Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Why does Minelab?

qicpic

Why are the target numbers on a Minelab about half of other detectors? I just dont get it, you learn one for years then you get a Minelab and the values are just about half?
any ideas?
thanks and HH

qicpic said:
Why are the target numbers on a Minelab about half of other detectors? I just dont get it, you learn one for years then you get a Minelab and the values are just about half?
any ideas?
thanks and HH

The numbers are just symbolic, the manufacturers decide that this specific signal under the criteria they select for it will represent a dime, or quarter or piece of trash. It could be 26, 44, or 78 doesn't really matter. As William Shakespeare wrote.

What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;

Or in this case a number would be just as much a silver!

Great Answer !!!!!

qicpic said:
any ideas?

The CTX 3030 has 1750 possible "TID numbers" available for target identification. That 1750 number is reached by multiplying the 35 possible Ferrous numbers X the 50 possible Conductive numbers. 01/01, 01/02, 01/03, 01/04-----through---------35/47, 35/48, 35/49, 35/50. Could you give us an example of a detector with more TID numbers? HH Randy

This question could also be worded in reverse by being an avid Minelab user then switching to another brand.

The symbolic numbers, VID or TID is just simply how the manufacterer sets up the machine. However low or high specific target ID numbers are, you adapt to it rather quickly if you dig enough targets.

BCOOP

qicpic said:
The numbers are just symbolic, the manufacturers decide that this specific signal under the criteria they select for it will represent a dime, or quarter or piece of trash. It could be 26, 44, or 78 doesn't really matter. As William Shakespeare wrote.

By any other name would smell as sweet;

As Spinal Tap would say, densely, "Mine goes to 11." or in this case "Minelab goes to 50" or the Whites guy would say, "No mine is better because it goes to 99!" LOL!

(Paraphrase from the movie Self absorbed band member: "Most amps go to 10, but we had one specially made that goes to 11" Interviewer: "Couldn't I just take the knob and put an 11 where the 10 is and it would be the same thing." Band member looks at him dumb-fuddled and says, "But mine goes to 11.")

qicpic said:
Why are the target numbers on a Minelab about half of other detectors? I just don't get it, you learn one for years then you get a Minelab and the values are just about half?
any ideas?
thanks and HH

********************************​

Hello 'qp'

Here is a brief, simple answer to your sensible question:-

(1) The minelab numbering is 'scaled down' only in its presentation to you, for ease of 'relative' reference.

(2) Why ask for higher numerical numbers for such an IMPRECISE measurement?

(3) How precise and repeatably accurate can you sweep as you detect.....speed....height above target...etc.?

Imagine detector Z reporting on a copper at 7 inches......75.28......77.41........69.35 etc at each sweep.

Now a Minelab over the same coin.......Fe12-Con 37........Fe12-Con38.......Fe11-Con35

There is less 'apparent' variations in the Minelab numbering system......but it's all relative.

Why ask for greater 'imaginary' accuracy when in reality it isn't of any consequence?

Minelab's basic internal working VDI resolution is one of the best, but they don't need to confuse the detectorist with numbers like 207.4512 for a penny.

Technically, what you see, depends how many 'bits' are assigned to the digital numbering that feed the info to you via the screen.

Remember, Minelab present a positional screen matrix also for the target's ID. Crude but sufficient for the job.....

I hope that brief reply is of some help.......TheMarshall

p.s. Minelab lead, for other to follow.....not vice-versa

Bell-Two said:
As William Shakespeare wrote.

By any other name would smell as sweet;​

TheMarshall said:
Imagine detector Z reporting on a copper at 7 inches......75.28......77.41........69.35 etc at each sweep.

Now a Minelab over the same coin.......Fe12-Con 37........Fe12-Con38.......Fe11-Con35

There is less 'apparent' variations in the Minelab numbering system......but it's all relative.

Why ask for greater 'imaginary' accuracy when in reality it isn't of any consequence?

Minelab's basic internal working VDI resolution is one of the best, but they don't need to confuse the detectorist with numbers like 207.4512 for a penny.

Technically, what you see, depends how many 'bits' are assigned to the digital numbering that feed the info to you via the screen.

Nice explanation! It would be nice if there was some standardized scale where a mint 1982 US penny air tested always read CO 42, and a mint1999 US Quarter read 47, a 1942 mint Merc 44, etc, on every detector. You could press a button just like on a scale switching between grains, grams, and ozs, but of course it would have to have a warped scale that each manufacturer would have to tweak for each model. And a lot of us would just want to see the real absolute reading from our detector.