Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

WOW!

Buddysox

Was just looking around the internet and came across a unit on the Kellyco site called "Golden King" ground penetrating radar.I have heard a lot of dirt fisherman here say they will change their brand when one comes along that show a picture of whats in the ground and tell how deep. Well........... this one claims to do just that! It's huge and bulky and at over $5000.00 a little out of my budget. I just wonder if someday this thing will be perfected and downsized. Maybe the wave of the future? A very interesting read for a dedicated detectorist. Paste this link into your browser and see. Several pages on it.

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/nokta/nokta_buy.htm

This is the most advanced electromagnetic detection system ever produced. Golden King (Detector) Deep Processor Radar was produced using the ARM9 micro-processing technology

Funny this is the same processor that the White's V3 is using. The 3D images look cool, but I didn't see anything that resembled a coin or ring in the ground. I'd be curious to know if this thing really works (3 - 8 meters depth?.....how would you retrieve the target?) - if so I'd plunk down $6K if I could actually see what was in the ground. I'd need to see some recorded demos first.

there is a smaller version coming out soon, and I will announce it when it does.

As with most detectors, the bigger the object the deeper it goes, after 4 meters the target ID gets iffy and just will tell you something has displaced the dirt.
Like i said not meant for coin hunting.

I'd be real interested in the smaller model when it comes out if in fact you can see a graphical representation of the item in the ground instead of trying to figure out what it is based on sqeals and squeaks. If it really works put me down for one!

The write-up on your site does say this about the unit:

Surface Search Heads are especially good at searching for objects that are small and close to the surface. The Search Head is capable of good results at high resolution down to maximum 0-3 meters. It is ideal for detecting single coins, and it is much more sensitive to small metals on the surface than any other search heads.

Hey, JW, how about a shout on this forum when and if they do anything with this technology. I think we would all like to hear about it. My thoughts are that if they would package this type of machine into a unit that could give a good image down to around two feet deep and be reliable with the metal content readings for under $2,000, the metal detecting world would flip. The photos show kellyco people putting it thru its paces outside the business. How did you guys like it? I'm just wondering if this is the next step in the evolution of metal detectors.

Okay. did some sleuthing and found the parent company web site.........In Turkey! They DO have a metal detector type unit available as well as scientific and military units.Tried to download the manual but it wouldn't work. Take a look here
http://english.noktadedektor.com/meta-106-ps.asp

This will be of no use for coin/relic guys. The pixel size is just too small (an inch or two across, or whatever). So all items like pulltabs, coins, rings, foil globs, can slaw, etc... will all be just "one pixel" across, for example. What good will that do you? And as for bigger things (a can that would perhaps be several pixels across): most any user can already tell a larger item (even at depth), verses a coin-sized target. So what's the use?

It says 7" TFT screen and I think I read somewhere where it said VGA quality graphics - so I'm not sure where you got the gigantic pixel thing from. The resolution looks pretty good to me, but the images didn't really show me what they were looking at (I don't see a coin or a ring in the ground....just a cool 3D graph) - the documentation is rough and I think they need to hire a good graphics designer. I'm a skeptic until I see this thing in action especially given the country or origin: Turkey, I was a little surprised at that....I would have expected such an innovation to come from US, Israel, France, Germany, Japan. The literature speaks at how great it is for a single coin and tiny targets, but JW says it's for large treasure and/or cashes so I'm a bit confused at the whole thing. The ARM9 processor is the same on that White's is using in the new V3 and I was surprised to see that it's running Linux. If this thing can do what they are saying then I would love to see this thing - even buy one if it's under $10K.......can you imagine what seeing into the ground up to 2' will do for recovery time and the hobby. I think with this capability parks WILL really be hunted out!

The cool thing is how it can ID a target as ferrous, alloy, Precious alloy, and Gold.

Erik, you say: "The literature speaks at how great it is for a single coin and tiny targets". Yes, I'm sure the literature says that. I'm sure it will pick up coin-sized targets, just as any metal detector can :) That's not the issue. The problem is that ...... yes it can pick up coins perhaps, but no, you will not be able to discipher anything in small enough pixels to be of any use to you. Ie.: you can't tell a square tab shape, from a round-coin shape, from a ring shape, from a bracelet shape, etc... All such smaller things will be one-pixel across.

