Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

would I benefit from a Probe and Dig-Meter

madmax800

Hi all,
Well its been 2 weeks now since I bought the Sov GT, been out Saturday and Sunday both weekends. I am slowly getting a feel for the MD but still seem to have a problem pinpointing and also trying to identify what the target is, all the tones sound similar to me, maybe I'm tone deaf.
Do you think I would gain and have an easier time if I spent a few more of those UN-FOUND coins and invest in the probe and digi meter.
If so what brands would you recommend. As I am in Australia(home of the minelab) you would think these would be easy to get hold of and pay a reasonable price but thats where your wrong. To me it seems like us Aussie's pay a premium to keep the prices down for the rest of the world.If any 1 has some good on line dealers that may deliver to Australia or links to web pages that give details of these 2 items i would really appreciate them.
Looking forward to your views.
A big thanks to all the help you guys have given

Any probe is better than no probe, but they won't help you much pinpointing before you dig......they don't have the depth of the detector. You need to learn how to pinpoint with the detector first and use the probe as necessary during the coin retrieving process.

The Sunray S-1 is the best for a Sov.....it's really a small coil that you switch in in place of the main coil. Uses the detector's discrimination to help you find the right object in the hole or dirt pile.

For hunting coins or any other objects that have a predictable conductivity the Minelab Digimeter will help a lot until you get used to the sounds. It will also help you differentiate between good targets and bad that are close in conductivity.

I suspect that you are trying to pinpoint wrong if you are having very much trouble. Only took me a few minutes to figure it out.......
I had been pinpointing with a different detector in disc mode. Was too much trouble to switch to all metal and detune . Found that since the Sov is a motion only detector that it pinpoints nearly the same way as the other detector in disc mode.....but had to make allowances for the DD coil as opposed to the concentric.

You may be able to find some dealers that will help you out over here, but you may have to bite the bullet on shipping charges and customs fees. Have not looked up current exchange rates, so I don't know how your dollars compare to ours.

HH

YES , I feel both of these items would be benifical and will improve your detecting skills and you overall experence will be more pleasurable.The tones are are kinda similar but the high and low are real obvious, within the high and low tones there is a whole nuiance to each sound, example a broken pulltab will be a low tone and similar to a gold ring,what I try to listen for is a rapid sucession of beeps the junk kinda sounds sickly and the seires of beeps is much slower and futher apart. It all sounded the same to me too, but now its pretty obvious,I like having a meter but find myself looking at it less and less,relying on the meter too much will handcuff you into only digging those with a ''good number'' , I find the more i rely on the sounds I see silver coming in lower than the meter reading typically would have it at , as for a probe you certianly need to purschase the S-1 Probe made by SUNRAY its the best thing sience sliced bread............good luck man .....try one of the sponsers they should be able to hook you up even down-under ....peace

You are seeing some of what most go though trying to learn this detector, but stick with it and once you learn a little more you will do great.
First thing make sure your signals are repeatable, try from a different angle too to see if they are still there to make sure it is not a iron falsing. Now when you go to pinpoint it, switch to all metal as your other toggle switch should be in pinpoint, if not you will have a harder time pinpointing. Now go side to side and stop where the target seems to be the loudest and centered. Push the coil to the ground so it don't move off that spot and turn the coil 90 degrees and go side to side again and stop when you have the loudest signal and centered. Now you will find the target right under the very center of the coil. If this had been a surface target it may be hard to do it this way, so this is where in all metal and pinpoint you go side to side and keep the signal, so it will only be a inch or so and while doing this bring the coil back to you until the signal starts to go away. Now what i will do it stop the side to side as you have it centered if only going a inch or so, but now I will push the coil forward and backwards so I can see where the signal starts and stops and stop right on the very edge of it. Now this target will be on the very tip or back about a inch from the very tip of the coil.

To me the Sovereign should always come with a meter and if not you need to purchase one as it makes the learning process faster and easier as you have a digital reference to the tones you hear, so what you hear is what you see on the meter. Many of the tones are so close for the human ear to hear it is cant be done and where the meter can tell those close targets you cant hear the difference in.
Without a meter you will dig more, but you also will dig more good targets too along with a lot more of trash, so for a coin hunter a meter is important, but for beach hunting it is not if you want to gold.
A Pin pointer like the S-1 Probe of Sun Rays is also very important to find the target and get on to the next target without spending alot of time and digging some big hole in park and lawns. I feel the S-1 probe has increased my finds by a good 30% or more as I spend less time trying to find them. I also find the targets close to the surface to 4 inches I can use my probe to find them before I dig.

Now as far as shipping to you I am sure it can be done, but it may take a while to get there plus you may have to pay customs or extra shipping, so this is something you will have to consider.
I am a sponsoring dealer of these forums for Minelab, Sun Ray and a few other detectors and I have my banner on the top of this forum, so if you are interested in a Minelab digital meter or a S-1 probe I am sure we can work out something.
There also a few used meters and probes out there too, so you may want to advertise for one on the classified or other classified or even check a few sponsoring dealers too.
If you have any questions feel free to personal message me.

Rick

Hi Rick,
Can you quote me on both the Sov digi-meter and a S1 probe.
Any idea on postrage to Australia post code 5159
Thanks

madmax800.

:ausflag:
Hi madmax800

You can buy the SUNRAY PROBE S1 at the sunray dealer in PERTH ,OZ.
for $295.:clapping:

Regards Pinpointa. down under.

:ausflag:

Hi madmax800,
The $295 is for the S1 probe for the QUATTRO OR EXPLORER. For the GT SOVEREIGN it could be cheaper.

Regards PINPOINTER DOWN UNDER.:thumbup:

Hey MadMax, You CANNOT GO WRONG, DEALING with Rick! He is ONE OF THE BEST!! He will always make time to GIVE ADVICE to ANYONE, and his advice is VERY CREDITABLE!! Best of luck, hh, NamVetLesTreasureSeeker