Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Will Fisher test a coil? I think my F75 11" DD has gone bad :(

nc-joe

I was at an invitational relic hunt not long ago and finally after day 2 of constant chatter, regardless of sensativity setting, I couldn't stand the noise anymore and asked a buddy how he was keeping his sanity over all the chatter? He replied "What chatter?" I asked to see his machine, smooth as can be. :( I assumed the "bad ground" everyone talked about was messing with my machine, but I put on my 5" and the machine was steady. I borrowed an 11" DD from another friend, and though there was some chatter it was nothing like how my machine was acting.

I just put my coil back onto the machine, and in my yard, I can get it to settle down with a sensativity setting of 40, but I used to run in the 80s here. I am not 100% sure it the coil, but I am sure leaning that way. Can I send JUST the coil to Fisher and have it checked? If it is bad, do they offer a better replacement cost than the $199 price?

Sucks to spend 2 out of 3 days at a pay to play hunt only find that you aren't finding anything because of an equipment failure! (after putting the 5" on I found 2 buttons, and several other relics). So basically this coil has already cost me 2/3 of my $250 entry fee by not being able to find anything for the first 2 days. :(

Hey Joe, I'd send it in and have it checked out!! If it is BAD, and they don't replace it for FREE or at a GOOD DISCOUNTED Price, then I would make do
until you can find a NICE ONE on the Classifieds!! Especially with CHRISTMAS & TAX TIME coming up, you will probably be able to pick up
a NICE Used One at a GOOD PRICE!! Hopefully, they will just REPLACE IT for FREE or REAL CHEAP!! BEST of LUCK, Les Robinson.

Thanks Les. My only concern with buying a used one is how do I know the person selling it isn't selling it because it too is bad! Any one know the process to send in just a coil?

Get it from the horse's mouth. Call customer service.
http://www.fisherlab.com/contact.htm

Ask for Felix @ FTP 1-800-413-4131. If its a bad stock coil, that originally came with the detector, it is also under the 5 year warranty. Provided you are the original owner and purchased it from a authorized dealer. However, I think (almost positive) they will also want the detector sent in with the coil.

Make sure the housing connection to the coil cable is not loose. See if there is any give in the collar as you twist it.

Joe I had the same problem, did all the things you did, according to Tom Dankoswi who fisher is well aware of told me it was was problem in the coil , trying to remember what he called it and I told Felix what he said and he knew all about it and said to sent it in so I asked him if I could send him in just the coil and he said yes but he would rather have the whole thing so they could check it all out, They replaced my 11" coil at no charge, mines under warranty, Is yours? Also i switched to my 5" and I didn't have the problem with it , only the 11" I'll try to find the e-mail from Tom D on the coil and post it for you.

Here's the old posts on my coil read all the post, Tom knew what he was talking about, I sent mine and Toms answers in to Felix qand he knows about, I'd sent them in with it and tell felix what he said about it .
Shooter
F75 LTD noise
November 29, 2010 04:51PM Registered: 1 year ago
Anyone have this problem or does it sound like a problem. While hunting in the woods at old foundations when the 11" coil hits something like a twig sticking up it sounds off, does it all the time, if the undergrowth is heavy its going off all the time. any ideas or is this normal?

NASA-Tom
Re: F75 LTD noise
November 29, 2010 06:29PM Registered: 5 years ago
Check the coil connection. Also......tap the coil wire gently with the detector laying on the ground. Also.......tap the coil with your finger....lightly....and see what type of a response you acquire.

Could be a bad coil......but not the electronics. Do you have another coil......of any size?

Reply Quote
ozzie
November 29, 2010 06:38PM Registered: 2 years ago
My older F-75 has been doing that for some time now, was bothersome, but now I'm sort of use to it. The little rubber wire boot slides up the coil wire and I noticed the insulation is torn from around the coil wires. I've been holding off from sending it in because I don't have a back-up...maybe this winter. When I put on the 6x4 coil, I don't get the chirps when bumped. My buddy has a Minelab SE for a back-up and would lend it to me while my F-75 is in for repair, but you know how that is...I don't like to borrow and I'm not real fond of the MLSE, especially being so use to the speed of the F-75. But, beggars can't be choosy.

Reply Quote
Shooter
November 29, 2010 06:46PM Registered: 1 year ago
Yes I have a 5" I try that with the taps.

Reply Quote
NASA-Tom
November 29, 2010 09:19PM Registered: 5 years ago
Ozzie. Sounds like you just need to order a new coil. Don't need to send the unit in.

Reply Quote
Shooter
November 29, 2010 11:48PM Registered: 1 year ago
Only had it since Oct shouldn't it be covered by the warranty.

Reply Quote
Shooter
November 30, 2010 12:07AM Registered: 1 year ago
Tom, Comments from another site say theres do the same thing when they bump something, the area is full of oak scrubs starter plant about 4 to 5 inches high.

