Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

WOW! never thought I would find one of these!….

Mike from MI "Iron Brigade"

Staff member
I have been on many CW hunts out east and have seen many reales found. Always wanted to find one but never figured it would be a "BIG" 8 reales! I met up with some friends to hunt an old park. On our way we came across some street construction in the old part of town. We decided the the park wasn't going anywhere but the construction would be done soon enough. The street was gone and the curbs. The grass areas and sidewalks still remained except for at each intersection, about 10' of sidewalk was gone at the corners. Well a few blocks down I was searching a corner of sidewalk bed and got a good coin hit. I put my hand digger in and out popped a big dark disc. I thought it was a big washer or? Then I noticed an "old" eagle on the back. I knew it was pre Morgan so I thought I had a trade dollar. I soon realized it was an old Spanish 8 Reales. The date is 1832. The sidewalk was laid in 1900 so it had been buried at least 115 years. But since it was about 4" deep in the dark dirt under the sidewalk I think much longer. I had to use electrolysis to clean it up then took it to my coin dealer to authenticate it. I entered it last night in the find of the month contest at our metal detecting club and it won best coin! It's also now my oldest silver. For those that don't know, these are as big as a silver dollar. Hope you guys like it as much as I do.
[attachment 311888 photo3copy2.JPG] [attachment 311889 photo4copy.JPG]

That sure is a keeper ! Congrats & wtg on stopping for the sidewalk work. Many others would have gone to the park. Steve in so la

That is one nice coin. Did you have to change your pants?

Mike....that is a great coin....I like the old Mexican silver...the designs are very beautiful.....my in-laws live in the Rio Grande Valley and in the 70's and 80's or so I use to pull out of some of the school yards there coins like yours but of the smaller denominations....I have never found an 8 Reales....Congrats....PTL.....Joe

n/t

Never seen one before - very cool indeed. I still think your name is HOOVER lol

Congrats for that is a great find....glad you finally found one as God answers prayers and blesses us sometimes by fulfilling our wants! God Bless! Ma