Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Wow what a find this weekend

LuckLarry

As any of you could robably guess the purchase of an MXT, a
4x7 coil, an Eclipse DeepScan 1400, a Bullseye Probe (Usless) and a few other accessories can run into a collection of gear worth well in excess of a $1000.00.
Like any fine piece of exreem quality electronics gear one feels a need for good protection for it. I went looking this weekend for a real vault to haul my gear around in. My biggest challenge is that instead of driving my 9 mile to the gallon, 1995 Full size Bronco with 35X12.50X15 tires and a 6" lift. pumping a 351 Cubic Inched, Tow packaged Mega Mother Truck. (My kids named it Tiny). These days I spend most of my bucket seat time in a 52 MPG diminuative 1992 Geo Metro. So my requirment were that the box had to be just big enough for the gear but small enough to open the back hatch and pass the box over the top of the back part of the back seat so I could set it into the rear seat itself. Anyone who owns one of these knows that is a tall order. I was sure I was going to have to spend $179.00 dollars for some case made just for it. Well I went to Walmart to just see what I could find. I spent a good deal of the time in the plastics department and did find a 96 Quart Clear plastic container that was several inches longer and a bit wide and tall. You know the kind with the seperate lid that snaps on easy but take a small army to pry it off.

Well this was the best I thought I could do, so off I went with it in my cart. But Whoa!!! Hold the Horses, and Back up the Truck. I walked past the Hardware department on my way to the register and found this beauty. It is called a small Truck Box, Built by Rubber Maid. High Qwality stuff.

I lokked at it and thought, probably to short. I set the MXTin it. Man did it fit nice. I thpought well probably not tall enough to close the lid. Hey did the guy that built this thing design it just for an MXT? A perfect fit when the lid hinged closed. Well I looked at the nice tray that came with it and was dead sure that I would probably have to throw it away because the display is tall enough to come right up to the lid. Well I am sure youve guessed by now. It also fit perfectly, just clearing the display and making everything snug as a custom job. I was hooked. I am going to try to attach some pictures. I really hope I can. You will be amazed. OH the Cost? $38.00 dollars. My pick and Folding Shovel as well
all my other accessories fit right into this little marvel. Hopefully I did not shrink the pictures to much for you to appreciate the precision of the fit.

I hope this helps someone else out there as much as you guys have helped me.

HH. Lucky Larry

First, I can't figure why you'd want to take a detector apart? Maybe for shipping when traded or sold, but once I assemble a detector, I keep it that way so that it's ready to get into action. Humm, must just be one of my quirks! ;)

Actually, for those who need to tote their detector, I think that's a great idea. Definitely a lot better than a detector bag, and a little tactfully placed padding would make that a good air transport set-up, too, maybe?!?

Second, I note that you have the most versatile of the three coils mounted and ready-to-go, and that's how it should be.

Third, let's not sell the excellent EXcelerator coil short ... it's actually a 4

I do like it, and I am considering getting one. Do you have a product number, or measurements? I want to make sure I get the

Hey Monte,
Your like one of my folk hero's. I read you a lot.
In answer to your question about why I would want to take a detector apart. In all honesty I wish I didn't have to but hey, Have you ever driven a Geo Metro. This car is tiny, it only weighs in at 1100 lbs. It is a motorcycle with a windshield, and in my case, Ham Radio, on-board GPS, APRS, MP3 player, FM Modulator, etc, etc. I also live in a very hot area of the southwest deserts. so the detector needs to set centered under the sheet metal of the roof of the vehicle as far away from the windows as possible. I did not show them in the picture but I carry several full size towels to pad everything, wrap the pick and shovel and the like. The only dismantling I do to the detector by the way is push in the two buttons slide the lower tube off and fold it into the box. The wires stay attached and nothing else is disturbed. Takes maybe 15 seconds. I find hand towels a little small for the digging that goes on here. OH to live in a grassy part of the world where I could dig nice small plugs with grass on top! I live on very rural ranch desert, miles from the closest small town. If I ever get a reading under a cow pie I may finally have a lid I can put back on my work.

Thank you Monte for all the great reading and experience you have imparted in the past I have read hundreds of post here long before I ever felt I deserved to pipe in.

Oh yeah one more thing before I forget. Does anyone know if their are any good lightweight open air Earphones that might work well for detecting. I don't wear snake chaps because of the heat, and the other day as I was walking a wash deeply into the tone of my very good earphones, I knelt down to dig a hit. When I pulled off the phones I found myself face to fang with a diamondback that was going off like a fire alarm just beside my head in between some desert brush. I nearly forgot to go back for the detector! fortunately he struck the headphones when they fell to the ground. Snakes go for warm targets and I guess the sun had warmed them up a lot. Anyway I will not be using them again until cooler weather when the snake threat goes down. I did not take anything out of that wash that day. I may however have left something :) And I'm not talking about my detector.

Jeff in MI:
Hey Jeff I just happened to have saved the big old cardboard add from off the side of the box just for this eventuality. I will send a picture in this post. Jeff I the leather blade cover on the shovel blade has belt loops built in it. Of course I have a couple of plastic scoops, a worthless bullseye pin pointer, a magic claw, water and several other items that were not in the picture, all can fit very well into the box. What I do though is carry a five gallon bucket along with me. I have cut off all but two of the tabs that hold the lid so firmly to the bucket. It makes a great seat,(very important in low desert area, (cactus make lousy resting places) it holds all the peripherals well, and just looks like and old bucket of no value riding behind my back seat, when not in use. You may have also noticed a strange little orange detector in the box. This little thing only seems to read 3" deep at most, and I use it for pinpointing because the no good bullseye ll does nothing for me. (it may be a lemon of course, it has never even worked in theaudible mode since I got it.)

OK. here is the picture. I know you wont know how well this works until you try it. When the detector set in the way I have it, there is no shifting around at all.

That's a great little storage box! Very nice idea. I like the fact that you have all your coils with you. I'm getting around to mounting mine on separate rods so I can use either coil (only have 2 at the moment).

Great use of a storage box, LL.

Regards,

Kenfen

Hey bud you got lucky with the diamondback,wish i had luck like that!!detectro pro makes a pair of headphones called the rattler,ha ha with just one earcup so you can hear them before they nail you....hope this helps hh kd

Thans KS Digr!
I will order some up. That was a very serious moment. I am dying to get back out there but I really think I will wait untill I have the safer earphones.

Luck, Larry