Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Where does the gold hit

ironpit

OK I know that gold just isn't lying everwhere but I also don't want to miss
any. I have a silver umax and hunt the tot lots with the disc set at foil. I have
found earrings, rings, tabs, and nickels but no gold. And I know that size does
make a difference but I want to know that I'm in the ballpark.

You are in the ballpark.

Ironpit, I haven't found Au in a while, at the places I hunt.

Gold is alloyed in a number of different concentrations, and with various metals to make jewelry.
As you know, it is lost in lots of sizes and shapes... as such, it will appear as a low conductor from foil, on up through most the discrimination scale.

If you follow the code and Dig 'em All, you'll get gold if the coil passes over it.
HH

Funny thing you mentioned that. I was hunting the front lawn and had it set between iron and foil. I overlapped my grid as usuall and on the second pass I heard the same broken then good signal.
I heard it the first pass too, both passes were broken and not quite the solid a signal as I wanted to hear but sometimes it hit strong and other swings it broke up.
I went ahead and dug because it was definetely different and ended up with a 14K mans wedding band.
Whats even weirder is the yard I was hunting was my girlfriends who hunts with me.
I asked her why she never found it.
As it turned out It was a ring she had found at the beach, Then given to her future son in law then thrown by him during an argument with his wife(her daughter).
Well it was given back to her, but I did turn my discimination back a little.
The thing is with gold is that its not everywhere and so you never really get a chance to learn the signals proper.
It usually is the signal you dont want to dig but something keeps pushing you back to it.
Its not allways like a coin or tab with a solid signal..
So anyhow I keep mine just a bit over iron from now on and I will double or triple sweep a signal for any sound thats different.
These Tesoro`s are the way to go. Back when I had an old shoebox golden sabre I used to go to the local hunted out park and allways pulled coins and rings mostly settled at weird angles that the lower frequency guys missed.
Good Luck Out There.

High Ironpit,

Dieseldust and Rmptr are both giving you good accounts of gold hunting strategies.

I have dug several gold objects with a Silver Sabre uMax which has the same kind of
ED-120 discriminator and reacts very similar, if not the same.

Seems most places I hunt have been hunted before I got to them, so usually I find small
gold that they miss for the same reason you and others have trouble finding it.

I promise you that small gold more often is at the very bottom end of your discriminator.
That is because you have a ED-120 which rejects small iron and small gold starts hitting
at that point. So to get it, it has to be all the way down. Also you loose sensitivity
to gold if you use any discrimination. If you have a ED-180, you can afford to turn the disc
up just a little and not loose as much sensitivity. Not with the Silver. Some people are
confused about that. The Silver will accomplish the task pretty good with no disc. So the
tone will more often be broken because it's at the bottom end of the scale.

I suggest going to tot lots or swim beaches where the likely hood of finding gold is higher.
Turn your sensitivity as high as you can stand it. Dig all targets, even the iffy, hard to hit
on signals. Use Killer B's or same quality headphones. Targets are easy to recover in most
tot lot media. So after recovering about 3,000 or 4,000 targets, you will start to get some
idea of how it sounds. That may sound like a lot of targets but I can do about 300 or more
in a couple of hours, no problem. So it is no stretch of the imagination that you can easily
recover that my targets in only 30 hours of hunting.

It's not a big hard secrete that only the pro's know. It's just a simple thing that most people
are afrade to attempt. What!!!!!!!!! DIG ALL TARGETS!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT AFTER I PAID A
THOUSAND DOLLARS TO KNOW WHAT I"M DIGGING BEFORE I DIG!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the attitude that leaves me my booty. Thanks fellas.

HH,

White gold is the toughest and it is usually just above iron on they Disc dial. Depending on the shape, the mass, and the composition of the gold it can read from iron all they way up the scale to the silver range. Rose gold has more copper in it so it will read higher, white gold has more nickel in it so it reads lower. Rings almost always ring up strong and repeatable so if you get a traget in the "pop top" range but it sounds really smooth and repeatable.....Dig It!.