Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Will etrac still pick up on a null

petew

When this thing nulls out do I hafto keep stpppin to let the threshold come back,or will it still hit a coin in a null

I usually switch over to quick mask screen. If there is a coin hidden among iron you will hear it then

Think of a null as silenced audio. Instead of making a tone, it makes no sound. If you come across a coin next to it, it'll then make a tone. If there's a lot of iron and you have iron set up to null for iron, you'll get a lot of "blank" tone (ie. threashold tone gone). When I hit a lot of iron, I'll first really slow down both side to side and in moving forward, often only moving an inch or so forward with each swing. If I hit a tone I'm looking for, I'll rotate the coil a couple of degrees one direction, then the other to see if I can locate it a little better.

Then I try choppadude's recomendation with quick mask. My quick mask is still set up as the default settings (ie completelly open). If it's not so deep (say under six inches), I'll rely a little more on the VDI number, moving around to see if I get a tone in the "good" range between all the iron numbers. If it's deeper than 6" I usually just dig it if it sounds decent.

If I get into an area where there's a lot of iron (probably where I'm in null about 80% of the time after slowing down and moving forward in very small increments), I'll switch into two tone ferrous.

It will depend on the size of the iron object compared to the conductive object or the depth of the iron object compared to the conductive object or the amount of discrimination you are running or whether your swing encounters the iron object first or the conductive object first or how fast you are swinging the coil or which coil you are using or where your sensitivity is set , so the correct answer is ,,,,maybe.

That is also why you set TRASH to HIGH setting so it can hit on the good objects more so than the nearby bad discriminated object. Also Run GROUND DIFFICULT it helps too. You can run with FAST on also and it removes a filter so processing is a bit quicker it just makes the sound a bit shorter on an object when it hits one.

yes, it will. the null is just the sound of your discriminator working. its what you paid top dollar for.

yes. if the center of the coil gets over a conductive target is will give you an audible signal even when it is nulled out. small coils and going slow help

Great advice. I try to go low, slow and when I get that fluttering good sound in trash I hit it from multiple directions. If I pick up anything consistent in more than one direction and ferrous and conductive numbers are anywhere from 8-20 and 30-up it is a no-brainer dig. I do the minelab wiggle to pinpoint. I have not used quickmask that much for questionables. I do dig some trash, mostly copper and brass whats-its, but have been fooled from time to time so feel comfortable digging some trash. Depends on where I am at and what is showing up. For instance run into some sites with a lot of spent .22 shells ringing up as 8-10 in ferrous and 22-30 conductive and ignore those as I would be digging all day. My experience is if you go slow enough nulls will not cancel out good targets as long as you are concentrating and listening for that high tone. All these other tricks will narrow down whether it is a high tone ferrous blip or something amongst the trash. Depth is also another indicator to look for as I will dig more questionable signals at depth than surface signals.