Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

X-70 and DFX

KRS

Has anyone ever had a chance to compare the DFX and the X70 on depth, ID of target, and seperation of good targets and unwanted targets. I've been reading your forum and the X-70 sounds interesting. Thank you, Ken

Ken, I had my DFX for 3 years now and hunted almost exclusively with it until April of this year, that's when I got my X-70. I did find many good things with the DFX, but not at any great depths. The best depth I got was with my Explorer XS but the X-70 is no slouch in that department either. How's a smallish button at 13" sound? The DFX is a good machine but as you know, there are many adjustments and when I wasn't finding anything, I would fiddle with them, try different programs and that wasted time. You can go out with the X-Terra, turn it on and once it's Ground Balanced (simple), all you have to fool with is the Sensitivity and maybe change Disc. Patterns, that's basically it. You spend more time detecting is what it boils down to. The X-Terra is stable too, and doesn't false nearly as much as the DFX. It's light, has a very fast recovery speed and is almost fun to use. You still have Tone ID if you use that and a large display. The only gripe I have about the X-Terras is they don't come with a rechargable battery pack, but 4 Duracells will last about 40 hours with headphones. So the decision is yours but I thought I would add my 2 cents worth. If you get one, you will want the 10.5 DD and a 6" coil, that lineup covers most site and soil conditions. Ron

Thank you so much for your thoughts. I have a DFX and use the tone ID and the VID numbers all the time. I have been reading a lot on the X-70 and considering getting one, I will keep in mind the two loops recommend. Ken

Ron, one more question, the coil 6" what frequency and DD or CC, what frequency for the 10.5............Thanks Ken

The 6" DD is 18.75 kHz; the 6" concentric is 7.5kHz; the 10.5 DD is 18.75 kHz.
Don

Both units in competent hands do quite well but a DFX is a tweakers dream and an X-terra 70 is basically a user friendly unit and should serve you well..Personally I would concentrate on one coil and one program till you get the feel for it and then perhaps move on to perhaps another coil or program lest you get confused..I have tried them all and suggest you do a lot of reading, contact your local dealer or perhaps a proficient X-70 club member user for some insight..which will help..Any questions fire away as forum members are a big help...

Read the manual watch U-tube or video...noise cancel and ground balance easy, sens. use threshold like buzzing of bee and run your sens. as high as you can while keeping threshold stable..., pinpointing is a snap and of course units face is set up very well to make settings to your liking and once you find settings or programs to your liking go for it..Would advise you to use factory preset for your first couple trips and imagine your DFX will see lots of closet time...

TRY DAN (PA) ADVICE..He is a real detectorist and has vast knowledge on most of the detectors.
I have utilized his posts, and his shared knowledge he gives on this forum for nearly two years.. It works.
By the way Dan..if you haven't been thanked for your time and effort..consider it done Sir.

Have to say had the good fortune to use many units over the years and like to pass on my knowledge when I can, but do remember areas do differ, we all have our wants and needs and what works in my neck of the woods may not in yours..
Have to admit have had 16 good years but pushing 70 have slowed down but still get out when I can even though the trips are usually shorter. Enjoyed every aspect of the hobby except gold nugget hunting but if my area had gold nuggets instead of coal nuggets would have given that a shot also. For those that don't know Pa. does have glacier gold in some streams but is too small for metal detectors to pick up...