Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Who is "Brigadier General Albin F. Irzyk" ?

Ron J

[attachment 43342 HPIM0083.JPG] Today i gave my Daughter, Wendy a break. Took the two youngest Nic,and Max out for awhile.We first went to the Balch playground ,in Beverly,Some friends were playing street hockey.Adults/kids mixed,having a ball! Nic/Max were a little small for this group,but they tried.I next took them to Winter Island for a little nature walk,at Fort Pickering.Its a small area,but huge to them.Here we are in front of Winter Island Light/Salem Harbor.[attachment 43346 HPIM0063.JPG] Here is an entrance way to the moat.This would be hidden by growth in the summer.[attachment 43347 HPIM0066.JPG][attachment 43350 HPIM0068.JPG] From here,we drove by another park,for kids,playground,ballfield,but has a retired army tank planted there.I've driven by hit for the last ten yrs,since it was delivered.I never stopped before,but figured two little rascals,would enjoy climbing on a REAL Tank! What little kid wouldn't like this?[attachment 43351 HPIM0080.JPG][attachment 43352 HPIM0073.JPG] While they were treating this beast,as a toy,i was eyeballing the sign,and got to wondering,Who is this guy? Never heard of him. Well,he served with General George S Patton,everyone heard of him!Great tank commander with the Ivory pistols! It turns out,Brigadier Irzyk,wrote a couple of books,about General Patton,and their battles in Europe,during WWII. The first book is titled "He Rode Up Front For Patton". The reviews look excellent,and may be a little scarce,seeing how Amazon.com is asking $225! Irzyk,gives a first hand, personal acct of his WWII experience,on the Western Front,with the 4th Armored Division,8th Tank Battalion. He eventually became the battalions commanding officer.He witnessed the Battle of the Bulge,Liberations of concentration camps,and i guess a few personal encounters with Patton.His second book,"Gasoline to Patton",is regarding how Patton Army was struck by a gas crunch! Irzyk went on to be Commander of the 14th Armored Cavalry Regiment,during the Berlin Crisis in 1961. Later he served in Vietnam,as Assistant Division Commander,of the 4th Infantry Division.Served in Nam for 2 years.Put in 600 hrs of Helicoptor time.After many medals,including "The Distingushed Service " medal,he retired in 1971,as Commanding General of Fort Devens,in Massachusetts. From what i've read today,Brigadier General Albin F. Irzyk he has been married for over fifty yrs,and still resides in Florida! So this is the connection,between the Tank,and the name of the park. Its is truely amazing how we all ride by parks,squares,monuments daily,but never wonder who or why these places are named for! We are surrounded by history!Its mostly ignored,in our own backyards! We all think everywhere but where we live,has got to be a better place to detect! The last thing i would have expected today,would be writing about the General,and this has led me to write a PART II! RJ

i did plenty of climbing around on Tanks as a kid, it was in the dark though, and we had to climb a fence into the compound. Sometimes the guys at the guardhouse would hear us and yell....you kids get the hell outta there!
Nowadays they would just start shooting i reckon.

We now travel to Hamilton Massachusetts,for the Patton connection![attachment 43356 HPIM0097.JPG] We just came from Salem,South of Beverly,now NorthWest of Beverly. Hamilton is a bordering community.More country like,than Salem.Much more affluent though! This is polo country! Home of Myopia Hunt Club.,where major polo games are played,from around the world. General George S. Patton,resided here.Patton was born in California.Served in WW1 and WWII! He Was an EXPERT Fencer! Learned at West Point. He was the Army's "MASTER of the SWORD",and taught fencing.He was also the Army's best POLO player.He was in the Olympics.He was also out spoken,during his career,something that irratated IKE,and powers in Washington. Yes he did have Ivory handled pistols,a Smith/Wesson .357 Magnum,and a Colt 45, which he purchased in 1915,as a young soldier.He was known for his bravery,and sailing! When stationed in Hawaii,after a leave,he returned by sailing in his own vessel! He saved two kids,in Salem Harbor,from there overturned boat. He did have dogs,as shown in movie. His Bull Terrier was named "Willie" for "William the Conqueror". Patton was in a car accident in Europe,in 1945,just after the end of the war,on Dec.9th. He received a broken neck,died Dec.21 1945,from an embolism,related to the accident.He is buried with the Soldiers who were killed in The Battle of The Bulge. Here is Patton Park,with a memorial Sherman Tank. I included photo's of the tank from Irzyk Park for comparison![attachment 43359 HPIM0093.JPG][attachment 43360 HPIM0087.JPG][attachment 43361 HPIM0090.JPG][attachment 43362 HPIM0082.JPG][attachment 43363 HPIM0084.JPG] RJ

.....and guys like him are often the guys doing the work that other better known generals get the credit for. A salute for the general.

That's a great way to spend time with the grandkids and view a little history too. Looks like you might have a couple of "detecting buddies" down the road. Don't forget to tell them that grampy gets half of their finds.:lol: Neat post !!

precious! Not only did they have fun with you, they learned a lot too! So did I, for that matter! Loved the photos as usual, and the post! Thanks for taking us along on your outing! :)

You won't believe this Ron, but I take my granddaughters to that park! Wonder if we've ever been there at the same time??? :shrug:

Alice and I are spending more time with the grandkids. It is very rewarding and we have a lot of fun. Just Saturday, we went out and tromped around our north field and got our tree. The kids had never done that. They had a ball.

Now that is Salem in Maine [?] isn't it? Or is it Oregon?

sunny skies

M

n/t

HAY,RONNIE ,You need any more photo of TANKS,call me, i have seven years of them,and my out fit was the 14thA/C 2BN. TANK CO.A little before the GEN. time.Nice picture, Your brother SGT.Al JANARD FORMER TANK COM. on M26==M47==M48.I sure miss them rides and that big 90m.m.Your story brought back memoir, got me all excited,i am starting to cool down,see you later. AL.

n/t