My explorer says it's "great for single coins and tiny targets" too, but doesn't show shapes either. I think the advertisers took a little liberty to allow readers to be duped, by that statement, into thinking that if it works "great" for coins and tiny targets, and "if it shows shapes", then THEREFORE, "it must show shapes down to tiny targets". I do not think that's the case. Yes you will hear tiny targets (just like any coin/relic machine), but no, the shape ID feature will only be of use for larger targets.

But in any case, I'm not so sure that machines that could show shapes down to tabs verse rings, verses foil globs, etc... will be of much good for m'ding. It would only be of use if targets were lying flat. If they even had the SLIGHTEST tilt, you could kiss meaningful information down the drain.

I knew a guy, back in the 1980s, who milked lots of silver coins out of a certain park. Naturally, since it was the "silver rush" days, he had cranked the disc, and passed all the tabs, foil, etc... One day, he got a hunch that there certainly MUST be lots of gold rings, good nickels, etc... that he'd been passing. So he made it his mission, to strip-mine every single signal out of a certain area, that had given him the most old coins. He lowered his disc. control to barely knocking out nails, and painstakingly dug every single beep, no matter how small. After dozens and dozens of hunts, over many many months, and hundreds and hundreds of holes, he did indeed find several gold rings, a few pieces of gold jewelry, and a few worthless orange buffalos and V's. He concluded that it just wasn't worth the time in the turf, and that his time would've been better spent, if jewelry were his goal, just trolling swimming beaches. But he made an odd discovery while he was on this experiment: since he was going slow, and making painstaking written records of all TIDs, depths, angles, etc... (thinking he was going to break the "ring code"), he noticed that whenever he got a gold ring with any sort of a crown, that they always tilted slightly towards the heavier crown end. In fact, some with a crown were vertical on edge. Only bands laid fairly flat. All others tilted.

So you can see that if a lot of gold rings are going to lay tilted in the ground, then shape-showing is going to be a hassle. And as for bracelets, how would the tangled shape of that, be any different than strips of can-slaw or whatever? Not meaning to be a kill-joy, but just bringing this up for conversation. What we REALLY need, is NOT a machine that shows shape or conductivity, but rather: A machine that shows actual COMPOSITION. Ie.: gold verses aluminum :)

Good points Tom. As I said I saw lots of pretty 3D plots in the literature, but I can't seem to make out any targets at all - certainly not coins or rings. The litertaure alludes to being able to rotate a target in real time. JW's post seems to indicate that it will tell you whether something is gold or not, which if true would be huge in and of itself - I have no idea why this seems to be such a huge problem for today's machines, e.g., I don't care what kind of coin I have, just tell me if it's silver or not. Same with gold items in the ground. I don't know if the writers of the literature are taking any liberties with the language, but they got my attention and now the ball's in their court to deliver what they are promising.

Yes, you guys have a lot of good points.Sure doesn't seem that the cure all is here, but some one is going in the right direction. Personally I think that the technology is out there for a quantum leap in detectors. Just that someone with real brains has to put it together in the right package, just think,a minelab with say, an added feature of a good and usable VISUAL representation of whats in the ground! I don't care what company or country does it. Remember Motorola came out with the first usable and small flip type cell phone. They thought it was a done deal and rested on their hands until a little company called NOKIA came along and gave the people what they wanted and blew them right out of the market! Please, Minelab take note! Your customers will buy Minelab because its the best. Keep it that way. Don't get blown out by an upstart!.

lots of useable info in this post. Thanks guys.

And thanks for the comments Guys, I think that discussion by forum members like us has a greater influence than we think. Any company in the detector field that doesn't pay attention to comments by their best consumers will soon be left behind. Like I said earlier Motorola led the field, but dropped the ball and didn't follow up on it,and died in the process. I will just issue A CHALLENGE to MINELAB and say Your last three units are only really separated by adding bells and whistles. Don't sit on your hands and tell yourself " It works good and its selling, so why change it". A company in Turkey could light a fire in the market and blow you out while you take a long lunch.
Okay, that being said I hope somebody at Minelab is reading this and saying to himself "Just wait til our new model comes out and this Guy will eat his words!" I really hope that's the case.