Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Which is the best detector to buy.. I get asked that alot and would like to share my thoughts with you....

Jim Vokes NY

The Explorer & Sovereign which I use are excellent machines, as they gives tonal ID as well as the meter identification. They also see "thru" much mineralization that block other brands. Especially effective where the dreaded "black sand" is present. The "D" coil system is an excellent feature as well, relative to "complete deep ground coverage"..

Actually the complexity of these machines and what they can do can be a detriment to a new user! Newbies are overwhelmed by the complex potential discussed on the forums. It is falsely stated that it takes a long "learning curve" to learn these machines. I say "BULL"! In fact, they really are turn on and go machines. Check my quick "turn on and go setup" on my web site!

Sovereigns and Explorers are notoriously poor ergonomically and I definitely use a "bungee arrangement! I have gotten quite use to it and 'the swing thingy" has values that far outweighs the "uncomfortable" factor. I also use the system when swinging my gas weed wacker, much to my pleasure.

Now this is NOT to say that any of the Popular Brands are not as good because the "user" is 90% of the formula for success. I have used Garrett and Whites.. then got away from detecting for a few years.. When I came back to it, I bought my first Minelab Sovereign and fell in love with it.. Then the Explorer came out and I "just had to have one". The Minelabs have never given me any reason to want another brand.

All that being said, I belong to a group of detecting friends from various areas of NY State. Out of the dozen or so experienced, successful detectorist, all the popular brands are "their favorites". Whites, Fishers, Garretts, Minelabs, Tesoros, Shadows, etc. are passionately used by these guys!

We have traveled to various parts of NY state for weekend group hunts and we found that NO BRAND has stood out! All are successful, because the "Users" put in the time to "learn" what their particular brand is telling them! They are the most persistent and optimistic bunch of guys I know. As serious as they are about the hobby, they never cease to realize that sharing fun and knowledge with "friends" is equally important!

If you think that the weight will be a problem, then pick another fine brand. Learn what the machine is telling you. You will be successful and truly embark on the hobby of a lifetime!

I hope I have helped you in some way and wish you the very best of luck. You are entering the new world of Metal Detecting and I hope that you realize it's full potential as you go through life my friend.

God Bless and keep in touch! Love to communicate with "old detecting friends" I meet along the way.

[www.frontiernet.net]

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all..

Jim Voke NY

Good words Jim,
and have a lovely Christmas and new year yourself...

HH

Snowy, and Wife:twodetecting:

"It is falsely stated that it takes a long "learning curve" to learn these machines. I say "BULL"! In fact, they really are turn on and go machines."

I agree 100% Jim, I have said for many years, once you get the settings you want to hunt with, the Minelab IS a turn on and go detector.

I believe those who have the most trouble are those who had White's detector and they loved to play with different programs. I was a Garrett user for 20 years prior to going to Minelab and all of those were turn on and go machines in my opinion and feel the same about the Explorer.

When I first got the Explorer, I had settings given to me by an experienced hunter (Beachcomber) I basically followed his advice and on my first hunt with the Explorer, when to a spot I hunted many times with the Garrett GTA1000 and within a half hour had my first deep coin, an early year Half Cent. Convinced me that day it was not a hard detector to learn and that it sure went deeper than my previous detectors. That was in 2000 and 6 years later I have not changed my mind!

Don in South Jersey

I went into my first Explorer with the an open mind and set everything I knew about other machines aside.I was up and running in no time.
One point I'd like to make. I went into the SE as though it were another Explorer XS. I guess that was my first mistake.