Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

x 50 or x70 ?

findit

considering one of them is the 70 really worth the extra money? main concern is depth and discrimination between the two. has anybody owned both and compared them

I have all three models and, as one of the Field Testers, have made many comparisons. As far as discrimination is concerned, both models have notch discrimination and allow the user to set any target to either be accepted or rejected, based on the conductivity of that target. The X-70 offers four ferrous notch segments and 24 conductive notch segments. The X-50 offers 3 notch segments and 15 conductive notch segments. Although both detectors will detect the same targets, the X-70 offers 50% more target notches, allowing the user to better determine the target prior to digging.

As far as depth is concerned.....In simple airtests, the depth differences are minimal if any. However (in addition to understanding how to properly operate your detector) properly adjusting your detector to a specific site just might be the difference between having a successful hunt and going home empty handed. As such, the X-70 will allow you to "auto tune" and "fine tune" some of the adjustments to a greater degree. The X-70 offers AutoGB, Auto NC, Tracking, Beach mode, Prospecting mode, more audio options, more Pattern modes, narrower notches, refined sensitivity settings, and a few other nice features.

In my opinion, if you are a land-locked coin hunter, you will do well with either. If you are a prospector, a beach hunter or someone who appreciates always having the "right tool for the job", you would benefit from the additional features of the X-70. (such as using Prospecting mode for target sizing, 3 kHz concentric coil for old silver and copper). Personally, I am a land-locked coin hunter and I think those two features alone are worth the price difference. But again, that is just my opinion. HH Randy

I had a 30 and 50 but if you can afford the 70 then go for it. The 70 will make you want for no other machine. I'm impressed with all it will and can do. I feel like there is no place I can't hunt unless it's underwater.

I'm convinced on the X-70. I even use it to find electrical cables in the wall at home before hanging a picture!

Seriously though: Spoke to a long time detectorist just yesterday who owns an X-70 and he says there's nothing like it for the beach. I'm yet to break mine in properly on the beach and so I have spent most of my time with it on the Goldfields. The more recent model usually has an edge over the previous model or the next one down. All the advice I was given from experienced users indicated that the X-70 was the better model for the gold fields but that on the beaches, the X-50 & X-70 were fairly close by use. I think the Beach Ground Balance Mode on the X-70 is a newer feature that allows better results in salt laden sand. With new detection modes, more control and TID options on the Flagship model and with new modes for both beach and prospecting, the X-70 comes out ahead.

The text below is copy-pasted from elsewhere online but might be helpful:

Here is a quick glance at some of the NEW features of X-Terra 70

- Audio options: single, 2, 3, 4-tone, or multi-tone
- Auto Ground balance and Tracking
- Manual Ground Balance
- Increased Discrimination segments
- Beach (Expanded) GB Mode, which can balance out salt and ferrous targets
- Prospecting mode with adjustable IM, and variable threshold tone
- 3 Disc Patterns + All-Metal
- Coins

thanks, i do not hunt beaches, mostly parks and old homesites. so my main concern i guess would be depth. now i know there is a little more room for adjutment on the 70 with the ground balance, so do you think it would be enough where it would make a big difference in depth? and speaking of depth what do they generally get on coin sized targets?

If you don't intend on going to the beach or especially prospecting then the 50 would do great. But if you have the funds get the 70. Just in case you need the extra features they will be there waiting for you.

I bought ther 50 and then traded up to the 70. I believe the additional features are well worth the additional cost. In bad ground the auto ground balance and ground tracking are very useful. Both are good machines, but the 70 is more versatile.