Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

what would you do if you found gold treasure on public lands?

OK guys let me have it, that's my question , now l realize that most or some christian detectorist will return a class ring to its owner if their a name in it. I found a very old fire rangers badge and my honest god loving wife grab it right away and tried to find the family . Then a non christian detectorist came over when I first started m dinging and gave me some pointers! He also showed me some very big gold class rings , but one had a name in it and my wife new who it was , and we got into a argument about the ring with the name in it because she wanted to return it and I told her its not are place to do that. It would betray my new friend , because he wanted to keep it . so what would l do if I found a sizeable gold treasure on public or a private permission site , wow ! The holy spirit would have to grab me very quick, does finders keepers stand for everyone? I know I would tithe off a big find , but to turn it into the county or city authorities l struggle with . please share your thoughts. Waterhound

I would return the gold item to the ones who lost it, if I knew for sure who they were and was able to track them for myself returning it! Otherwise, I am not sure if the city or county authorities would return it to the rightful owner but keep the gold for themselves! Even the Park Rangers,who forbid we detectorists from :detecting: in the park, hunt the parks themselves! So good question and I guess let our consciences be our guide or with Christians God's Holy Spirit! Best is to keep quiet as much as possible and that way each would keep others from getting jealous or claiming they lost it, if they should see and know you or I found something of value! If a park ranger sees and knows than definitely ask them if anyone has said they lost such an item! I found a nice class ring by the shopping carts at a grocery store and knew the school that the student was attending or graduated from, so I returned it to him at his school with permission of the principal of the High School! Hope this will answer your question, but guess we each must make the decision for ourselves! But if it was a friend who found the gold, I would leave it up to him/her and let them make the decision for themselves! If we don't find the item of value than I don't believe it is our business to tell them what they need to do with it....their decision and no one else's! God Bless! :angel: Ma

Good advice ma, thanks

When I hunt public land and find a gold ear ring or a ring etc…. and I have no way of knowing who the owner is I just keep it. That being said I have returned 13 rings in three summers and several others in the years past. Now in the case where the man wanted to keep the ring, I guess it is to each his own. I know if he lost his wallet he would want someone to return it if found. Now I don't agree with keeping an item that has the former owners info inside. One should at least make an attempt to return it. I know guys that return everything possible, and others who return nothing (ITS ALL MINE) I think it's a difference in morals. Most private places I hunt, they tell me have fun keep whatever you find.

If I am able to return a item to it's owner I will do so. If I find a jar of gold coins or some such treasure mums the word. :detecting:

Without Question: if it were humanly possible to return the gold/silver/valuable item to the owner, I would gladly do. There has been times I've found rings, etc. and had no way of knowing who owned them, so I simply put them in my 'collectable' container and let it go with that.

I here ya gods children,

I once found a gold wedding band, and returned it to the lady who had lost it....even though they said I could keep it if I found it. It matched the one that her husband was wearing. But, if I were to find a treasure on public land, I would not tell the Mafia, or the Gov't. It's really none of their business!