Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

whats with wheat pennies?

waynard

Just wondering... it appears that 'wheat pennies' seem to be a desirable find. I have found lots on Canadian soil. My question is, what makes them special? the year? the mint? Just wondering...

Wheat pennies, wheat backs, are U.S. cents from 1909 to 1958. The only appeal they hold for me is, when more than one is found in a location, finding silver coins, (1964 and older in the U.S.) is more likely.

I have found the copper coins I dig, to be very hard to clean. For that reason even rare dates and mint marks have less value.

A couple of weeks ago, I found a nice looking 1926-S cent, in a cash register at work. :surprised: Now that gets my attention.

These are just my opinions and I'm sure others will not agree with me. Dave

There are a few key dates in the wheat back pennies, such as 1909 S-VDB (~$550 value, depends on shape and what somebody is willing to pay) and the 1914 D. I know there are a few others worth considerably more than a penny, that's just the couple I can think of, right off my head. So, for collecting value, wheat back pennies are always worth looking at.

I just like to find them. In certain places they will help date the site. I keep all I find, Beale.

Just finding a wheat gives me reason to focus more as there could be more along with other coins and good stuff. Heck, if I find a ring pull tab, that's reason enough - for me.
If I don't find a wheat or pull tab within a couple hours, at least I gave the area/spot a fair shake to determine if it's worth it or not. However it goes to help tell me what is or is not there.
I don't pass up penny signals, and if I start finding wheat's, then the better. Gives some dating to the potential of the area.

It's an obsolete coin and a piece of history, that's why I enjoy finding them.

Albeit a very common obsolete coin.

Wheat cents were pretty much out of circulation in the US by the mid-late 1970's so if you're finding wheat cents that means the drop was almost surely at least 30-35 years ago.

I've had good luck making dug wheats look good by tumbling them and then a good soaking in boiled linseed oil.

Technically tumbling does put wear on them so I wouldn't do it with a key date, but most of my dug wheats look good like they would if you found them in circulation.

waynard said:
Just wondering... it appears that 'wheat pennies' seem to be a desirable find. I have found lots on Canadian soil. My question is, what makes them special? the year? the mint? Just wondering...
- They are old and out of circulation. Any coin like that is gonna have some inherent worth.
- There are a few desirable coins among the series, although as dug condition diminishes thier value.
Neverthelss, a 1969- S Doubled Die cent will bring a handsome reward for finding it.
- Finding Wheaties makes most people think there are some silver coins, too. The one doesn't necessarily follow the other, but people like to think so.

In the end, Wheaties represent hope. They are a small vindication of our efforts.

Wheaties used to be a great find for me, but I don't really care about them anymore. Now, they are just an indication that silver could be found there.

Another post here in saying they date the site and let you know the potential for silver. If you find several at a site...spend some time there and set you setting a little high.

Wheat penny dates to watch for. (No matter how they come out of the ground.):

1909-S
1909-S VDB
14-D
22 Plain (This coin was actually made in Denver and if you find one, investigate it for one of two varieties.)

These coins would still easily sell in a retail store... no matter their shape. Other key dates would be a tougher move... but if in good shape?