Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Which Coil would be best for the beach

rl1059

Going to FL. soon just curious if any of you might have some advice on which coil might be best for the beach.
I have the 12" spider coil & the excell.DD 6",any opinions or comment from your experience.
I think I can cover more ground with the 12" and the 6" would be a tighter search area.I won't have to
worry so much about back filling,but I also don't want to miss an opportunity of a great find....
Thanks to all,and HH
RL
P.S. I have already made the prep's for protecting my MXT from surf and sand,do not plan to be
actually in the water with it,maybe just the edge of water and mostly on the dry beach.

I used my MXT on the Texas beaches with no trouble. I hunted like you plan to. The 12" should work super on the low mineral Florida beaches and on the dry sand for sure. I've never used the 12" so I don't know how it will work in the wet sand being a concentric coil. The 6" DD will work in the wet sand but is small for a beach. It would be good for hunting in trashy areas. I used a 5.3" for hunting around the camp fires.

I used the 6x10 DD most of the time because it was the biggest coil I had. It handled the wet sand fine. I wouldn't set the detector to the salt position unless I had to. In the dry sand it ran fine in the ground position and you will get better depth. Switch to salt when it starts acting up as you get into the wet stuff. Rob

I agree with Rob, and the 6 X 10 DD would be my choice also.

I wished I lived closer to the ocean beaches to try out my new 10x12 SEF Excelerator (butterfly) coil. I think it would be a great coil to use on the beaches. HH Dennis in Idaho

Hey, Dennis just UPS it to me and I'll let you know how it works !!!:detecting:
(just kidding,but your probably right on it doing a good job) I'll have to save my change
after you send a review of it's performance.

Hi RL,

I used the 12 inch spider coil a couple weekends ago at the NC beach. It did a great job and really gets down there. Only drawback is that after a couple of hours, it gets heavy, and after 3 hours it feels like you're swinging a boat anchor. I am accustomed to swinging the little 5 inch coils in the wood chips, and don't swing the 12 inch coil that often, so take that into account. I think you will be pleased with the 12 inch spider at the beach. I was 90% in the dry sand and 10% in the wet sand..Good luck!

Pete

BigFoot is what I have used and also in large soccer fields and any large area. 18 x 4 inch coil...I've posted here many times on the BigFoot. It's very light weight and I can use this coil all day long without getting sore. Pinpoints on a dime :rofl: (Had to say that.) This would be my choice for playing in the sand.:thumbup: HH to all, Nancy

Nancy- How deep do you think you can get with the bigfoot in a sandy beach?

Jim, It seemed that I was getting at least 6" in the sand if not more. If there was a can down there, 10" too deep! On land it will get only 4-5 inches deep. And have I shown you my great sand scoop I used? I'll have to find the picture on here. Found it. LOL Hey, it works... And Larry wanted one also. HH to all, Nancy

Maybe doing some " 12oz. arm curls" will help build up some stamina for swinging the 12" coil all day.
( That is 12oz. water FYI ) but I may relax with just one adult beverage after sundown.

HH to all
RL