Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Who has been using a high Iron Bias?

JimmyCT

Before I obtained my Equinox 800 I read a lot of posts here on Findmall and some of you suggested keeping iron bias at -0- because any amount of iron bias would mask good finds. So naturally, when I first started using the Equinox 800, I had it at -0- for Iron Bias. (heck I know I didn't want to miss any old coins lying next to iron) However, this level Iron Bias made me dig an exorbitant amount of nails. So much so, my pouch was basically filled with them. Then one day, while digging a hole as deep as my Lesche Digger and finding three nails, I was fed up.

I decided to crank up the Iron Bias to -1- however that didn't solve my issue either. I was still digging piles of nails. I then upped it to -2- on the Iron Bias. At this level I was still finding lots of nails but it did take me longer to fill the pouch. Finally, level -3- on the Iron Bias solved my dilemma. Now, probably around 97% of nails are knocked out in any given hunt.

I listened to a Minelab representative on U tube, and they mentioned a high(er) iron bias is how the FBS / BBS machines operated and were able to sniff out non-ferrous next to ferrous. An iron bias of -6- in Park1 on the E800 is default and I am certain this is what the Minelab Representative was referring to as "higher". But, this goes against what some of you are suggesting in finding the non-ferrous next to ferrous. I do plan this Spring to return to my hunting grounds and run a "higher" iron bias. In the meantime,

I am curious as to who here has left the default level of iron bias at -6- or even higher in Park1 or any other mode and how is it working for you?

Hey I’m one who hunts a lot in park 2 stock setting for iron bias heck I don’t even know what the iron bias is in park 2 and I use 5 tones no discrimination and have my sensitivity as high as I can
Works fine for me I hit 5 silversand wheats some clad a two dollar coin spill Sacajawea’s and a killer 1798 largie about 7” down
Under a root.
It works great for me I know the old saying if it ain’t broke don’t fix it lol.

I have been using IB of 3 since the beginning and been very happy. Still dig a few nails but not anything worse than with other detectors. IB of 0 would only be useful in a place where you were basically digging everything anyway only trying to avoid the most obvious iron targets.

Thanks Mark. In Park2 its -0- for Iron Bias. Keep up the nice finds!!

Jason, Like you and for the most part, I am sticking with Iron Bias 3. This preserves my sanity lol

Ill try 3 I do dig some nails lol

If you are digging a pouch full of nails that you thought were goin to be a coin, you need to work on your target analyzing.
Start sweeping your high tones from multiple angles and using your pinpoint function to shape the targets.
You will quickly learn if there is a nail under your coil.
The harder part is figuring out if there is a Coin next to or under that nail and raising your iron Bias will not help you in that.

If you don’t want to be bothered by all of this just raise your iron Bias and go for the easy stuff.
If your trying to pull out the last coins from a depleted site you will need to learn how to isolate these coin signals
and dig a few more nails in the process using 0 or close to 0 Iron Bias.
Iron Bias is a filter and there will be a trade off for using it. If not, everyone would just run full Iron Bias all the time.

I run 0 all the time with great success.

Bryan

Bryan V said:
If you are digging a pouch full of nails that you thought were goin to be a coin, you need to work on your target analyzing.
Start sweeping your high tones from multiple angles and using your pinpoint function to shape the targets.
The harder part is figuring out if there is a Coin next to or under that nail and raising your iron Bias will not help you in that.

If you don’t want to be bothered by all of this just raise your iron Bias and go for the easy stuff.
If your trying to pull out the last coins from a depleted site you will need to learn how to isolate these coin signals
Iron Bias is a filter and there will be a trade off for using it. If not, everyone would just run full Iron Bias all the time.

Bryan
I guess that’s what I run in park 2 man I’ve had some great finds with the settings I use so I stick with them and yep I fo find nails in the holes with coins
And I also go around every target if in doubt my shovel is my discrimination lol

For the guys with the 600 remember there is a difference in values with iron bias. Same range just a coarser adjustment.
Jeff

This is dead on... I run mine on 1...
Bryan V said:

Bryan

I saw that video..... he suggested the Sov would be running IB6 .... i assume thats Iron Mask ON. The Xcal is the same because they both HATE iron...... BUT anyone see the finds they make on a beach? The Sov does a pretty good job hitting targets near iron. You also have to remember those machines he mentioned have a very slow recovery are are best when worked slowly. But then you dont know what you missed if you missed it. Like any setting it will have to be suited to how you hunt and changing it up during various visits may produce some missed targets and simple adjustments can make a machine act totally different....... like hitting it with a different machine. Ive park hunted where just turning the sensitivity way down grabbed coins i totally missed in that 3 to 4" range.

Bryan V said:

Bryan

This post by Bryan pretty much says it all. I run @ 1 mostly and 2 maximum in Field 1 or 2. Your practice on target sizing and multiple sweep directions will be key to improving your find rate.