Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Wreck of the Schooner.. "Jennie M. Carter"

Ron J

Today, i took little Nic, James, and Max out of their Mom's hair, for awhile. I figured i would take a 30 minute ride, North, to Salisbury Beach.[attachment 78881 Salisburybeach081.jpg] Its a ghost town, this time of year. In Summer, its packed with people because of its sandy long beach. This area was well known, in its hay day,for its amusement park. Had the giant wooden Roller coaster, Dodgems, Ferris wheel etc,but it became run down in the 70's and 80's. Now its mostly eating establishments,and arcades, that keep it going..barely. Speaking of "barely" it also has a well known strip joint.."TENS". And NO, i have never been in the place,but know its a "Goldmine" for the town. The reason i take a ride there is twofold, one to see the ocean waves, and second to stop at Christies Pizza! Their open year round, take out only. The square pizza slice,with a round slice of provolone added,Oh Ya! A box of ten, doesn't go far, two for me, one for each grandson,to gobble immediately in the warm truck, bring home two for their Mom,Wendy, and two for Linda,and the last for me, hopefully! While parked, looking out at the surf and ocean, gobbling the pizza, i lucked out, because it was a minus low-tide. If i had known that,i would have brought my Excalibur...oh well.(It was too cold anyway) As usual had the camera though! Minus low-tide, meant i could view the ribs of an old sunken Schooner, i had seen about ten years ago,while detecting,but didn't have my camera with me at that time. I talked to an ol timer,at that time,and asked about the vessel. He didn't know the name,but remembered as a kid, he could walk completely around her at low tide! Rising sea level has changed that a little.Since seeing her,back then,i acquired a couple of, old turn of the Century,postcards. Well now was my unexpected photo opportunity to shoot some of my own photo's! The Schooner "Jennie M. Carter" while en route from Rockland Maine to New York, loaded with brick,and granite blocks, got caught up in a Nor' Easter in April 1894. About a few miles South of Salisbury, in the Ipswich area, she lost her rudder and fore top Mast. With no steering, she drifted back North to this spot, after the Captain, with his Niece,and crew,fled in lifeboats, never to be found. They may have lived,if they stayed aboard, for the Ships Cat, survived the storm,and was saved. Here are the two postcards,circa 1905/1915.[attachment 78884 ScannedImage.jpg] [attachment 78885 ScannedImage-2.jpg And here we have as she looks today....Click on the second photo, you can get a pretty good idea of her beam,(width) [attachment 78886 Salisburybeach066.jpg] [attachment 78887 Salisburybeach076.jpg] Rj

I think it is neat that you also have some post cards of the wreck of the schooner "Jennie M. Carter." Very interesting story, thanks for posting it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

stand up all these years in the surf. Here is a list of some more....Just click on them and it will show pictures of them and how and why it sunk...Gotta be a few near you. Royal would have a ball there......

http://www.aquaexplorers.com/Shipwrecks_New_England.htm

Geo

salt water. I think I mentioned that my father had a boat marina so I was out on the water all the time. I found a lot of stuff back then and dove a lot on any wreck we could find, be it shallow or deep. We had a SCUBA Club then, the Junior Dolphins and thats all that was on our minds, well that and girls. Now I go to the beaches but its detecting for anything metal. Way back we used to like to find the Japanese glass buoys. They bring decent money, more now. For the most part we were wharf rats just out having fun in a marine enviorement. We did diving, clamming, lobsters, blue shell crabs, scallops, fish of all types. Fun way to grow up. I lived on and island in the summer from the day school got out, until labor every summer in wall tent. Loved every minute of it. Best times of my life spent there. When ever the hurricanes came thru, we would find all kinds of boats beat up on the shorelines or sunk on rocks. Just off the island we stayed on it used to be a target range for planes and there were about 3 planes there on the bottom in about 30 feet of water. We found them from the draggers getting hung up on them with their nets. They were a good source for diving.

George-CT

from them. Just click on name of ship. Some are in shallow waters. Great dive spots. Geo

http://www.wreckhunter.net/mawrecks.htm

I'm amazed that it is not sanded in so much. Hmmm The post cards really add to the story. Thanks so much for taking the time to share these gems with us.

aj

That was funny, you nut. :lol: Boy Ron....what a treat it'd be to snoop around a wreck like that. Just a great area you and George live around.......amazing tales of history ! Great post ! :thumbup:

if they were hauling granite and materials from maine to new york.the good thing was it kept people employed and making money.i figured freight ships would sail as close to shore as possible.interesting.

n/t

photos and the old postcards were very interesting! That looks like it might be a dectector's heaven. Do they let you detect around it? Also, did someone ever go into the ship and get the granite and other stuff? And, oh yeah, I bet you read Playboy for the "articles"! :lol:

kids were up here this weekend! Brrrrrrrrrr +7* this morning.

on many of the islands that dot the Connecticut coastline. Most of these were Civil Defense or something like that. Then, a lot of the guns were still there as well as many of the wooden buildings. Today, all that is left of many is the stone buildings, or gun mounts, power storage buildings or shot making ovens. We as kids would play all kinds of war games and as we grew older got interested in digging old bullet heads/shells in the trenches, Today, most of these are off limits with the exception of two that I know of. Here is a shot of one I took last year and it over looks New London harbor. Geo-CT

n/t

where an old hotel dock piling appears briefly at a minus tide. I've only seen it twice in twenty years.

I have dove on a number of them. Nothing much left of them in the shallow water but below 100ft they are in great condition. I often wonder at the story's they could tell!

Thanks Ron. Another interesting post:thumbup: