Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

WHY DO PEOPLE SAY THINGS LIKE THAT WHEN THEY KNOW IT IS NOT TRUE

candycane

I was reading on the analog forum that the XL/Pro is the finest analog machine ever made,period. This person also stated that the IDX Pro along with the XL/Pro,are the best two machines for detecting. I am new to this hobby and after reading this,it makes me think that all other companies can't hold a candle to White's...Brandy

I don't have the patience to analyze every signal and look at a meter for guidance. I set my dis low and dig every signal. I have seen items of great value come out of the ground that sounded and looked non-digable.

I guess it's because some people have constipation of the brain and diarrhea of the mouth. As far as the detectors mentioned, been there, done that. After more than thirty years of swinging a coil over dirt and way too many detectors that caused me to spend way too much money I found out there really isn't all that much difference in performance. The two differences are TID or no TID. Those two are good detectors. The best...well, read my first sentence again.

Good shot pap. My hunting buddy drives me nut's when hunting..He gets a signal,then says,iron stone,red clay,black sand,flip switch,re-ground balance,another coil,TID says it is a maybe,on and on and on.....Dig the damn thing...He acts like Ed Norton on the Honeymooner's

If you read all the forums.....you will find Garrett users think Garrett the best..Whites, whites are the best etc etc..and remember success is half of believing in the machine you use..Each and every detectorist rightly believes their detector is the best machine..And in fact, it is, if they know how to use it, believe in it, and find the great finds. There really isn't that much difference in the machines from a quality manufacturer...and the Micro processor has even made things closer in depth and operation...So it's not an untrue statement when one says thats the best or this is the best..for them it is the best.....Hope that helps a little being new and understanding why statements are made.

candycane to them it's true, however I truly have found analog machines to be some what more accurate on ID then digital machines, not just Whites..

Good Hunting!

GaryL .... :tesoro::detecting:

.."The best detector is the one YOU are using" HAVE FUN. You still have to swing the coil over a good target and dig it up to reap the rewards.

It's similar to the argument I have with my fellow astronomer buddies. The best telescope is the one you are using. If you have one with a 25 inch mirror that takes 2 hours to set up and another 3 to cool down before being used, ends up sitting in the closet while you pull out the one you can set up in 15 minutes and star gaze all night long and have fun....THAT IS THE BEST ONE !

Do your home work, ask questions on the forums and let people know what type of hunting you are interested in. You will have more than enough great advice and input on the detectors and brands.

There are LOTS of great detectors and the one you pick, use and have fun with IS THE BEST !

It would be very difficult to argue with the performance of a top of the line Whites MD in most soil, from what I've seen.
They have an excellent reputation.

I see where the more experienced users who have tried many of the machines on the market are generally reluctant to give any the #1 award, even though they do have a favorite machine, or two, or ????

I'd like to have a MD with bells and whistles to fiddle with.:bouncy:
HH

The best metal detector is the one that best suits your needs and finds the targets you want at the places you hunt. If you buy the "best detector" advertised by a company and it turns out to be too heavy for you, then it's NOT the est one.HH

Nick the Belgian

one must have people express themselves in different ways, lest we have nothing online with which to guage their charactor.....be happy!:blowup:

And Garrett is sure competetive with fine units and above all excellent service after the sale..Nuff said I guess on that one so grab your favorite unit and go get em...

Should have said Tesoro but this is probably true of any of the major companies and we all have our favorites...Sorry for the TYPO....

In their mind it is true. I know a guy who thinks he has the greatest detector there is, because he found a huge gold necklace with a hunker of a gold ring on it. It was only 2" deep in sand. A stud finder on the end of a stick would have found it.

They make comments like this because nobody is going to say "I have the second best detector on the market" This is the way they justify what they bought..Matter of fact there are many outstanding detectors..I just chose this Tesoro brand after a long time of observing others digging more than me..I am just leveling the playing field

[size=medium]Hi Brandy, I am fairly new to this also. I have asked many questions, received many answers, many different answers. I agree with some of the posts above, the best detector is the one that fits YOUR needs for what you will be doing. You are on the right track by joining the forum, you will learn a lot as I have. I also note that many of the "old timers" have more than one brand. Thats where I landed, I wanted one that is waterproof in case I drop it in the water, and one that works better inland, and then one that could target raw gold, nuggets etc. It looks to me I will be buying three! One down, two to go! One important thing I learned is that some detectors use 9 volt batteries that cost more than AA's and it seems harder to find 9 volt multi packs. Plus I want to use rechargeables. My general purpose choice will be the Garrett Ace 250 as it is priced well and has good reviews around these boards! Have fun! [/size]

There are many great brands and detectors out there. What separates one from the other is really the features. While performance does come into play, it is not always depth that counts. Most older coins are going to be found in the 4-7 inch range. Almost any decent machine will detect these.

I own three machines right now. One is a Garrett Ace 250, and Two are White's; a DFX and a PRL1. My first machine was the PRL1. It is marketed by White's as an industrial metal detector that is designed for finding property stakes. This machine has no ID feature. No meter. The only controls are the discrimination knob and the pinpoint/all-metal switch. I learned to discriminate using my ears and a shovel. I dug every signal, with the discrimination set around the spot where I could detect a US nickel or higher. I cannot count how many Indian Heads and Barbers I found using this machine.

Fast forward to 2008. Yes, the DFX does it all. It can tell a silver quarter from a clad. It can detect at greater depth. It can handle difficult ground conditions better. Although I like all the bells and whistles of the DFX, there is a part of me that likes the turn and go ACE. The Ace has detected coins at more than 10 inches, at 1/6 the price of the DFX.

With all of these technological breakthroughs am I digging more coins? In reality I am not digging many more coins. I am, however digging less trash. I may even be prejudging more and passing up targets that I would have dug with the old PRL1.

Now I see a big debate over which can detect deeper, the White's DFX or the Minelab Explorer. WHO CARES?? Like I said, most coins can be found with a $200 machine as easily as with a $1200 machine.

The bottom line is, make an educated buying decision and be happy with it.

The end.