Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Why so many pennies???

I have had my ACE 250 for two months as of tomorrow. I have found 973 coins worth $45.74. Yes I have found the rings and other neat stuff but as you can see from the picture, WHY SO MANY PENNIES????
Don't people carry anything else to drop???:rant:

I asked the same question a while back and it has now become obvious, there are more pennies then any other coin and people are less inclined to pick a penny up then any other coin, in fact there are people that will throw pennies away rather then keep them.

I worked around a little league park yesterday, and found gobs of pennies near the dugouts and concession stands. In many cases, pennies are a nuisance so people discard them on purpose and hang on to the silver.

You can always notch them out, but then IH's and Wheaties won't be found either.

Hazard of the Hobby I guess.:lol:

I agree with John .........kids around my area toss them at each other
Funny thing is I wonder if I was to dump two rolls of pennys in a pile if anyone (kids) would pick them up. When my son was younger he said it was not cool to pick up coins if they fell when talking with buds.I guess that makes me uncool cause I pick them all up.

Have you run into any of the penny pitches at schools? Some of them have hundreds of pennies in them. I pulled up over a 100 out one some time back and gave up as I was worn out. There were hundreds left.

Bill

Yeah the kids toss them away by the hundreds. When I was a kid a penny would buy a lot, now they are worthless.

Bill

[quote Spanky] I guess that makes me uncool cause I pick them all up.[/quote]I never used to pick them up until I saw a millionaire do it once. I figured he was on to something. That was 40 years ago.

About 35 years ago I was a candy salesman. Today a penny bubble gum sells for a dime. Nickle candy sells for 65 cents. Penny candy was a very big item to sell then. The only reason we continue to have pennies in circulation is because of the sales taxes. It would be hard for the politians to go up in taxes a nickle at a time although they will get there anyway.It just takes a little longer.

Yeah when I was a kid penny candy was everywhere and you got 2-4 pieces for a penny. All stores had the big wide-mouthed candy jars lined up side by side where you reached in and picked out what you wanted. Those were the days. The things a nickel bought back then are mind boggling.

Bill

As old Benny FRanklin said," A penny saved is a penny earned." Who knows, if the bottom drops out of the economy they may be worth something again.

Bill

The ironic thing is that some of the most valuable coins are NOT the high value, low mintage coins of the 19th century, they are the high mintage, low value coins.

There is a logical reason for this, and this is where the real metal detecting opportunity lies. Cents and lower value coins were widely used for commerce, therefore they were more likely to get lost than higher value coins.

Silver Dollars and Half Dollars were generally not popular coins with the general public. Many people in the 1800's never even owned more than a few Silver Dollars, and most never even saw one, let alone possess one. They were typically used for commerce by large corporations and banks. As coin collecting became popular during the early 20th century, there were millions of Silver & Half Dollar coins available to collectors in uncirculated condition. As late as the 1970's hundreds of thousands of Morgan Dollars were discovered by the US Treasury Department in uncirculated condition and released to the public.

Half Cents, Large Cents, 5 Cent Pieces, Half Dimes, and Dimes were used for everyday spending and either got worn out or lost, or hidden in caches, and therefore command a premium to collectors. Half Cents are extremely rare. These are the coins most sought after by collectors and these are the coins we are most likely to find while metal detecting.

Some people must forget that 100 pennies = $1.00.
Sorry Spell check doesn't know the difference between + and =.
Have a Blessed day, All
Your Friend. John D.

And that's 2 bux.:rofl:

Consider there are a hundred of them to a dollar and they arent worth much. If you lose one or two of the many you have in your pocket, whose gonna care?
If you lose a quarter, not only can you (or someonelse) see it more readily but youll also make the effort to retrieve it.

Yeah when I lived in Vegas during the late fifties, early sixties, silver dollars were the coin of the realm and I used to have pockets full of them. Every time you broke a bill anyplace in town you got all silver dollars in change. Wish I had saved a ton of them.

Bill

I read somewhere that the government is considering doing away with the penny. If that happens, just think what they will be worth 20 years after they are done away with. SAVE YOUR PENNIES!!!!
Your Grandchildren will thank you! Don't we all wish our Grandfathers had saved a bag full of Mercs or standing liberty quarters.
Have a Great Day,
John D.

[quote John D.] Don't we all wish our Grandfathers had saved a bag full of Mercs or standing liberty quarters.
Have a Great Day,
John D.[/quote]

As an avid MD enthusiast I'm glad they didn't!!