Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Worst pay scale ever

TwT

Hi, I am fairly new to detecting and have a new Sov GT that I am still learning to use, yesterday was hell, I went to a new beach (maybe 3 years old) here around the lake I live by, it was a small beach and I was playing with the settings on my GT to learn it, well think I got the learning part for beaches anyway, after all the digging I did in about a 3 hour time frame I could have dug a hole for a 500 gallon septic tank with a hand scoop, man I feel like someone beat me with a board today but did find a lot if you into collecting trash. for all my digging work I found 78 beer bottle caps, 4 lead sinks 1/4oz- 3/8 oz, 4 small brim hooks, 13 pull tabs, 3 batteries, 1 key, 3 very small pieces of wire, a bread tie rap, 1/2 hose clamp, 2 small washers, 7 nails, 6 bolts, 3 nuts 1/4", 2 beer cans,,,,,, 7 pennies, 1 nickle, 8 dimes, and 1 quarter,,,,,,, I should have bought a smaller detector because this GT was making me dig dimes at 12 inches, one of the small brim hooks was at 6 inches and I have to say its hard to find a small brim hook in the sand, the quarter was at almost 14 inches, oh and dug a little over 2 feet on a buried beer can, now why in the heck would someone bury a can that deep so I would have to dig it up ?? well I have heard most all people say their detection has paid for itself, at the rate I going so for it will take about 20 years :0 , and I should be in shape enough after all that digging to pick up a truck, another thing I learn this beach must be a poor mans beach, just a little change and a bunch of drunks and maybe one day I might learn how to run this GT...... well just needed to vent, thanks for you support!!!! I thought detecting was fun and still think it is but when I walked from this beach it looked like pictures from a old world war, looked like bombs went off everywhere!!!!! oh the beach is close for the winter so the hole will be filled in soon , got tire of filling them in ....... its ok about the holes, with all the rain we been having the beaches has eroded and some ahave a few ditches about 1 deep and with the beaches being closed until march, they will come in and put more sand down and rework them, they always do that's why I decided on not worrying about it..... I knew I should have even though my brother-n-law is the one over them, ;) trust me this will be fine... but on other beaches I will fill all holes, the main reason I was working these was because he told me they were fixing to put alot more sand out and fix the erotions. he was the one that told me if I was going to work them do it fast because the were hauling in tons of sand to put on the beaches... but will fill all holes during beach open time or on other beaches, but good point thanks.....

I'm sorry but your post makes me chuckle.. Being a PI user I know about digging up trash.. :) Sometimes it takes some work to dig up and remove all the trash and then go over the same area again to listen for whispers of deep targets that can be good targets. My detector cost me $600 dollars and I have paid for it many times over not that I sell my finds because I don't. Have patience and you will find good stuff as well as bad.. Look at it this way you're doing your part to clean up the environment and if anyone was to question you while you're detecting you can show him all the trash you are removing.

You should detect those wash outs you are finding I would think they would hold some good stuff.

Remember our coils have to go over a good target to find it :)

The way I look at all the trash is that I probably saved someone from a nasty cut by removing all the sharp and pointed stuff. It can spoil a kid's day. HH

ok everyone, I decided to go back to that beech and detect around the picnic table's, so while leaving the house I grabbed a garden rake and when I got to the area I filled all the hole's, I decided to play with the discrimination a bit to cancel out the beer bottle tops but not coins and pull tabs, it was chattery at first then I turn the sensitivity down until the chattering stopped and a hunting I went, I got to one spot and heard a high pitch and racked the leaves back and there was a dime, picked it up and tried the spot again and it went off again, well before it was over I found 3 dimes and 6 pennies in that one spot and ended up finding total 1 quarter, 6 dimes, 1 nickle, and 17 pennies and all hole were fixed like I never been there . learned one thing about the GT today, the coins signal is a higher pitch than pull tabs......

Hey TWT;
Glad to hear about that foray you made to the lake, also that you are learning the machine. Sounds like you have an AWESOME detector! You'll become more well acquainted with ibuprofen!:rofl:
I'll try to get up your way this weekend with my detector.

Sounds almost like you were in all-metal, from the descriptions of your targets. I don't know how the controls work on the Sov., but I'm running in disc and Discrimination on 1. I don't dig iron unless it comes up with a non-ferrous target. You could be at a disadvantage with the Sov TwT, simply because of your inability to really water hunt. Yes, there are some good targets on the wet/dry sand, but the water holds the MOTHER LODE. Higher density targets like coins, silver gold and lead are out there, possibly just beyond where it would be safe to use the Sov. Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing the Sov, as I use an Excal. Same difference, except I have 200 ft submersible capabilities. Tenacious Perseverence will overcome adversity!