Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What's The Best Way To Hunt Shallow With The Explorer?

Ricardo_NY1

Can anyone offer advice on what is the best way/best settings to hunt shallow with the Explorer? I initially like to go over an area and pull all the surface targets and then work it deeper. What is the best method to control how deep the detector is seeing? Basically, I don't want to run it hot. I assume lowering Gain would have little influence as all it does is boost a low signal that is being processed anyhow correct? Is lowering sens the full and only solution?

If you turn your gain way down and only dig loud signals, most will be very shallow.

Thanks digitrich, I understand what you mean, but what I really want to know is how to limit the detectors power so that it doesn't read deeper than what I would like it to, if that is possible.

Ricardo,

Not sure why you would want to dig all theshallow junk. The whole idea of the explorer is to see around/past the bad stuff. But if you are dead set on it, just be sure you are in Manual sensitivity and turn the gain down to one or so. See how much depth you get. Probably a couple inches on a cent tops. If you switch to semi-auto you will see that it detects much deeper at low sensitivity settings.

You are right about gain, it just determines how much a signal is amplifed.

Chris

Another solution might be find a freind with a Garrett or other detector and let them hit it first.

Hello Chris,
The exact reason is because I'm hunting an area where every silver we find is at about 2", Between me and my hunting partner who uses an M6, we've pulled out at least 10 silvers from that depth, with the exception of one quarter at 4". With that said, I can easily see how I could miss surface targets if I have the Explorer trying to read down past 6 or more inches. I'd like to have a minimal of intereference from other targets it doesn't need to look at to get to this shallow silver. I also have an ACE 250, but I trust the XS more now. I think you guys might understand what I am trying to do.......basically, I want to keep the detector from picking up deeper trash as I try to pick out shallow coins. It simply does not need to look too deep, and looking too deep is a negative because those deep signals good or bad will mix things up. After that I will of course start trying to get deeper, but I don't like to dig shallow and deep at the same time. I like to pick at the shallow stuff, and when I feel all the shallow is gone, that is where I start to look deeper. I'll even remove some of the junk at this point.