations and mineralization levels they work best in. The other area I am really curious about are those red Georgia clays that so many talk about as being tough.

Thanks for contributing.

BarnacleBill

Welcome to the X-Terra forum and thanks for posting pics of your finds. Your explanation of which coil you use, and why, should be a great learning tool for many. From a personal standpoint, just knowing that others have found success with the 3 kHz coil is encouraging! I was beginning to think I was the only one who used it! In defense of having a 6-inch coil, much depends on where you are hunting and what it is you are looking for. In your case, you have determined that the targets you are hunting for remain in the ground due to being deeper than others have been able to hunt. The larger DD coil will do that for you. And for relic hunting, two tones will likely provide all the audio information you need. For many coin hunters, much of what is done in yards or parks, those old silver and copper coins might still there due to target masking. In that regard, a smaller coil should separate the targets better. As someone who hunts for old coins in old sites, I personally like either a 3-tone or 4-tone audio to more easily identify the target notch segments. Regardless of the coil size or the number of tones, the 3 kHz coil is my coil of choice. It works exceptionally well in locating higher conductive targets, as well as providing better rejection characteristics on ferrous targets. I find the 10.5-inch DD coils a bit heavy, but would encourage Minelab to build one at 3 kHz. In my opinion, it would be a silver and copper killer! HH Randy

The only Elliptical coil for the X-Terra is the 18.75 kHz. The round 9-inch concentrics are available in 3 kHz, 7.5 khz and 18.75 kHz. The 10.5-inch DD coils are available in 7.5 kHz or 18.75 kHz. And the 2 new 6-inch coils are available in either a 7.5 kHz concentric or the 18.75 kHz DD. HH Randy

I Use Only 5X10 Elipcal 18.75 for real bad ground area. I use the 10.5 DD most time, then by my 9 inch 3Khz since soil is far less stable.