Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Will the heat affect a metal detector?

HeronBlue

I've got an old Royal Sabre that I recently acquired and have been getting out quite a lot lately. One day I left my detector in the truck for most of the day as I ran errands. When I finally got to hunting later in the day I couldn't for the life of me get my detector to work the way I wanted. I ended up getting frustrated and went home and today after a night inside it seems to be working ok. Could the heat from being in a hot car all day have messed with the readings, or do I just need to break out the manual and really learn how to use this thing?

Heat is not good for any electronics. The heat may not be the cause of your frustrations. Read the manual and find out.

I bought rain guards for my vehicle so I can keep my windows cracked to keep the heat to a minimum without advertizing to the World that my windows are cracked.

Cracking the windows makes a big difference temperature wise in your vehicle

Parking in the shade when possible helps a lot.

Not only does doing those things protect you detector, it also makes it nicer when you get back into your vehicle.:)

tabman

The manual will tell you specifically not to leave in trunk when its hot out. Heat can have a bad effect on electronics. Consider yourself lucky if its working fine now

also, the heat is bad for search coils.....

I was told that you could wrap them up in a blanket and that would help on the heat.

The components in the Royal Sabre are not the newer surface mount technology, and being older are likely to to be more affected. Hopefully, the heat only changed some values on some of the components and caused the problem. I baby mine and am about to send it to Rusty to see if the 5.75" coil is tuned for this detector-I ruined the original coil.

yes, heat can harm the detector's electronics (and guitars too...) becareful

tabman said:
Heat is not good for any electronics. The heat may not be the cause of your frustrations. Read the manual and find out.

I bought rain guards for my vehicle so I can keep my windows cracked to keep the heat to a minimum without advertizing to the World that my windows are cracked.

Cracking the windows makes a big difference temperature wise in your vehicle

Parking in the shade when possible helps a lot.

Not only does doing those things protect you detector, it also makes it nicer when you get back into your vehicle.:)

tabman

nice tip about the rain guards :thumbup:

BJ in Okla. said:
also, the heat is bad for search coils.....

I was told that you could wrap them up in a blanket and that would help on the heat.

the blanket may help a little, but I would rather try something with the material cooler bags are made of

Thanks for the reply everyone. Thankfully I live in a relatively mild climate region and "heat" is a relative term. The detector is working fine but I've learned my lesson though and will be more careful in the future.

Biggest problem with heat is not the electronics......it is the coil.
The coil wil soften inside and the windings can shift. try to lay a coil lat if it must be in a hot place and wrap it to help keep the heat from it...

Very good question??? I guess I'll know for sure after a few more weeks...We are in a record heat wave here in North Texas...I have had a Fisher F2 in the trunk of my car since February. I do not have any shade where I park this car. It has been regularly hitting 105-108 air temperature in the shade...Last Sunday, I took it out for a test spin...The batteries were almost dead but I have had them in since March and it had been used quite heavily...I put new batteries in and it worked like a charm. So the car with the F2 still packed in the trunk wrapped up in a towel and has not moved out of the blazin hot sun. I will take it out again this weekend and see how it operates. No way would I ever recommend anyone to do this with any of their equipment. This is my own personal test and I believe the build quality of the Fisher/Tekenitics line is of the best. JMO

BTW the 4" coil and Fisher Pin-Pointer are also in the trunk...

cowtownkid