Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

When can I start hunting

Mat Hastings

So I'm fairly new to this hobby also as the most of you know. I live in WI and the snow is finally start to melt. The question I have is will water help you detect better.What I mean by water is just very wet ground. I have did some research on the issue and have different opinions on both sides. So I wanted to hear what you guys think.:shrug:

mat i have hunted my yard pretty hard the other day after a short shower i went out and found a few coins in spots where i was not getting hits before so i would
say some water on the ground helps you get deeper hits or atleast it helped me.i'm sure some others will have more on this gotta love this site so much info.

Water definitely improves the conductivity of the soil to an extent...If the ground is overly saturated (water seeps out and rises above your shoes), then it can cause false signals to be produced in your detector...right now, in most of the frozen USA, the ground is still frozen below about 4 inches...As long as you can dig, you can hunt...I went out last week, and the ground was still hard as a rock below 3 inches...It was tough going, and I finally gave up after digging my 8th hole...I did find a nickel, and 5 pennies (3 copper/2 zinc). So it depends on how hard your soil is...In the meantime, I have gone to the malls and searched the snowbanks...The plows do us a favor and drag all that loose change into nice neat piles for us...search the snow banks with your detector, then dig with a metal trowel, or entrenching tool...

HH,

BH-LandStar

I live in Oregon and the water is both a blessing and a curse. Iam 100% certain that the ground water helps produce deeper finds with my TR. However it also means pure mud. The sad part of it all is that the heavily saturated ground in my area also allows the new stuff to sink faster. So it goes without saying that its not a happy event when at the bottom of your 11'' dig you find yet another zinc cent. So much for getting great depth.

hey matt, you can hunt right now. the best time to go is after a good rain anyway.and dont let anybody tell you different. its the same as coming to a creek in the woods and detecting across it... it aint no different. i been doing this wonderful hobby for over 25 years, and wet ground aint never stopped me. the signals are better, and theyre deeper. and they make a dime look like a half dollar to your machine. but... i dunno about you, but when the water gets up around the bottom of my ankles, its time to go! ive always found a lot more stuff with wet ground than with dry ground. good luck, and hh,

Almost all the snow here in eastern iowa is gone. The end is in sight Mat. You and Bucky will have good weather soon