Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

When someone steals what you have rightfully stolen :) :)

Micheal_R

Staff member
Okay, this one goes back a good many years.. I cannot remember the exact year but it was in the late 50s, early 60s as I recall. Back in those days, diving was pretty much in its infancy as far as the general public was concerned. A diver was a 'special person' who dared to do the extraordinary; or at least that seemed to be the general view. People would come up and ask all manner of questions about the undersea world.

At the time of this tale, there was a club in Victoria called the Sea Searchers. We were a bunch of crazies whose only desire, at that point in our lives, was to get in the water as often as we could. Any excuse would do; spearfishing, collecting stuff, photography, wreck diving....we were game and not very much could stop us in our diving. Weather maybe on occassion but that was pretty much it. So when the opportunity came to dive on an intact wreck, [my first at that time] I jumped at the chance. It entailed a bit of a drive up to Barclay Sound on the west coat of the Island, but that was really no problem. We had Rods boat and so off we went.

We launched our boat at Port Alberni, where Wayne started his halibut trip, and headed west until we finally hit Turret Island about 40 minutes later. The water was clear enough that you could see the shape of the wreck starting about 15 feet down.

The HMCS Thiepval was a fisheries patrol boat that was used on the west coat. It was launched in 1917 [I Think] and sank in 1930. She hit a rock in what is now called Thiepval Channel and stayed there for quite a while. Eventually, she did sink and turned into a very nice artificial reef. There are anenomes, kelp, cod.....a whole gamut of sea life on the wreck so it was a beautiful experience to dive there. We explored that ship from one end to the other and in doing so, we discovered that the ships gun was still on her. This was a 12 pound cannon. Well, let me tell you, there was just no way that this gun was going to stay on that wreck. Even back in those days, I was heavily into cannons and I decided that the cannon was about to be mine. Thus it happened tha Dave and I set out to 'recover' this baby.

We only had a limited supply of tanks but there were enough for us to make a decent start at releasing it from the deck Remember, this had been on the bottom for 30+ years and the bolts really did not want to release their prize. We got a few off but the rest resisted all efforts to undo them. We had run out of air and made our plans to come back the following weekend. During that week, I made up a bunch of thermite figuring that that would get the gun free.

Next weekend, we were up there with a goodly supply of tanks [we had borrowed all of our buddies who could not come] and set to with a will. We applied the thermite [it is a mixture of iron oxide, commonly called rust, and aluminum shavings. If I remember right, we used vaseline as the binding agent.]to the bolts, and ignited it with a flare. It burns at a very high temperature and melts the metal away. Amazingly enough, it actually worked and with minimal effort, the gun was finally free. Whoo-Hoo!!!!. Unfortunately, we did not figure in the weight of this puppy, and no amount of heaving and cursing would get it up. We headed back for one more item; a small winch that would bring our trophy up.

Well, we had to celebrate our achievement, and we had to have a toast. Rum being the mandatory drink of divers,that was our choice of libation.. One led to two and two led to.......hangovers. We dragged our weary, sore kiesters up and out of the sack and slowly organized ourselves to go back to the boat. We arrived at the wreck site and, reluctantly, got suited up. Remember this was wet suit days and the suits were still wet and COLD from the day before. So down we go, rope in hand. HUH??? Where is the damn gun??? It was GONE!!!!!!!! Fall off the deck? Nope!! We killed 2 tanks just looking for it and could not locate it. Home we went dejected and irate and very puzzled. We were the only divers around so just where did it go??

Ah-Ha.. we were NOT the only divers around. A group from Ucluelet and come out and stolen our prize. They had taken it to Ukie and were intent on displaying it at the harbour. We were so peeved!!! Our work, that we had put all that time into getting, was now sitting in the harbour with someone elses' name on it. Well, we took the high road and let it go [what else could you do really?] . A few years later, we met up with one of our fellow 'competitors' and had a couple of rums on him. Had a few laughs and generally, felt pretty good about the whole thing. To the best of my knowledge, it is still there, on display.

But when I think of what might have been,.....

All the best

M

have gotten that cannon out of there, you could have displayed it yourself. It is kinda funny in that you post this story the day after "The Perfect Storm" movie was being shown on TV down here. I watched bits and pieces of the movie as I was doing some simple chores around here and started thinking about all the ship wrecks on the bottom of the sea and the artifacts that could possibly be there. Your story fascinates me, makes my simple mind do some day dreaming. Thanks for sharing this story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Dickheads as far as I am conserned. :D

Here is a couple maps of the area you were diving. The closeup also shows where Wayner was fishing- see the arrow?

I used World Wind to make the pictures. Those days diving must have been something..

n/t

is the area so vast that it is just hard to find them? Also, is it "finders keepers" if you do find a wreck with lots of good things inside it? While these questions may appear to be stupid, please remember that I know nothing about diving or ship wrecks. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

sorry ya got beat to it!

Dave

I am sure that just depends on where they sunk.

Unlike the wrecks in the Ocean the wrecks in the great lakes are in pretty good shape. There are wooden ships that have been under water for a hundred years and the wood is intact. You rarely see that in the Ocean.

I dove on the Rhone in Tortola, that is the wreck they used to make The DEEP and it is in better shape than most but it still is a mess.

There are worms salt water, Toreo worms or something like that that eat the wood.

I saw a movie of one of the first dives on the Kamloops that sank in the early 1900's. It was just off a reef on Isle Royale in Lake Superior. It was in a 200-270 feet of water and had just been discovered. The divers went into the engine room and the engineer was still in coveralls and floating against the ceiling!!! The water is so cold down there and low on dissolved oxygen that it preserved the body. It was amazing. The lack of dissolved oxygen also meant that there was no animal life either.

It is a different kind of diving, in the Great Lakes

that big eel with teeth was hiding in a hole in the rocks? I keep thinking that I saw that movie many, many, many years ago. If it is the same one, I remember the eel and I keep thinking that the woman movie star was good looking and had lots of freckles? Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Definitely the right area. Diving was a real adventure back in those days. I term it shopping now.....colour co-ordinated suits and "every gadget known to man available for your diving safety". Huh!!! Just give me a tank and let me go. :)

all the best

M

have worked our tails off for no or minimal reward. Still, it was an adventure. :)

all the best

M

However, simple mind??? I think not. Your stories always are enjoyable to me and I look forward to them.

Diving has been my main field of enjoyment. Sometimes, I will let it rest for a while, but I always retuen to it..

Take care.

All the best

M

However, our house is littered with the proceeds of my diving...portholes, bells, propellors. But, that would have been a very nice highlight. Imagine driving into a yard and staring that in the face :) :)

all the best

M

n/t

That was an interesting story and more would be forthcoming i am sure!
Did you ever hear of a freighter that went down in Barclay sound with a full load of new Toyotas?
Wayne

and it sure was in my mind. :yikes:

I remember something about her bobbing around too :yikes:

one of the portholes from it. When we went to it in 1972, it was pretty much all there..... a few cars on board [they did manage to salvage most of them], etc.But if I remember correctly, the cars were Dodge colts It went down off Austin{?] Island but the neat thing is that the captain made it across the Pacific with NO navigational equipment except a couple of compasses.

Well he wrecked the ship, and he was heading for California, but other than that, he did well. :lol::lol:

all the best

M

n/t

n/t