Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

When to change batteries?

ccfl

I've finally used the X-70 enough that the battery indicator has moved to half. When do you more experienced users typically change your batteries?

Thanks.

I always change mine when I see the "Half Charge" icon but I'm usually prospecting for Gold and need maximum power just so I don't miss anything. I've heard that low batteries can cause the odd flaky signal. Coin hunters probably wouldn't need to worry as much. The best thing about the AA batteries is that you can buy them anywhere, use rechargeables or ....carry a spare set with no extra noticeable weight.

I change my batteries when the indicator gets near, or hits empty. Here is my reasoning behind that..... the electronic circuitry is powered by the AA cell pack. Four cells, 1.5 volts each, for a total of 6 volts. In testing, I've found that the very moment the battery indicator becomes empty, the battery (4 alkaline cells) still register 3.99 volts. That tells me two things. One, it requres 4 volts to operate the detector properly. And two, the indicator comes on when the voltage drops below 4 volts. With the ability to use four 1.2 volt rechargeable cells, I am of the opinion that the X-Terra electronics use a regulated voltage source. And, they need to see a regulated 4 volts to operate properly. Even if the cell pack is fresh and has 6 volts available, I believe it is regulated to only provide 4 volts to the circuit. If there is less available, the empty tank symbol comes on. If there is more than 8 volts (as with the Lithium Ions), it shuts down. But if you are anywhere in between a minimum of 4 and a maximum of 8, it regulates the applied voltage to 4 volts.
So, in my opinion, whether you change your batteries when the indicator is full, nearly empty or somewhere in between, as long as there are a minimum of 4 volts available, the X-Terra is operating at it's peak capabilities. Once it dips into the "empty tank" symbol, replace them. Remember, current flow is what drives the electronics. Voltage is simply the electrical pressure on the amps, to make them flow. As long as there is sufficient voltage to provide enough amps to "do the job", (E = I X R) the X-Terras are happy! :biggrin: JMHO HH Randy

Interesting theory Randy. I had not thought of that. I know that a bunch of circuit boards I see work on 5V DC. So your theory is very likely, Beale.

I found some batteries at a place called Dollar Tree. They sell a brand called Sun Beam 8 in a pack.
Great Deal? Well not really. They are poor quality and run out of juice quickly. You can use four of them
most of the day an maybe into the next, but for the most part you don't get much life out of them after that.
Still, eight batteires for $1 isn't bad. My rechargeable just want to keep going and going until the next charge.
WalMart sells RaoVac 4 for a dollar but again you get what you pay for.

Robert R

The regulated 4 volt usage makes alot of sense....especially with the X-70 being mostly digital. I have rechargeable AA batteries, and a charger that I bought when I got my digital camera a few years ago. I'm going to give them a try next and see how they work.......as long as the 4 volt regulated theory works, and it sounds like it should, that may be the best way to go. I'm not opposed to buying new.....it will just be interesting to see if there is there is any noticeable difference in performance.

I took the X-70 out today and it went to the low battery signal after a couple of hours......the sound surprised me at first :blowup:. What really surprised me was how quickly it went from the batteries first indicating half charge, 2 days ago, to low charge today? We are talking about a span of maybe 4 hours detecting time betwwen the two instances. I was using the bunny type alkalines....keep going and going? I doubt that it was the batteries.....maybe just a quirk of the X-70? Has anyone else experienced such a drastic difference between the half charge and low charge indications? I put these batteries in new, close to the first of February, and put in at least 15-20 hours before the half charge symbol first showed up. Thanks for your help in advance.

CCFL

That is strange about your detector going down so quickly. I have about 10 hours on mine currently and the meter has not budged. Let us know what you find out.
Cheers

n/t