Reply Quote
NASA-Tom
November 30, 2010 07:17AM Registered: 5 years ago
Quite some time ago....... there were a bad 'batch' of coils that made it to the consumer. I thought most of them had made it back to Fisher.
In any case; yes, FTP/Fisher will replace a bad coil under warranty..........as long as the coil/coil-wire are not damaged from user/operator mishandling......and it's a Mfr defect.

Reply Quote
Shambler
November 30, 2010 11:47AM Registered: 3 years ago
Make sure it's not the connection at the housing since the connector is pretty poorly put together (soldered and shielded). The good thing is, the end screws on instead of being crimped on. You can easily (if not under warranty) remove the end and re-solder the leads - heat shrink it and put it back together. The three I've done are better than when they started.

Reply Quote
Shooter
November 30, 2010 04:15PM Registered: 1 year ago
Ok Tom I did the tap test and tapping the coil sets it off, (sounds like you are getting a hit from an object), also where the cable connect to the coil I tapped the connector and tapped the cable up to about 8" and it sounded off. Switched to the 5" coil and tapped again without getting any response.

Reply Quote
Metalman
November 30, 2010 05:45PM Registered: 2 years ago
Hi folks, just wanted to give my input on the F75 Special Edition noise. I have the same problem with my new machine, I noticed it this past weeked, so I just did a test of my own with the 11" coil and the 5" coil, this is what I found. With the 11" coil I get a lot of chatter when I gently tap the side of the coil, with the 5" coil I get some chatter when I tap the bottom of the coil. I removed the 11" coil from the rod and tapped the side of the control housing and there was no chatter. I put the control unit on the table and held the 11" coil I my hand and tapped it. I makes a lot of chatter. I hooked up the 5" coil in the same manner and tested it with the coil in my hand and it too has some chatter when I tap the bottom. So I guess I have to send the coils back to Fisher.

Reply Quote
NASA-Tom
November 30, 2010 06:09PM Registered: 5 years ago
Shooter.........you are correct. Metalman......you may still be okay.

Shooter........you are encountering 'microphonics error'. You can send in JUST the coil........let them know I believe it's 'microphonics error'. If they do not understand this......they can ask Dave Johnson or John Gardiner.....of whom are very familiar with this issue. You can keep your F75 at home......install the other coil...........and hunt with this config (while your other coil is being warranty repaired). You may find some interesting 'tuition' with the smaller coil.

Metalman............IF your coil has bad problems with wet grass and small twiggs.......AND can not handle very light taps on the coil wire....or coil.....than you have the same problem. It is usually the coil wire that is excessively 'sensitive'......that is a dead giveaway.

Reply Quote
Shooter
November 30, 2010 07:01PM Registered: 1 year ago
Thanks Tom for the help I'm going to call Felix in the morning. Is it ok to mention you and the postings? Also I forgot to mention a few days earlier I was doing a fresh water lake beach that they lowered and the coil was in the water, after a couple of hours the unit started sounding off and the ID jumping all other the place had to stop hunting That was the only time it did that and it seems this other thing started, don't know if they are related.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2010 12:00PM by Shooter.

Reply Quote
ozzie
November 30, 2010 08:43PM Registered: 2 years ago
Thanks Tom.
I did call Felix today and left a message...havn,t heard back yet.
Would it be wise to send the whole unit in for any tune up purposes ?
Or maybe it can't be tuned up... I don't know. Other than the coil falsing, it seems to be ok.

Reply Quote
NASA-Tom
November 30, 2010 09:08PM Registered: 5 years ago
Sure, you can mention me and/or this forum.

The T2/F75/F70 cannot be tuned up......as they are 'burned-in' microprocessors. Nothing is adjustable.
Reply Quote
Newer Topic Older Topic

This is a old thread, but I felt I should reply. I was brought here after talking with Felix and several others at First Texas about sending my older unit in for repairs. I live a short drive away, could of handed the unit to them directly if needed. One of the many persons I talked to said I most likely have a bad unit. But this coil test appears to be bad also. Now after getting my serial number the conversation quickly changed on the phone. I was given to several people after that who kept asking for all the same information. The last person came short of a insult,Im pretty sure they knew I would hang up eventually. While I believe the F75 is a great machine, I wont be buying any more First Texas Products, and all my detectors are First Texas Products. Is there any place I can send the unit to be checked out, besides First Texas? Thanks.

Perhaps to reinforce what was said above and add some. The times I had trouble with one of my 11", where in heavy dew, and near water.-turned out the seal was bad and Fisher resealed it, perhaps more aggressively- no charge, no problem since. I had another one doing the same thing, sealed that myself (probably voided the warranty on that one) with a product called "Seal All". In both cases prior to fixing the things would "dry out " in a couple of days and behave normally again till near some heavy moisture. Not saying of course that that is the only problem it could be. Another time like someone above noted, i found the cable loose, tightened it and the noise was gone. More recently i had an excursion ruined with big, persistant noises, I listened to the folks here and did a factory reset on my machine. It fixed it, I think like one fellow said perhaps I couldnt quite see a half bar of iron was notched back in, and it was driving me crazy. I say check with Fisher, my experiences dealing with them where good Good luck, CO