Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

When I get a good tone and VDI and pinpoint ?

Grunter

I'm running Park 1 sen.20,iron bias 5 and recovery speed 3 and all metal. I get a good tone 360 and VDI but when I pinpoint I get neg. numbers. I've dug a number of these signals and I usually get what the pos. VDI indicated.Anyone else experiencing this?

Get ahold of another one of those and before you dig it up,drop your iron bias to zero. See what the VDI does then. ALL targets will have SOME Conductive response,the bigger the target,the better it becomes,even if it winds up being a junker. Zero iron bias gives a more “true” indication of the targets qualities...

Hi Grunter,

Are you saying that you are getting a negative number during pinpointing that is different from the last target ID number? From my experience and from the manual, if a target ID number is displayed when pinpointing it is the target ID of the last object detected before pressing the pinpoint button. You should not get a new number after pressing the pinpoint button. When I detect a target and pinpoint it the number is the same as the last one displayed before pinpoint is pressed. If I have to start over with the pinpoint process because I sometimes get weird pinpoint audio- (talked about a lot on these forums) and I press the pinpoint button to leave pinpoint function and then press the pinpoint button to try again I will have no target ID number just the two dashes _ _. Sounds like you were over a ferrous target when you hit the pinpoint button or a deep target that happened to quickly give a negative number because of depth and/or mineralization.

Jeff

That doesnt sound right Jeff or im misunderstanding you. The purpose of PP and having it display a digit is increased depth and TID. Otherwise its working like a PI...... just saying yes..... your right there is a target down there. Mine seems to give the correct TID...... if it can. If there is more than one target thu....it could throw it off. But if ive removed some sand it can give a Neg digit...... it looses the target to the HOLE and surrounding minerals.

Hi Dew,

this is what I love about the Equinox Forum here and on Steve H. site. We are all (ESPECIALLY ME) learning how to use a very different kind of detector. I got to talk with Kevin Hoagland (GPAA) for a few minutes last weekend. He gives master classes on gold prospecting detecting. I asked him why he didn't talk about the Equinox in the master class I attended and he said he would have to do a separate class on the Equinox since it operated in ways that were so different from other normal prospecting detectors. I believe the pinpoint function is one of those that is completely different on the Equinox.

The manual says on page 36 step 1 after pressing the pinpoint button "The Target ID of the detected target will remain on the Target ID Display and the depth indicator will show its approximate depth" That happens BEFORE the pinpoint process begins when the coil is AWAY from the target. The target ID and depth indication do not change during the pinpoint process.

At least on this forum, I have been criticized and ridiculed for some of my "UTTER CRAP" claims about the lack of a classic all metal detecting mode that is available to the user on the Nox. There is nothing in the manual that says pressing the pinpoint button will give you a better target ID or more depth. It does remove the current discrimination pattern so the NOX will temporarily detect all metals in the current mode you are using- Park 1, Park 2, etc. From the manual, it also "progressively masks the Target response by reducing the Sensitivity with each sweep until only a very narrow target response remains. This helps identify the exact location of the target."

I am just beginning to understand and believe what I'm reading in the manual. I have used too many detectors to count and none of them had a pinpoint function like the Nox. Most of them went directly into some form of unfiltered true all metal mode. Some (like my Whites M6) would give an updated target ID.....

Thanks for raising the question about the validity of my statements in a very respectful way. I'm just trying to learn this detector like everybody else.

Jeff

jmaclen said:
Hi Dew,

this is what I love about the Equinox Forum here and on Steve H. site. We are all (ESPECIALLY ME) learning how to use a very different kind of detector. I got to talk with Kevin Hoagland (GPAA) for a few minutes last weekend. He gives master classes on gold prospecting detecting. I asked him why he didn't talk about the Equinox in the master class I attended and he said he would have to do a separate class on the Equinox since it operated in ways that were so different from other normal prospecting detectors. I believe the pinpoint function is one of those that is completely different on the Equinox.

The manual says on page 36 step 1 after pressing the pinpoint button "The Target ID of the detected target will remain on the Target ID Display and the depth indicator will show its approximate depth" That happens BEFORE the pinpoint process begins when the coil is AWAY from the target. The target ID and depth indication do not change during the pinpoint process.

At least on this forum, I have been criticized and ridiculed for some of my "UTTER CRAP" claims about the lack of a classic all metal detecting mode that is available to the user on the Nox. There is nothing in the manual that says pressing the pinpoint button will give you a better target ID or more depth. It does remove the current discrimination pattern so the NOX will temporarily detect all metals in the current mode you are using- Park 1, Park 2, etc. From the manual, it also "progressively masks the Target response by reducing the Sensitivity with each sweep until only a very narrow target response remains. This helps identify the exact location of the target."

I am just beginning to understand and believe what I'm reading in the manual. I have used too many detectors to count and none of them had a pinpoint function like the Nox. Most of them went directly into some form of unfiltered true all metal mode. Some (like my Whites M6) would give an updated target ID.....

Thanks for raising the question about the validity of my statements in a very respectful way. I'm just trying to learn this detector like everybody else.

Jeff
From my understanding you are correct: the last digit(s) on the display at the exact moment the pinpoint button is pressed will stay on the display and shouldn't change while the PP button is held down. There is no target ID while in pinpoint mode other than what happened to be displayed when the button was pressed

My vdi's change from a 21-23 to a -8-9. But when I dug this target it was a wheat penny approx. 8 inches deep. This happened frequently enough for me to dig every target. I ended up with 9 wheat pennies.I attempted several sweeps PP and got the same readings

Sorry,I misunderstood. I thought you were digging junk...

You are indeed correct. I try to be tactful Jeff...... especially if its one of those humm things that i believe i know.... but not quit sure. First thing i did was grab the machine to check that. Ive almost NEVER used the PP mode...... i mean my button is LIKE NEW and most of the time IF ive ever used it my machine would have been underwater lol. I even noticed if i went into PP mode ...... away from the target, if it changed to NO digit reading ....... it stayed NO digit over the target. There does seem to be a moment before the target reading .... disappears. So..... apparently no process is going on ..... it appears to be working like a hand held PPer.... just telling you the target location. Now...... does it gain depth from doing that? You are also right about the Manual...... dont know who wrote it .... but this is one of the best manuals ive read. You have to go back over it to catch things...... but when you do.... that information seems to be there and often missed. Thanks jeff.

Hi Dew,
thanks for trying it out to see if I was having even more of a Senior moment than you!!!

Hi Grunter,
thanks for providing a little more info on your detecting experiences digging wheat pennies. I have dug a few here in nasty dirt Colorado. The shallower ones will target ID in the 21 to 25 range usually with good tone and solid numbers in both directions (90 degree turn to the target) if they are around 4" or less.
Below that depth ground mineralization tends to pull the numbers way down in one direction to where I will get an occasional good target ID number and several negative numbers or even super high numbers. So, depending on your soil conditions you might be entering IFFY LAND with those 8" wheat penny targets and the numbers can get skewed. Something about the Nox audio and visual target responses made you dig though. Way to go. I had a similar experience today. I was digging 7"+ nickels that were hitting 10, 11, 12, and an occasional 13 along with some super whacky numbers and high tones. One turned out to be a 1902 V nickel. I was super excited and really glad I dug those IFFY targets signals.