Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Widow's mite

Just curious to see how common is it for a person to own a "widow's mite." My mother had one that I remember her showing me when I was just a little girl. She passed away 2 years ago, and my dad, me, or my siblings have no clue where she kept it at. I'm sure its somewhere in the house, but searching a 6 broom house isnt that easy!.. Thanks, couldnt really find anything online about how common they are or how much they are worth (if anything) these days.

hi ntd! i would say most people don't own a widow's mite. [quoted from july 08 issue of coin prices] "the proper greek name for the widow's mite is a lepton, the smallest denomination of bronze coins minted under alexander janneus 103 - 76 bc. and later." the legend of the widow's mite involves jesus at the temple. rich men threw their money at jesus, but through the crowd came an aged widow who gave jesus all she had - a single mite. the rich men scoffed at her, and jesus held up the mite and said, "this is more valuable than all you wealthy men have given me, for this old widow has given all she has to give, and gave it to me from her heart." it's a cool story.
i'm sorry to hear of your mother's passing. i'm sure she put this small and very symbolic coin in a safe place. the widow's mites and a set of other coins [replicas]from the times of jesus are available at southern coin investments in atlanta, ga. they are $12.50 per set. i've seen the real widow's mites go for around $30.00 each, just can't remember where i saw 'em. good luck, i hope this helps, hh,

Check out the ads in one of the coin magazines. Thats' where I got one for my wife about 10 yrs. ago. It was about $15 then so Grayghost is probably right about the current price.

Be sure to check any rafters in the attic if you have one, some folks used to hide things in false electrical sockets...the plug receptacle was there, but no wiring...also if you have registers in the floor, check them too...This was also a common hiding spot for valuables...Just think of places you might have hidden something you wanted to keep safe...Also if you have drawers in the kitchen, check underneath them...folks used to tape papers and coins under the drawers....This applies to any dresser or desk drawers as well...

HH,

BH-LandStar