Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What to do ?

Danno

Guys,

New here hi!

I'm presently looking for a good metal detector and have narrowed it down to these 3 machines.

X-Terra 705

Safari

E-Trac

Which one? I do enjoy a small amount of prospecting (only about 10%) of my overall detecting. Mostly want a great coin/treasure machine.

The Xterra 705 does gold, but looks like a toy

The Safari is a cut down (dare I say, poor mans E-Trac) How good is this machine? It sits right in the middle of these 3 machines with not really anything more to offer

The E-Trac I hear is the absolute best, but not a gold machine, and costs LOTS more than the other two.

What are your opinions? I just can't decide.

Danno

Well i have the safari and it is awsome easy to use and very deep the e trac i hear is a lot more complicated also i have found lots of gold with mine goodluck

Thanks croakersmoker78,

Thats what I needed to hear, I am leaning heavilly towards the Safari. It looks professional and has the FBS technology.

Hmm, that X-Terra 705 looks a bit wimpy and jack of all trades, master of none.

The E-Trac would be my choice, but can't stretch the $$$.

Cheers,

Danno

You have left out the Explorer SE from the list.

I have had all those machines and I can tell you the 705 is no toy. It's deep, very versatile, and easy on the arm. And a very capable gold nugget machine with the right coil.
The Explorer SE, which is my main machine now, is a fantastic machine and once learned very few people will ever part with it.
I also have a Safari as my backup, which I really like also, but it doesn't give the 2D ferrous/conductive simultaneous read out I like to help decide whether to dig or not.
I had the E-Trac for about a month but it wasn't for me. I didn't like how most targets fall on the 12 line. Seemed like a step backward to me. Although it has some very useful unique features.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I left out the SE as I thought it was now discontinued?

So, the X-Terra 705 might still be worth a look too ? I was left thinking that the FBS machines like the Safari & E-Trac will totally blow the 705 out of the water on Coin/Treasure side or is there not
that much in it ? ... And considering your getting a gold hunting detector too ?

Danno.

The 705 is a very versatile machine,and can compete with the safari on coins,I have both ,and if you are prospecting the 705 will beat the safari.

By no means lower yourself to a poor man's E-Trac you will always wonder if you made the right decision. Get an E-Trac they will find silver 10 to 12 inchs deep no problem. Work great on the beach. I have'nt used a 705 but there is not many used one's for sale. I have a poor man's E-Trac and have never felt that I was under-equipped and have friends that have different high end machines. My son has a V-3i and when he gets through pumping and adjusting he has to play catch up with old Dad. The bottom line is get what you want and can afford learn the machine and you will be a lot happier. JMHO HH :minelab:

Seems as though It all boils down to the X-terra 705 if I want the ability to do the occasional prospecting trip.

Shame they can't add that versatilty to the Safari or E-Trac.

So, to sum up. If you want the prospecting mode, you basically have to step down to the 705, or way up to the SD -GP Series in the $2000+ range.

That leaves the Safari or E-Trac. No real gold ability at all, but great Coin & Treasure hunters. But, if you get the Safari you'd be forever wishing you saved the extra $$$ for the E-Trac.

Think eventually I'll have to get one of each! Clever marketing I'd call it :)

Thanks for the tips guys.

Danno :)

You dare and ome to the Safari section and ask us to recommend them to you? How could you... You don't want a Safari, it's far to simple and versatile. No. its nut a nugget finder. It will pik up a gold ring or two or thre or however many you manage to swing over....

No matter the machine you get, it will only be as good as the noggin between the earphones and the perserverence and experience ained by working with the machine.

Don't get a poor mans machine, get the one you'll tire of using because its to omplicated to learn... That way one of us can get it when you sell out...

Seriously, the Safari is a good ompromise... Just not your teeny itty bity nugget finder... Except in all metal mode....

Thats another good consideration, ease of use. I gather the E-Trac has a HUGE learning curve.

Not knocking the Safari, and that's the machine my commonsense is telling me is the best choice. It's just the teeny bit of gold prospecting I'd like to be able to do that's putting
a spanner in the works and makes the 705 look the better choice.

Just trying to weigh up all these factors before I part with a large wad of $$$. Its not an easy choice.

I looked at at all the machines before I bought my Safari, 705 included. Ibit the bullit and got the Safari.I,m not sorry one bit .Been hunting parks, ballfields,groves.Been finding lots of cions 400-500 since I got it. Some silver, no gold yet,Happy I got this machine. Works great.The sounds tell all Just have to learn them.This machine has all the adjustments you will ever need.Started finding coins right out of the box.You won't be sorry if you get one.You just have to learn the machine. Took me some 50-60 hours to get it down. Almost gave in though and then I talked to JR at Kellyco and he set me straight.Keep practicing...He was right...

Dave400 said:
I looked at at all the machines before I bought my Safari, 705 included. Ibit the bullit and got the Safari.I,m not sorry one bit .Been hunting parks, ballfields,groves.Been finding lots of cions 400-500 since I got it. Some silver, no gold yet,Happy I got this machine. Works great.The sounds tell all Just have to learn them.This machine has all the adjustments you will ever need.Started finding coins right out of the box.You won't be sorry if you get one.You just have to learn the machine. Took me some 50-60 hours to get it down. Almost gave in though and then I talked to JR at Kellyco and he set me straight.Keep practicing...He was right...

Thanks Dave,

Just when I thought I'd made my choice on the 705!

I have to say, my choice of the X-Terra 705 over the Safari is solely due to the prospecting ability of the 705. If I'm really honest, I'd probably get out to the Goldfields about 2 days per year.

I imagine the Safari would excel over the 705 on coin/treasure I would think for the other 363 days.

Dont think I'll make up my mind till I walk into the local detector shop!

Dano,

Last year a blogger here in these forums stated that his Safari was able to detect
1 gram of Gold at 4 inches.