Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Which to get rid of?

somedad56

Hello everyone,

I would like to first begin by saying that I live in western Missouri and that I have a multitude of machines. My delima is which machines to get rid of and which to keep for relic hunting. Currently, I have the Whites Xlt, Minelab Xterra 50, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Whites 6000 classic and the Tesoro Bandito. To be quite honest I have never had much luck in this area of the state getting much depth out of any of these machines. I have taken these machines to my friends, to dealers and with the mineralization of this area noone gets much depth. My friend, has a Tesoro Tejon and by far it is superior to all of my machines when it comes to depth. He runs circles around my machines finding the deep targets. If you owned the machines that I own which would you keep and which would you sell? Also, for my situation which of the current detectors on the market would you suggest that I buy? I know some will say well stick with the one you like best or that works best for you, however, while I could do this I am in search of the machine that will work best for my type of searching and for my area and the ground in which is here. Thanks to all in advance who offer ideas.

Hi, I'd get rid of both of the older White's units and keep the other 3. There is no reason you should not get great results from the other three units. Go on each forum that deals with that brand and ask the guys who live close to you for a stable but deep program in your area. They're a good group of guys and someone will help you out. The Xlt especially should get you at least 8 or 9 inches on a dime and about 12 on a large cent. Ask around before you spend any more cash!!! George

I'll admit I am prejudiced toward the XLT. I don't know about the soil in Mo. but I relic hunt in Ky. and have found 22 cal. bullets at 9 inches. I feel any machine that can do that can do most any relic hunting the average person will do. So much for my 2 cents worth.

Thank you for replying! I can never get much more than around 4 inches with my xlt...no matter what my target is my xlt always reads around 4 inches. I have sent it in to be worked on and whites has sent it back saying it was fine. I have tried various programs, had various people try it out who own an xlt and I am still very dissapointed in its depth. The most I have ever got was around 7 inches in the ground. Any suggestions on settings?

I just raise the AC and DC Sens by 5 each, boost Pre Amp Gain up to 4, use Tone ID and VCO. I am using the stock relic program. I also use the same settings for the coin and jewelery program. I have these downloaded in my custom programs and have have no problem finding my share of the finds. I don't know how they will work in your soil but I have no problem getting 10-12 inches. The XLT is one of the best all-time maachines made and one of the best selling. Don't give up on it. I wouldn't trade mine for any detector on the market

I had an XLT also, and my experience was much the same as yours. I never seemed to find targets beyond about 5 inches - and believe me, I played around with all the different settings and programs. I did fairly well with it coin hunting, but it seemed to me the biggest drawback to the XLT was the speed of the processor. It's slow in IDing compared to say the newer MXT.

Don't know about the Xterra, the two older White's models are fairly similar in features - I'd pick a favorite of the two and sell the other.

After going through the XLT, a couple of MXTs, a few Fishers and a 6000 XL Pro, I bought a Nautilus DMCIIb. The best machine I've ever used for relic hunting, bar none. This winter I have made some incredible finds in "unhuntable" places with lots of iron, and just to prove it to myself I dug a half-dozen bullets out of a hillside that EVERYONE (including me more than a few times) had been over. It's not the easiest detector to use, it's not the prettiest, but it's designed to give the best performance, period.

Now you're probably saying, but aren't all detectors designed for top performance? Yes and no. The big players want to sell detectors, and they sell a lot. What they don't want is machines coming back from users who can't make them work. So, they put in auto-ground balance and digital ID systems. These aren't necessarily bad things, but they are a compromise in one way or another. Mostly they skew towards coin-type targets and miss some of the low-conductivity stuff.
They're designed like this (IMHO) to keep the occasional user happy - little Bobby wants to find coins at the beach, not dig bottle caps. While that works out ok for Bobby, for me and you looking for buttons it's not the best choice.

I thought about getting that machine as well. Anyway guys I took the plunge and put my White's 6000 Di Pro SL up for sale on Ebay...as far as I know there is only one other for sale on ebay and it doesnt look like mine condition wise. Had one guy email me and ask me if it had ever been used lol. I think I am leaning toward buying the Tesoro Vaquero seems to be a little more stable than Tejon and some say it is a bit easier to ground balance. Thanks again guys for your information!