Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Wide Scan Or Concetric Coil Question...

candycane

Just wondering what type of coil people use when hunting a large area where digging is no problem....

My understanding is that digging ease isn't the issue with coil type, mineral content is. I use nearly all concentric coils. I only have a few places where I have hunted on the ground (as opposed to the beach) where there seems to be high mineral content problems. I have one wide scan coil that I don't use much.

I generally stick with the concentric coil. If the ground is somewhat hotter in mineralization, then that's where I'll switch to a wide scan. Otherwise the concentric is the choice in most hunts.
The most I use a DD - wide scan is usually on a gold machine.
I have the wide scan for my Tesoro's (5.75) and have only used it on occasion.

Widescan (DD) coils are nice for covering ground. My rule of thumb if I want to maintain depth is to go up "one size" over the stock concentric coil. DD coils give good performance in mild ground.

HH Tom

I'll use a 3 by 18 wide scan coil on my Vaquero..Got one with the detector and have been playing with it.I have a site which is private, covers 32 acres, that has hosted events from the 1840's including horse shows to soccer play offs (with literally several thousand people there in one day.). This will probably be a two man operation.One guy on the wide scan,marking hits,, other guy digging ..I think a lot of ground can be covered that way..Trouble is the guy swinging the wide scan will want me to steal him a golf cart ,Swing and drive???????,..Cordially NAD

Got back from voting around 2[30, and decided to take the 3 by 18 wide scan coil for a spin.Went to a local lake and opted to work over the back, less used, beach I got everything in order,ground balanced...Discrimination below a nickel....Sensitivity all the way up, then backed down due to a microwave tower... I went swinging, the Vaquero went Bing, ching as it hit items. I used the front to pin point, and just knocked coins out of the ground. with the digging tool..Didn't have to kneel..Since the area was so nice and smooth, I put the standard coil back on and went over part of the area.Got a 1930's cent pretty deep down, and a tab bordering on Manchuria. The wide scan did a pretty fair job.Total change 5 quarters, 10 dimes, nickels and cents to equal two dollars seventy something..Real test will be the first soccer field..The Silver UMax would have found most ,if not all the coins. I have a feeling the other UMax detectors will do as well as the V, if not better.I am putting the Silver coil on the Bay,would have used it, except didn't want to take a chance screwing it up.Did photo the coins, dirty, ugly looking things, Who in their right mind wants to dig up dirty old pennies? Got back home about 3[45, Hunting time less than an hour..Sorry no gold or silver, but this is the real world, cordially NAD.

All things being equal (they usually aren't) the widescan of the same size will not be as deep as the concentric in soils where they both can run at the same sensitivity. However, as the mineralization increases, the widescan may outperform the concentric as the soil conditions may require a reduction in sensitivity for the concentric. The widescan will usually slip thru trash a bit better as the main detection field is longer and narrower than the round pattern of the concentric so the one dimension reads less area. The long dimension often covers a bit more ground, but in equal or nearly equal sizes that isn't all that big a deal. At least this is the way I understand the differences.
BB

A large concentric in an area of low mineralization would be your best shot. In highly mineralized areas the widescan or DD would be your best bet as it handles mineralization much better but it doesn't discriminate nearly as well as a concentric and loves bottlecaps. It also covers more area as it detects tip to tip - throwing a long, narrow, wedge-shaped signal pattern.

Bill

I prefer the widescans due to their ground coverage and separation. Plus they run well in my ground. I also have less problems with overload signals due to shallow targets as compared to the concentic coils.

HH

Mike

A friend of mine uses a laser trident which is basically the european version of the tesoro cibola.After going through a bit of bad patch finds wise he decided to give the 12x10 widescan coil a try and his finds rate has improved dramatically.He uses this coil in all types of soil conditions and it is now used as his standard coil replacing the standard concentric.....i don't think he will ever use the standard coil again as the widescan has now given more confidence in his detecting.His improved finds rate maybe due to the fact he is covering a lot more ground and therefore missing less but the coil is also sensitive to the small hammered coins we find over here and has good depth.The only real drawback maybe high trash areas where the size of the coil can be a disadvantage but the fast recovery of the trident helps with this to some extent.Overall a fantastic coil.

8 November.There is an 11 inch concentric coil for uMax detectors on the Bay.Buy it now price 60,plus postage. Ends the 14Th..Not my listing, just a toss out in case someone is looking..To tell you the truth, am going half buggy trying to figure out how many coils Tesoro has for just the uMax series.Both my manual and Tesoro home site don't mention an 11 inch uMax concentric Cordially NAD

I had one of the 11" concentrics a few months back. I sold it when I was raising money for something else. I think they are actually 12" coils. One the great things about Tesoro is that there are a lot of different coils sizes available that are affordably priced.

HH

Mike

Magician,

There was never an 11" concentric made by Tesoro, there used to be a 10

Hombre said:
Magician,

There was never an 11" concentric made by Tesoro, there used to be a 10