Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Whistle Pig Hunt ...

SurfCutter

Back in the early 80's when I was just getting into firearms one of the interests I picked up was hunting Whistle Pigs, ..a.k.a. Woodchucks ,,, Over the years I had been witness to the damage they had caused to the gardens and fields locally so when I had the chance to even the score as they say I became very deliberate in my killings ....
At first my attempts were at best laughable with many attempts , and stocks that resulted in either missed shots or no target ..It was only after I looked over both my methods and equipment did i start to form what my friend and I called Murder Inc.
First was my selection of weaponry , dad's old 1148 Remington shotgun was not the best of choices , so that was upgraded to a lil' take-down Browning .22 Autoloader this was farther refined with a small colt woodsmen after a number of other .22 pistols , but my all time favorite was my Colt 1911A1 .45 Auto.
Now some hunt with the idea that range is the thing , the greater the better to which I bow to , me I hold no such ideals murder is the game and to this end I had no problem with if close was good , closer was better .... Kill was the name of the game .
To give you an idea of just how far I took this I relate one of the my more memorable hunts in the following at the risk of repeating if so please forgive me .....

It was a very hot day in early August my best friend Peter and I had meet up early that morning to spend the day hunting 'pigs on the local farms . Like most farmers they care little for the number of 'pigs killed on their farm but if they see one ' pig day in and day out that is the one that bothers them the most and all others are just numbers ... Old Man Hanson was no exception to this rule ...His 'pig had taken up resident's in the small field between the house and the barn and just in back of the roadside veggie stand.
Both Peter and I had made many at temps to get this pig only to come back empty handed it just was to lucky and wary to fall to our gun . We both had made many rounds walking and stocking the whole farm that day taking targets of opportunity but only to fail if we tried to stock this 'pig. No matter what direction we tried to sneak up on the 'pig it would dive in to it's hole and not follow the usual habits of it's kin to come up and take one more look within a few minutes of going to ground . We both had spent a lot of time waiting in ambush position behind the hole hoping it would try to take that look and give us a chance to send it to a better field .... after spend the morning of this day hunting this pig and failing I looked out from the base of the tree on the top of the hill we called headquarters and again saw our foe . Old man Hanson could see this 'pig from his window at breakfast or from the open door in the milk-room of the barn worst was the back window of the stand.
I told Peter that if I stocked this lil varmint again I was not coming back until I had it's hide . I set off and little always I got to 3/4 of the way only to watch the 'pig go to ground , normally would race up to the hole and get in position behind and wait but experience had shown us that with this 'pig it was a waste of time once down it would stay it was almost like it could still see you and after you had walked away and was half to 3/4 of the way across the field did it show itself .
Well I got in to position , that was I laid down on my belly and cocked my loaded 1911A1 with my special hand-loaded round ball normally used for black-powder guns but I loaded in a 45 case and waited in the heat of the afternoon sun ....
One hour and 25 minutes later I am watching the hole when I see the very tip of a nose start to peek out , it was followed by a top of a head and as that head slowly came out and turned up to see the top of the hole I fired ...drilling it into the side of the much hated foe ..... if the end of the barrel was less than an 1/4 inch away it was not by much .... The cheer from both my friend Peter and Old Man Hanson from across the field was very gratifying for they both had watched this play out one very hot August afternoon ....

Bill g.

Well, it appears that you finally won the battle with that smart Woodchuck. Good story, I liked it! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Well at the time we were more into hunt and blood lust than any reward ....But Old Man Hanson was a tough old buzzard and I know for a fact if he had two nickles to rub together it was only because he had worked twice as hard and long to get them , so if and when I could do anything for him I would and did
... Now his two sons and who I currently grow for, are a whole different breed of cat altogether... They work hard but anything they touch had better be turning a fair profit they do not just go for break even and a penny over a lot of what there father did they will not touch or they ask a fair going price and not what it cost in the old days like their father. They have helped me and I will standby them,,,, great people
Bill G.

n/t

I'd have probably still missed!:rofl: Patience paid off Bill, WTG!

father.had a friend like that,he was a remodeler/carpenter,and a good one,never wanted to cheat people and underbid his jobs and was always behind financially.my brother is a painter/refinisher/lite remodeling man,he use to be similiar in that he underbid jobs,then a light went off in his head that he was working for nothing and he started bidding high.if he got the job good,if not,on to the next job.

n/t