Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Where can I legally detect?

jeffatnip

Hi, new member here from Germantown, TN, and a new Ace250 user. I went to a city park to detect yesterday for the first time in my life and felt very self-conscious. (Found 3 coins, 1 earring and 17 pieces of junk). I kept looking over my shoulder expecting a park official to order me off the property. From reading posts here it seems to be the case that it is legal to MD on any public property. Can anyone reassure me on this? Do I need to check with the city? Thanks.

I always get permission from the proper authorities/owners, this way I do not have to worry and watch over my shoulder. By asking permission you get to know the people and they sometimes give you leads to other places to search. I asked permission from the Recreation Dept. in my home town and once they got to know me, they gave me dozens of leads as to where to look. i renew my written permission once every three months as a courtesy and so they know who I am.
Your Friend,

When you are getting permission, let them know that you will be removing the junk stuff also. Make sure that you fill in your holes, and leave the area so no one can tell that you have been there.

Thanks for all of the good advice. How did you get the written permission? Did you have a pre-written letter for them to sign? Also, would it be better to write a letter in which I describe how I will clean up the trash, be neat and tidy etc.. or go in person with the same info? Thanks!

Here is a form I sometimes use for private property owners. The Park Service has their own forms which they date and I sign. They give me a copy and file the original. Hope this is helpful to you.
Your Friend,

Permission to Metal Detect on Private Property

I, ____________ _________________ agree to allow ____ _ _____ who lives at ___ ______ ____ ________ __ to use a metal detector to search for and recover buried relics, coins, and other artifacts located on my property at ___ ______ ____ ________.
It is understood that recovery includes the digging of small holes which will be repaired as nearly as possible to the original condition. This permission shall remain in effect until such I revoke it.

the city police at their non-emergency number (not 911) & ask if it's OK to detect in city parks, or if you could be fined for it.

I heard a rumor that detecting in St. Paul (MN) city parks was illegal, so called park & rec to ask. I was told law says no digging in parks. I then asked if my screwdriver would be considered a shovel. They said law also said no disturbing the ground. Then they suggested I could try calling the police, so I did.

I asked police person answering the phone if I could be fined for detecting in St Paul city parks. She said that's a good question, I'll go get someone who knows. I was told I might be fined if I left a big hole that could result in injury & said other than that, to use my own discretion. So, in effect, permission granted.

The laws saying no digging or disturbing predate metal detectors, but are often misunderstood as being anti-detecting laws. They are just trying to prevent intentional damage for no reason. While the law usually goes by the letter of the law rather than the spirit (intent)of the law, this is an exception in most communities. Generally, if you aren't doing something that necessitates repair, you're OK. Just ask the police, many of them detect, too! HH, George (MN)

[attachment 52097 ScreenHunter_008.jpg]

Thanks for everyone's advice. I sent a carefully worded email to the Director of Parks and Recreation yesterday. I will see what happens today.