Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Winter On The Gold

C. Nyal de Kaye

We have been out of action for over two years due to my wife's ill-health. After two operations and twelve trips to hospital the doctors declared that she was well enough to go away again: hooray! So we hooked up the off-road van and away we went. My wife's sister, who is also a prospecting nut case, came with us in her own car and caravan.

We headed for Western Australia and, at our rate of travel, it took ten days to get there driving from Sydney across the Nullabor Plain to Kalgoorlie and then another 600kms (360 miles) north from there. It's almost 4000kms (2400 miles) one way. We were looking for somewhere that had not been flogged by thousands of other prospectors with Minelabs.

We couldn't find such a utopian spot, even so far from the well-known areas, and so set out doing the very hard work of detecting seriously flogged sites. We were using Minelab GPX 5000 and GPX 4500. You almost never see other brands on the goldfields in Oz. Our ground is highly mineralised and most brands simply can't cope with it. Minelab are an Australian company and make detectors that really do work in Australian conditions. I cannot comment on their effectiveness elsewhere, but on Australian goldfields they are the detector of choice.

Everywhere we went was "chained". Chaining is done by dragging a heavy chain along to mark a line that shows where you have detected and to enable you to cover all the ground reasonably carefully and without duplication.

We found a great area that had been scraped. Scraping takes the surface off the ground, along with the "not-too-deep" gold, and the scrapings are then processed to remove the gold. Scraped areas are usually rich ground as it is costly to do the scraping. Careful and accurate detecting of a scraped area can be quite profitable as small gold is often left behind.

Many phantom chainers had already been there as the ground was well striped with chain marks, but it was a large area and no one gets all the gold no matter how carefully they work. It took us two weeks to thoroughly cover the place and I came away with 61 small nuggets for 18 grams of gold. (There's roughly 31.1 grams in an ounce.) It was a lot of work for a relatively small return, but without all the care I would have got nought. One man we met later told us that he was at precisely the same spot (before us) and he got nothing at all. He simply did not believe the result I got. My sister-in-law got about 12 grams as well. My wife, after all her recent troubles, was soon forced to stop detecting due to an injury she suffered but she did find a few nuggets before it happened.

Moving on, we came to another area of widely dispersed mine shafts that again had been chained. There was one place well-covered with hundreds of quartz rocks weighing probably about 10 kgs (20lbs) each or more, something like that. It seemed to me that such an area would be not well detected by many, as moving the rocks is quite a task. Bit by bit I shifted them and got just over half an ounce from there in a week or so. The days of easy WA gold is past, but it is still there if you will work for it.

We went to another spot that the old-timers had prospected and once again the phantom chainers had beaten us to it. I decided to prospect along the roadway that is really only a dirt track made by the passage of vehicles over the years. The track was quite compacted by the passing of the 4wd's and the ground was harder than a politicians heart, but not nearly as black.

Straight away I got a few small nuggets and then a 24 grammer (3/4 of an ounce)that was buried about 15 inches down. That signal was a very gentle one at first but soon became quite a screamer. It took a bit of digging, but that one helped me get over an ounce off that track in just a few days.

These places are quite remote and there was little danger of being run-over whilst digging up the road. In fact not one car happened along whilst I was there so you don't need flagmen whilst dong this sort of roadwork.

Some spots we went were relatively non productive, or we were kicked off by mining companies, so I won't bother you with that sort of sad detail.

We were away for over three months and most of the time just camped in the bush. Our caravan and 4x4 are well set up for this sort of travel with serious electrics in the van, solar and a generator and plenty of capacity for water.

We only spent a few nights in caravan parks on the whole trip. That only happened when we went into a town to get food and water, have a shower and do the washing. We had to take all our water with us as there is absolutely nowhere to get water in these rather isolated places. Not everyone is happy doing is sort of thing but we have been doing it all our married lives (almost 48 years) so it suits us well.

Our day began before sunrise when I would be waiting right "on the gold" for enough light to begin detecting. By lunchtime it was too hot to continue and, in any case, we were tired from carrying millions of flies around. So back to the van for lunch and a siesta and returning to the action after 4.00pm. The earliest nugget I found was at 5.29am and the latest just after 8.30pm. Long days, hard work, but fun!

