Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

why tid?

findit

if one is out for coin, jewelry, and relics is tid
really any good. I like to dig everything because i always second guess
myself and say what if. So would a tid machine be pointless, I
understand that the reading could be different depending on the depth
so how does one really know for sure? Anybody have any input on this
not too familiar with tid.:shrug:

Seems like TID tells us for sure if it's a coin. Great when searching for coins. Foil, nickle, pulltab displays may really be a piece of gold jewelry, so we must dig to find out. DIME display could really be a silver ring.

I used TID for a few years and then I switched to a Tesoro vaquero and (when I get a chance to detect)I like the non TID better it beeps and you dig TID make you look think look some more and then decide to walk on and miss something.
Just my opinion
brianpa

Tone id is a good indication to the conductivety of the target being detected.

Visual id is a good viewable probability of the conductivety of the target being detected.

Both of them put together is a good combination, but as Brianpa has stated, if you detect something, you check the 'meter' and decide to to dig or keep walking. While this is true for alot of detectorist, others may go about it another way. I also think it depends on the type of detecting being done.

Coin hunters are mainly looking for coins. Depending on the machine being used, a nickle would be a low tone, while a dime, copper penny, or quarter will have a high tone. At the same time, the DISC setting can be used to know where a nickel gets 'disc ed' out, and also where a pop top gets disc'ed out. With this knowledge, the coin shooter can determine with good accuracy whether to dig or not. If the machine also has a VID, then they will usually know with a little better accuracy.

Unless you dig everything, some good targets are missed. This is due to the good targets to bad targets ratio involved in some areas.

I don't know what else to say. You just gotta have confidence in your machine and listen to what it's saying.

If you change machines, to a TID or VID, or a combo of the 2, you will prolly be missing more good targets becasue the machine is telling you what it is, but if you pass it up, you won't know untill you see for yourself.

laterz

ed

ID screens only show you the probability of a target based on the conductivity of that target. A ring can read as a pop top, and a flattened pop can as coin, they are not perfect. The audio of a machine will not lie, when you hear it, you know there is metal there. Ed was right on when he said it depends on the confidence you have in your machine. How do you get that? You dig everything, until you can tell by the sound what it is, or what it probably is, or at least that its a good target vs. a junk target. ID machines can be fooled by many things but masking probably affects ID the most and some machines handle it better than others.

Every body is different, has different techinques, diferent desires, and different hunting conditions. What is good for one, may not be so good for the next guy. Take a look around at the top hunters in your area, what machines are they using? That will give you a good clue on what works good in your areas, but its only a start. TID can be a crutch, but it does give you a little more information on your target. I usually detect by sound and when I get a good target that I know I am going to dig, then I look at that screen to see what its reading. Or on the faint, weak or deep targets, its nice to know its a deep target (I usually dig all deep targets) its nice to have a general idea if its reading high or low. Sometimes I dig everything, other times I am lazy and cherry pick. Knowing a targets depth is a nice feature that does help me decide.

I own and use both types of detectors. Do I find one "better" than the other? Not really but they do require a somewhat different approach. If I had to settle on just one type what would I use? I really don't think I can answer that question.
Pap

is an added feature to help try to indentify the target while still in the ground. I wouldn't rely solely on it, but used in conjunction with tone it provides a backup of sorts. Some TID's use a number (VDI) like the Fisher Edge, some use segments (like the Ace 250) and some use both (like the Cortes). The tone can be single or multitone on TID detectors. The more information you have to work with, the better your chances of IDing a target before digging. If you are one of those that says "if it beeps, dig it" then don't waste your money, as most higher end unit have the TID feature. TID is more for coin shooters and ring rangers anyways.

Dan

Here is a pic of my Compass meter, it's the only detector I have with TID. It's shows that it detected either a nickle, a ring, or pulltab. They all line up in one hell of a tight grouping as compared to the other half of the scale.(Actually a mans gold ring was passed over the coil). A ladies ring points more at Foil. Coins register accurately. I prefer my Vaquero over the Compass because this meter is no help when searching for gold jewelry. And the V. is a lot lighter. From what I've seen, all detector brands with needle meters have the same meter layout as this one.

Your Compass has told you it is possibly 1 out of 3. If you get a tone on the V, you can turn the DISC knob up till you lose the tone, and this tells you the same thing basically. It is just a little slower, plus you have to be pretty good at listening. Sometimes seeing and hearing can tell you more than hearing though, especially if you are new to the hobby.

I think i got confused guys thanks for all the helpful info, but i was thinking of why vid?I was talking about a meter that shows you either what it is or numbers to tell you what it is.Not the tone which i like to use.As i was saying i prefer to go by sound only rather than the vid
which i would not trust i guess. What do you think? Is it just getting used to or are they not that accurate most of the time?

n/t

No, I didn't say the V. is better at ID'ing. I'm saying that looking at the meter is not helping narrow it down to a gold ring, because it could be either ring or pulltab. Yes, with the Vaquero I almost always turn up the disc. till the signal is lost, works good. Could do it that way with the Compass too and not use the meter for gold. For coins you could believe the meter. When a silver ring is detected, the needle will point somewhere in the silver side of the scale, pointing near Dime or Quarter.

[quote Scully]ID screens only show you the probability of a target based on the conductivity of that target. A ring can read as a pop top, and a flattened pop can as coin, they are not perfect. The audio of a machine will not lie, when you hear it, you know there is metal there. Ed was right on when he said it depends on the confidence you have in your machine. How do you get that? You dig everything, until you can tell by the sound what it is, or what it probably is, or at least that its a good target vs. a junk target. ID machines can be fooled by many things but masking probably affects ID the most and some machines handle it better than others.

Every body is different, has different techinques, diferent desires, and different hunting conditions. What is good for one, may not be so good for the next guy. Take a look around at the top hunters in your area, what machines are they using? That will give you a good clue on what works good in your areas, but its only a start. TID can be a crutch, but it does give you a little more information on your target. I usually detect by sound and when I get a good target that I know I am going to dig, then I look at that screen to see what its reading. Or on the faint, weak or deep targets, its nice to know its a deep target (I usually dig all deep targets) its nice to have a general idea if its reading high or low. Sometimes I dig everything, other times I am lazy and cherry pick. Knowing a targets depth is a nice feature that does help me decide.[/quote]

Great post Scully. I always enjoy reading your post. Miss reading your post on the Tesoro site.