Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

why elliptical coils are better for gold nuggets and any small target?

Dedicated gold hunting detectors come with a widescan coil, usually elliptical, because gold is mostly found where the mineralization levels are high, and widescan coils handle bad ground much better than concentric coils.

hmmm well the tesoro told me the elliptical is especially good to find small items!
i forgot to ask why.
i suppose it might concentrate the signal more than the round ones due to the shape.
comes to think into it the reason couldnt be anything else.
or yes??????????

The elliptical shape allows you to keep the coil closer to the ground in some conditions, work closer around the larger rocks and poke the coil in under brush better. Every inch you can get the coil closer to the nuggets helps!

Tom

Also at the toe and heel of the elliptical coil it is much more sensitive. You have a tighter concentration of conductors at the toe and heel for the eddy currents to cut across.

John Tomlinson,CET
John's Detectors:tesoro:

As the others have pointed out, the elliptical shape allows the coil to be closer to the ground and get into tighter spaces. Also, because of their ground handling ability, the sensitivity can be jacked up to an almost ridiculous extent. I prospect in really bad ground and, with an elliptical coil, I can have the sensitivity maxed out, whereas the sensitivity would be at 2/3 with a concentric coil (of more or less equal size). ..Willy.