Overall we made quite a nice profit from our trip and had a wonderful time camping right on the gold. The closest nugget we got was found about ten feet from the caravan. One lesson is that the easy days are over and you need to gear yourself up for smaller gold and learn the techniques to capture it, otherwise disappointment awaits.

We met quite a few people who got little or nothing at all, but for the careful prospector who is prepared to work for it, and accept many gram sized (or less) nuggets, then you can do well in areas that have seen a lot of action.

Here are a few pics that hopefully give some sort of "feel" of the adventure.

On The Nullabor Plain.

OnNullabor.jpg

A typical campsite right "on the gold."

Campsite.jpg

No comment necessary.

Coolish.jpg

This bloke visited us everyday and took no notice of us at all.

Goanna.jpg

A 24 grammer - the biggest piece on this trip.

24grammer.jpg

Robyn detecting a road

DetectingRoad2.jpg

We have seen many lonely and unmarked graves in WA. We imagine that they are all old graves, but are they?

Gravesite.jpg

A major crossroad. Every month cars go by here, well most months anyway.

Crossroad.jpg

This shows a scraped area. The marks were made by me to show the ground I had detected. I got 61 nuggets from this spot.

Scrapescopy.jpg

END ____

Glad your wife has improved and ya get to share an adventure. Good health is all we have of real value in life. Thank you for all the detail. I always understood AU in the outback is as hard work.
HH-Bruce

What a great adventure! I bet you could sure tell us some stories of the old days gold you found! Nice work and good to see a fellow getting out in the hunt!
Mud

Thanks for the great write-up and photos! I feel like I got to take a mini vacation to Australia! I felt right at home, 'cause it looks a lot like New Mexico!

Great photos and story.
They don't call it the out back for nothing !

Thanks for your comments Bruce. It really is hard digging in many places in WA but when there is the hope of gold at the bottom of the hole it somehow gets easier.

Thanks Mud and Johnny Cache. Chasing gold is a great adventure made better by the harsh outback conditions, no water etc. Strangely, that somehow that makes it more enjoyable.

Thanks for your note MikeO. I will admit that finding that 24 grammer was quite a moment. It was 15 inches down in hard ground and took a bit of digging out but every time I passed the coil over it it got louder and louder and that gives you the energy to keep going.

I have never been to New Mexico William, but I have been to the USA twice. A holiday in Oz would be quite an adventure for you but hard to do as you need a four wheel drive to get to many places, plus accommodation (tent) and all your supplies. So, that's not easy to do for a fly-in type of visit. There is a group here called "Nuggets from Down Under" who conduct quad bike tours. Everything can be supplied by them and they are proven gold-getters. If anyone is looking for a good way to visit the WA gold-fields, with expert help, than they are hard to beat. I have absolutely no connection with them at all, though I have met them. They do have a web site if anyone would like to look them up. Thanks for your comments William.

Dirty Deeds, sounds like a great name mate. Get yourself out here Dirty, you'll enjoy the outback and all of Oz. Many Americans come here and I have met quite a few in the outback over the years. Last August I was detecting and saw a man about 200 yards away digging. I wandered over to say hello and met a fellow called Hank who came from Missouri. He had been here for several months and was all alone. He was a loner as it turned out, refusing (in a friendly manner) all invitations to gather with us at night. He was camped about half a mile from us. Nice fellow but happy on his own. It takes all types. Thanks for your note mate.

Thanks for your good wishes gear box and DocBars.

Robyn has been in a wheelchair since w got home due to more surgery but she is now able to stand and slowly getting walking again. Maybe by about April or May we can get going again.

Thanks everyone.

Nice recounting of your adventure...

Be happy, wishing you both better health and the pleasure of living life well...:drinking:

I'm thinking your a great writer and a knowledgeable prospector. It's good to see
you back in the hunt, with your best friend and loving wife. That was truly an enjoyable
read packed with information and well illustrated. Thanks for sharing
George S