Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Winter Island (Ex Coast Guard Air/Sea Base) Salem Massachusetts

Ron J

Welcome to Winter Island,Salem Massachusetts![attachment 41264 WinterIslandSalem026.jpg]Winter Island was est.as a U.S Coast Guard Air/Sea Base in Feb.1935.This was a very active base,with the Sea Planes,searching for German subs during WWII,along the east coast of the U.S..My father was stationed here,after the war,mid 40's to 1950,i believe.Winter Island was the first designated "U.S. Air/Sea Rescue Service" in the states,in 1944.I remember visiting the Base quite often,growing up.In early 1950's,on Armistice Day,there was always a big celebration going on,open house!I remember all the servicemen in uniform,the Sea Planes lined up,etc.In the late fifty's,Dad had a lobster boat,and we were always hauling traps in the local area.There was a designated area for the planes to land in the harbor,set off by buoy markers.So it was a common sight to see C.G. Choppers,and the Sea Planes landing and taking off.I mentioned in another story,how i remembered going in the hanger,when i was 17 or 18,to get a base I.D.,getting my photo taken,in a locker room,next to one of the planes![attachment 41265 WinterIslandSalem035.jpg]Where the wooden fence is,in frt of the hanger,there used to be a large wooden ramp,for the Sea Plane to drive out of the water.In earlier yrs,my father told me,they didn't have wheels attached,so the men would have to attach them in the water.[attachment 41260 WinterIslandSalem034.jpg]The px was located where the playground is now.[attachment 41261 WinterIslandSalem027.jpg]This was the radio shack,now Salem Harbormasters headquarters.[attachment 41262 WinterIslandSalem033.jpg]This was the officers quarters[attachment 41263 WinterIslandSalem036.jpg] I have more photo's,and more info about Winter Island,will post more in the next few days,so hang in there... Want to mention,for now,why the base closed..Sea Planes,were getting outdated,because of Choppers,and this base had no runway for a regular plane.A new larger base was built on Cape Cod,50 miles away,by air,or sea.This based closed in 1970. More too come...... rj

n/t

looks of the officers quarters. Tell me that wouldn't convert into a nice old home !:thumbup:

Those old bases are interesting and it is hard to tell from the pictures the great activity that went on there during the war years.

It must have been interesting working the lobster traps.. At least until it became work :D