Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

wiring toggle switch

findit

How do you wire a toggle switch on the cibola to replace the pp button so you can run it in am without holding a button and will it work just like any other detector that has an am mode?

Either replace the button with a on/off/momentary on single pole double throw (spdt) toggle. If you leave the button in place you will have to wire it in parallel. Or replace the button completely with the toggle. You will have to solder a jumper across the outer terminals on the spdt switch. This switch will let you activate the pp mode by holding the toggle one way. Then as soon as you release the pressure the switch flips to off by a spring. Then if you flip the switch the other way it will lock until you flip it back. This is the switch I would install. I have several of these switches.

Findit,

Why don't you just run your Vaquero, other than ruining a great detector like the Cibola? They are the same machines other than the V has GB. Plus you can turn the Disc off and run in all metal.

I agree but now that I like to hunt in am what to do with the cibola? Hate to let it sit there, it is brand new and wish I never bought it. have not even used it yet because of that and no manual gb. But I figure if I could at least convert it to am switch I could live without the manual gb. Don't know what I was thinking

Hunting in a true All metal mode you will often/usually/possibly get an audible hit on a near-pass target. One that is just a little too far from the coil for it to respond when in the Discriminate mode, and it's possible that a return sweep in that mode will be farther off. By hunting open areas in All Metal (a conventional Threshold-based All Metal), you increase the odds of hearing a target on the fringe of your coil during the sweep and can redirect the sweep to better acquire the target and check it in the Disc. mode. It also lets you know if the site is target-free, or if there is some iron that can cause masking. I hunt in All Metal mode a bit over 50% of the time, depending upon the site I am hunting.

I agree with a couple of your other statements that the idea of changing to a toggle is often a "gee whiz, look what I have" attitude that gets done just to do it by some, but some modifications are functional.

The Vaquero does have the same pushbutton feature as the Cibola as well as a clicked setting for All Metal operation.

Monte

I did a similar mod to a Silver Sabre umax. I like being able to toggle into am and leave it there for some hunting. However, if I were doing it again, I'd probably replace the pinpoint button with a push on (locked) push off (unlocked) button. By the way the pinpoint button on the SSumax actually broke the circuit to go into all metal which caused me some confusion in wiring it up at first. Due to that as I mentioned, I'd just replace the original with a push on, push off button.
HH
Bill

You said its brand new, I would just sell it and get something else as your backup. If you mod it, I'm not sure Tesoro will honor your warranty.

Another thought - Don't sell the Cibola quite so short without trying it "as is". I have another SS umax besides the one I wired the switch into, and both machines have done a good job. Even with the preset gb, I haven't had much problem in any ground I've hunted. As you have another detector with the am mode and manual ground balance, it isn't like you are desperate for those features. Give it an honest try before you modify it. My two bits.
Bill

:tesoro:i would not get rid of that detector i would keep it for a quick grab and go just have fun one. don't let the preset ground balance get you down, they work quite well and sometimes better. i know there is allot of debate on this, but unless you are really experienced like Monte, the preset will work good for you. it would not hurt to have one that has a MGB, but don't discount the cibola it is a good detector, and is able of good finds. learn from other people this is wise but don't replace your experiences with theirs. besides it is good to have more than one detector as each has it strong and weak points. happy hunting.