Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Whites MXT vs. Minelab's XTerra 70

MDMac

I have asked this question on the XTerra Forum so I will ask it here too. I am debating between the White's MXT and the Minelab's Xterra. I know the differences, weight, number of batteries, interchangeable coils, dials for touch pad buttons, etc... But what I want to know is "in the field" experiences. I will be doing coin/jewelry and gold prospecting since I live in the Rocky Mountains. This past winter, I figured I hand shoveled around 20 tons of snow, so the weight shouldn't be that big of an issue, but balance would be nice.

I just want to know which one performs better, has less repair issues, better customer service from the manufacturer, and an easier learning curve. I read a lot of Xterra forums where folks can't figure out how to make the detector perform very well. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Well I was interested in the X70 when it came out but was not prepared to buy one. I have used another club members 4 times which is no where near enough to give an honest opinion about it's abilities and I was not all that impressed. We tested them both on a gold nugget and the MXT kicked it's butt. Coming up on 6 years with the MXT and I think my mind set must be that something I would like better must have come out by now, but I have not found a detector yet that I would give up my MXT for and frankly it has served me so well I don't even know why I give it a second thought. Hmmm, maybe the TDI once it's been out and proven for awhile.

G,day Mac. I owned an X Terra 70 since they were released. I did find a lot of gold with it in that time and as a result believed that it was the best VLF gold detector around.
I have lately though been operating and now own an MXT. The 70 is gone. I have found its tracking in bad ground for gold to be superior. I have also found that the 5.3 coil, touted as a coin coil, is actually a killer on small gold and specimens ( a must have for the serious gold hunter). More so than the 10" DD, which is itself a great coil for the bigger stuff and the really bad ground. 3 Days ago I took out the 5.3 and found a large specimen containing fine gold, not much in gram wise, 2 if I am lucky, but gold nonetheless. The 10" wont respond to it although tomorrow I am going out with the 10" to some pretty variable ground and am hoping for some good yellow. The SAT makes it a winner as well as its , to my mind and compared to others, super aggressive tracking. It has slipped under the radar over here in Australia for gold, though I am sure there are the quiet few who have been laughing because of this over here and doing well. Thats rapidly changing now though.

Here's a bit more info from a customer this morning. He owns the MXT and his mate owns the 70 and they go coin hunting all the time. The MXT is apparently, down here in OZ, giving more consistent good calls on coins than the 70. One will detect a target and call the other over to check with his machine. Sometimes the 70 he says will give a junk call and the MXT a good one and when dug up its a keeper of some kind, coin , buckle etc. His mate is about to switch over to the MXT.

That's a rather interesting comment BT. I was talking to SNOWY over on the Explorer forum a few months back. We were discussing the separation of screw caps from our gold coins. He indicated that the MXT seem to have a better edge on these targets than the Explorer. I presume that he is referring to the MXT's VCO, but he didn't elaborate on it. He is a long time Explorer user who work at the Miners Den in Melbourne part time.
I do fairly well with the GTI on these targets now but I'm always open as to how other detectors operate.
Mick Evans.

Go with the MXT, its by far the better machine for coin and prospecting! MXT + 6 x 10 DD = GMT. I have found a lot of gold in Colorado.:thumbup:

It is amazing how passionate Metal Detectors are towards their own machine. It would seem that the MXT is better at coin, jewelry and relics, and is easier to use. But the Xterra 70, since it can go to 18.75 KHz, is better for the smaller gold nuggets and better at prospecting in general. The Xterra is lighter (less batteries) by nearly 2 pounds but the MXT has a better resale value. The Xterra has more "tones" but the MXT has a better read out display. The MXT has more coils available for it but the Xterra has more frequencies.

Can we make this any more complicated?? LOL!

Hello MDMAC
You have to consider speed of the machine in target ID and separation too.

The MXT is a benchmark detector, the X70 is supposed to be the industry challenge.

The MXT can be outfitted with a SunRay probe, the smallest full feature coil you will own on any machine they are made for. In my opinion ML should have improved the Three frequency machine, the Eureka. How come we never hear much about that unit? 20 KHZ + or - 5KHZ is the Frequency for many gold machines. The MXT at 14KHZ has it's advantage by adapting smart software and the earlier GMT designs. Foundational to It's design is a prospecting mode. It works on finding Nuggets and Iron deposits the prospector seeks. Surveying the sands for magnetite deposits has been a tremendous advantage for the recovery of fine gold. Much depends on how you use it and what your approach is to the hobby.

Get both brands and you tell us in a year!

The MXT is fast, deep detecting and rugged while being well balanced and field proven. It is still the benchmark today in VLF design. Not a complicated machine but underrated with features not taken at times to their full potential. One fellow cleaned up on Gram nuggets in a small area where others passed by. It finds the small gold and the large. It can handle soil changes seamlessly. Coil size determines minimum target size, but the stock 300 will hit small nugs that will impress anyone. A stock 300 and the small coil is all you may need for any situation, but you do have other selections including a wide assortment of after market coils. After market coils help to insure longevity and support of a good product. Maybe the new Pulse is a winner for coil selection alone! Nice to know what coils are available ahead of the purchase so I can go about business.
Sunny Jim

Hey BT!
when on a hunt for the yellow stuff and with a big coil, take the small one (coil) along and use it as a hand probe. No need to turn off the MXT when changing coil connectors, the MXT has Bullet proof electronics. The 9VDC voltage regulator will run the machine until the batts are at 8 VDC. When it turns itself off, you need to replace batteries. But you can still squeak some life out of the batts in a pinch.