Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Wheat Pennies from last weekend.

buckrod

My XS sure loves pennies. Here are 87 wheaties and 1 Canadian penny which I found last weekend. They range from 1910 to 1958. Now if I could only find a good way to clean these guys. I have put some in a tumbler with water and vinager but they tend to turn red. I've used hot peroxide but it takes forever to clean each one. Thanks for looking!

That's a lot of wheats for a weekend.

You must have found some sort of silver while digging all those, right?

Buckrod,

I don't use anything else on my coppers; if hydroden peroxide can't clean it nothing else is going to, at least not without doing major damage to the coin. When I first started out detecting tried Olive Oil, but no longer.

I usually just pour a little common drug store H2O2 into a bowl, microwave until boiling, then dump the coins in. Usually have to rub the dirt off with a soft towel. Sometimes you have to do it twice. It will not affect the patina and turn the coin red or shiny.

I usually just toss all my non key date wheaties in a jar until the end of the season, then soak in H2O2 and then tumble with H2O2 with some uncooked rice as a medium to remove dirt.

[attachment 62072 2006Wheat.jpg]

Basically the tumbling saves you from having to wipe down each one while doing a reasonably decent job of removing dirt without affecting color.

Cbris

WOW! That is a load of wheats! You making bread??
HH

Chris,
Thank you for this information. I have used the peroxide with fair results, guess I'll try again with a second soaking and definitely will try the rice tumble. Your pennies look nice in the pic.
Thanks again Chris.

Chris,
My next post down is the silver and other trinkets found along with these wheaties. It was a good weekend.

Hey buckrod, your friends are correct. Hydrogen peroxide gives the most pleasing results on old wheaties, but takes a long soak to loosen up the dirt, etc. Here's another thought, you might want to try washing soda (arm and hammer makes it, in the laundry soap section of any supermarket). Put into a glass vessel or plastic, some boiling water, couple tablespoons of the soda powder, and aluminum foil. I usually put a small sheet of aluminum first and line the bottom, coins on top, then add the water and soda. The aluminum is a catalyst to the reaction and makes it work faster and with more vigor. Cleaning achieved is usually somewhat gentle on copper, you might want to try a few wheaties alone first, and see if you like the results.

Hope this helps,

Mark

Add a few drops of dish soap and in the begining rinse ever hour or so...will not turn your cents red. Also, never tumble nickles with your copper!!!

john

I use dishwasher soap in the tumbler then switch to laundry soap.
I've also used 30% Hydrogen Peroxide rather than the drug store stuff which is only 3% store in a cool dry place.I would be leery heating the stuff up in a microwave it will damage it.:canadaflag: