Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Which would you chose?

MDMac

I have a Bounty Hunter IV and love detecting, as most of you do too. I am thinking of buying an upgrade and letting my kids use the BH T4. If you could buy an upgrade and want to keep it under $1,000.00, which would you chose?

Minelab
Whites
Garrett
Another one?

I live in the Rocky Mountains, so I will be doing all three, coinshooting, relic hunting and gold prospecting. From a school yard to an abandoned mine site, I need a detector that will be able to handle any condition. My folks live in CA so there might even be an occasional beach detecting day.

I am tending to lean towards the Whites MXT, and have even called one of the advertisers on here. I am hoping to get as much information as possible.

Thanks and Happy Hunting!

PS: Two of my kids just left to visit their grandparents in CA. I told my son to MD the Beach and bring me a fortune so I can retire!!

In this order:
Fisher F75,
Fisher F70,
Bounty Hunter Landstar.

75 is going to be hard to beat.

I have read that Fisher's has less than stellar Customer Service. Is this true?

Dont know where you hear that from?

How about the newer F70?

Read the feedback thread. Also read some of the Fisher threads. They do make a wonderful machine.

I envy your living situation. My pick is:

1.Whites MXT
2. F75

It may be possible to get the F75 to out-perform the MXT, but my personal preference would be a few extra knobs vs. menus, programs, and large problem-prone LCD screens. F75 build quality lacks that of the MXT. From a value perspective, the MXT is nearly equal at $300+ less. I think my money will agree with you on the MXT.

Compare the Whites MXT with the Fisher F75 or F70.

Which is deeper?
Which has less break down problems?
Which company has better Customer Service?
Which one has better search discrimination?

And all the other questions I can't think of at the moment?

MDMac
Detecting Metal since 2008

[quote EZrider]Dont know where you hear that from?[/quote]
I would badmouth Fisher. I just placed a post on the Fisher forum calling Fisher arrogant for a couple of reasons and I'll repeat them here. I have written them a couple of emails, they ignored me. I have called them a couple of times on my dime 'cause they don't have an 800# for hobby detectors only for their industrial branches, they've ignored my requests. I left voice mail for the guy who I was told would supply me with info about the never-appearing F5 and I didn't get a reply. They're too damn arrogant for my taste.

If I wasn't considering their F5, after reviews, I'd tell them to kiss my burro!

Golden Silver

Look at the Tesoro Cortez or the De Leon, You will spend less than 1,000 and you can't beat the lifetime warranty.

[quote Cherokeefan68]Look at the Tesoro Cortez or the De Leon, You will spend less than 1,000 and you can't beat the lifetime warranty.[/quote]
Thanks for the recommendation, I admire Tesoro's status in the industry since many swear by their detectors. But, unfortunatly, I prefer a detector with an expanded display and Tesoro detectors have never gone that route. For my basic park needs the Tesoro's outstanding performance is not necessary since in NYC's parks the coins are no deeper than 5-6 inches and rarely THAT deep.

Edward

I am really leaning towards the Whites MXT, mainly due to customer service. Also, I think I like the dials more than a menu driven program. For those that lean towards the Fisher, do you feel there is an advantage to the Menu vs Dials?

It might Aid your research to look elsewhere than a Bounty Hunter forum for information on the F75 or MXT. At the top of this page, click search, type F75,or MXT, then scroll through the dozens of pages of user feedback. Allot of comparison between fisher and whites products by people who use them everyday. I hope this helps. GL and HH, JJ

I wonder if you put little rubber o rings at the base of the plastic knobs, if the dials would stay put better...I mean if you accidentally brushed them with your hand or something...I have heard many folks complain about that fact with machines that use dials...

HH,

BH-LandStar

[quote MDMac]I am really leaning towards the Whites MXT, mainly due to customer service. Also, I think I like the dials more than a menu driven program. For those that lean towards the Fisher, do you feel there is an advantage to the Menu vs Dials?[/quote]
In my opinion, modern high tech detectors with only pushpads and programs up the wahoo are not user-friendly machines. In older days, detectors were turn on and go machines although some had as many as 8 knobs. But those knobs adjusted and stayed adjusted. My recent BH Discovery 3300 had pushpads only and when you changed modes your settings were erased, a BIG drag.

So I settled on a BH Land Star 'cause it has knobs that stay set where you want them. I'm considering the Fisher F5 'cause it has a plethora of knobs in addition to high tech and I feel it's going to be more user-friendly than the competition offering no knobs. We're supposed to enjoy the hobby, not spend time constantly dealing with pushpads, programs, etc. Time should be spent detecting and digging not adjusting. There will be some that will say that programs are "necessary" but those are not the old timers speaking but the younger generation. I don't know why anyone would want a program such as "coins and jewelry" when no one knows what's in the ground until it's exposed. And we know that regardless of the programs or settings we get signals for this and we dig up that.

Golden Silver
and oldie but goodie

go to " metal detector reviews" website. all machines are covered, and the reviews are written by real people like ourselves who have tried and own the machines. so there's no corporate agendas there or pressure from the detector makers; that's refreshing. our own bhlandstar left a review on there! i'm sure you will, like i have, find it to be a most enlightening experience. good luck, and hh,