Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Why did I do it? Fisher 442 VLF (W/Pic)

LX Kid

Picked up a Fisher 442 VLF on eBad. Like I really need this one. It was "purdy" so I bid and won it. The posting said he didn't have time to test it to see if it worked, (that's code for it don't work), so I guess I got another closet queen.

Fisher440.jpg

Hi Kid

Why don't you put some batteries in her and give her a try? Then ya can give us a field report after ya give her a spin. I hope she fire's right up for ya!

Just got it about 6 days ago. She said she sent it to a wrong address! Of course it didn't work! The ebad picture made it look 10 times better than it actually was. The compression ring, on the shaft tightening nut, is missing also. I put batteries in it and the meter reads about 90% of the scale. No audio when any of the controls are manipulated, just some scratchy sounds.

n/t

I'll pay pal you right now. I want that for the walls of my detecting museam.....

Hi bill i ngot a real oldie it an aussie one a MINRAD it has ply coils and a bakelight shaft terry in oz if you want any shots give me a yell

How much did you pay for that thing on E-Bad ? I was thinking about bidding on some there Thanks, Jim

JPinLV said:
How much did you pay for that thing on E-Bad ? I was thinking about bidding on some there Thanks, Jim

Just remember these are old machines, VLF/TR. If you have never hunted in straight TR disc. mode and are not able to keep the coil
"even at all times" with the ground, they will drive you nuts with the sound. They are not like current detectors in silent disc. mode.
Auto mode helps a little.

In VLF mode they are deep hunters, could compete with some high detectors of today in most ground conditions. TR disc. mode has terrible depth
in mineralized ground. Best I could do in Georgia was about 4". That is with the 555D I had.

If your built with strong arms, you can swing a vintage Fisher 500 series. They are heavy with all the batteries inside. And you thought
Minelab Sovereigns were heavy?

If your Fisher decides to quit and the problem is the black epoxy sealed modual, might as well save the detector for parts. And you cannot get any replacement coils from Fisher, I bought the last one several years ago. If your lucky the detector can be fixed by Keith Wills but, it may cost you a couple hundred dollars.
And he may have some coils for $80.00 or so.

What is a Vintage Fisher worth? Depends on the model and condition. I bought my 555DB for $30.00, replaced the a pot and meter and air tested a dime at around 12" in VLF mode. The 555D was the top of the line model, look cool and are stable when tuned in VLF mode. A wonderful detector!! If your paying more than $125.00 for a decent one then you may be better served spending a little more for a current entry level Tesoro...........with a warranty. If your a collector, you'll want a mint unit with all the paper work as one that was recently traded, collectors will pay more just to own it and will use it for display only.

Good luck bidding on your next vintage Fisher.