Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Who is Captain Josiah Perkins Creesy,Jr ??

Ron J

After posting about the "Mystery Cannons" i have been looking for a website for Harmony Grove Cemetery, to ask about the cannons.Haven't gotten anymore info yet,BUT, one link led to another,and next thing ya know,I'm reading about various people buried there. I often wonder who is that? or wowed about the size of there burial stone.Some have large family plots,surrounded by granite,or a fancy iron fence.Salem Massachusetts is a real. early town,and almost became the Capitol of Mass. prior to Boston! > Let me get back to Captain Creesy. Ever hear of "THE FLYING CLOUD" ? Well, she was known as the FASTEST Clipper Ship in her day! Captain Creesy was her Master. "THE FLYING CLOUD" was built in Boston,by Donald McKay. She set TWO record setting voyages,from New York to San Francisco AROUND Cape Horn one in 1851,and the second in better time! The first trip was 89 days/21 hours. The second 89 days/8 hrs. This record stood until 1989! Yes Nineteen Eighty Nine! Thats when a high performance sloop,named "THURSDAYS CHILD" surpassed the record. And i'm sure it had 20th century technology to help! > Here's the good part! The NAVIGATOR was his WIFE! Eleanor was a MASTER NAVIGATOR! She had to navigate by "dead reckoning" around the Horn, because of constant overcast,prevented her from fixing their position off the Sun. > Later Captain Creesy served in the Union Navy, as Captain of the "INO". The Captain lived from 1814 to 1871. Later served in the Massachusetts Legislature, and an alderman of Salem. They are buried together in Harmony Grove. I will "look" them up,next visit! > I found all this very interesting,because,growing up,i was surrounded by pictures,and books, of sailing ships,due to my fathers interest. When ever my parents took me,and my brother for a ride,to the Cape,or Gloucester,or Boston,we always visited the docks.I kind of continued this tradition,while growing up myself.I can only imagine what vessels my father may of seen,while he was a kid.Figure growing up in the early 1900's there were plenty still around to be seen,whether or not they were being used,or rotting at piers. We are so fortunate,that some people,realize the importance of our past,and keep some these ships alive,such as the Constitution for example. Cast off for now! RJ

likes the history of things, and I think it's important too! I always try to leave some kind of history for my kids on things I think are a part of their heritage. My oldest now, who is thirty five, is just now asking questions and wanting to know about certain things. It warms my heart that she is finally taking an interest!

Being around all the sailing ships like you and your dad would really be something! You live in an area with lots and lots of history that is well known by most of us thru history books.

Did you ever put a message in a bottle and send it off??? :)