Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

wildlife

david(tx)

been hitting county roads around here lately that i haven't been down,there are so many i'll probably never see them all.i take my elderly mother for drives to get her out of the house and to see the countryside.been down several roads that have a canopy of trees over them for a couple of three miles at a time and if your looking for acreage there is some to be had.

enjoy looking at what people have done with their home places,some of the simpliest are the most appealing.took my mom to my oldest sisters and bro-laws yesterday and while yakking with my bro-law we discussed everything from him having to drop some dead pines to the wildlife around.my sister retired so they are moving to their country place and selling the house in the suburb

i've been seeing more hawks lately,not just redtails but smaller ones whose species i don't know.saw one of the smaller ones that had been hit by a car the other day,also saw a fox that had been run over about a week ago but had to turn around and go back to look to be sure,thought foxes were to sly to get hit by a car:).

we have a transfer station nearby to dump trash,they have a couple of large dumpsters and bins for items to recycle,on the way there i saw about 10 buzzards in the road and they flew off when i approached.i saw an animals head in the road and the large spine if the animal on the side of the road as i went by,on the way back i got a closer look and it was a hogs carcus.

i never see wild hogs or evidence of them around here but i guess the are in the bottoms.my bro-law said he was driving from dallas through the river bottoms and saw a bobcat the other day up close to the guard rail.i think i mentioned the alligators are pushing up this way by way of the river and creek channels or some idiot wildlife management people,we need them like another hole in the head.

oh well,wildlife seems to be thriving here and seems several bird species that seemed to be dwindling are coming back especiallt scissor tails,maybe i just lived in town to long:).

like a good ride in the country. As you noticed, there is lots to see if one pays close enough attention! Sounds like a good time, David! Bet your mom enjoyed it too. :)

my moms short term memory is bad and i try to make her remember landmarks and places.she forgot something the other day,i gave her the first letter in the name and she remembered,kickapoo creek:).

fished or hunted more i'd see more things and i'm not out as much at night.use to have foxes come up in the evenings here and would see the occasional coyote.living along the highway probably has something to do with it.maybe i need to just open my eyes:).

I want to encourage you to take along a tape recorder and put it in the car somewhere where she won't notice it right off. I'M TELLIN' YOU, those conversations you have of the two of you interacting will be a treasure some day.

Prompting her to recall certain stories of her childhood--or about anything--will be a true blessing to you.

I would give just about anything if I could take one more car ride with my momma or daddy...but I can't. But I would give so much to sit down and hear their voices again...neither is possible, but the one that was possible, I didn't take the time to record them. My kids will never hear their voices again. SO...

Get yourself a decent tape machine and load it up with a 90 minute tape and let it go. You'll be so very glad you did.

aj

you know as some people get older they tell the same stories,thats they way it is with my mother,i know most of her family stories.when we ride around the countryside she usually is just looking,i prompt her by saying "how you doing you",she says she's just enjoying the scenery:).

telling about the old days. Some mighty interesting secrets about our family that I didn't know too

That is one thing I really like about taking my camera for walks. I see things I would never normally see by just looking at the pretty colors. There is so much going on in the forest and marshes. Marshes are my favorite places and always have been. There is so much to see, especially in the spring.

last year. One was in the back yard a few years ago but I have not seen any back there in a long time. There are coyotes around but I rarely see them. We hear them most nights. Of course the deer and turkey are all over the place and there are many mink, beaver and otter in the river, although we rarely see the otter. I have a neighbor that had an otter clean out their fish pond. They live on the river.

You will see more out of your preifical visiion. I don;'t know how you spell it but out of the corner of your eyes. It catches the movement faster than if you are looking right at something.

you will for sure see more snakes,i use to stop a cast in a little backed up area of a lake and would see fresh water clam shells that coons were eating and some nutria back there too.they are those big rodents.i thought they were beaver at first.

reproduce pretty quick,i figured trapping from the old days would have depleted them a good bit.i've often wondered if otter are aggresive or bite.

you know, out on the deck, driving up and then driving home. She told one story after another but they were a bunch of little short ones that I am gonna have to get her to elaborate on. She has no clue that thing I was using to record her was not a cell phone. :D

I have to edit some of the stuff out and some of it is hard to understand. I have to figure how to do it. I am gonna get more if I can. When she passes I will make copies for my kids. Ought to be interesting

will chew your dang arm off if given the chance. I used to hunt with a ferret and those bad boys are blood thirsty. We had to be careful not to run them in a hole with a Mink in it because we just might lose the ferret. My ferret, the size of a dang squirrel, grabbed my German Shepard by the throat one day and had every intention of killing and eating the sucker. They have no fear

n/t