Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What to do with my "treasure"?

HeronBlue

Hello all,
I am a newbie with some old metal detectors and have had a blast the last few months finding pull tabs and busted up pennies from 2002 :heh:
My question might be a silly one but like I mentioned, Im new at this. What do y'all do with the actual "treasure" you find? I know some of the older coins can be worth money and an engagement ring might fetch a few bucks, but besides being a fun way to pass the time and get sunburned, do any of you make money doing this?

Hi HB,

It's rare bird that relies on Metal Detecting for a living wage and that Hunter usually has other income that may or may not be related to MDing.

MD dealers, Writers, and Miners are the most common.

Even to consider MDing as supplemental income is a stretch for most of us!:cry:

For most of us it is not about the money, but a way to keep our sanity in an insane world!!!:rolleyes:

The hobby offers exercise, fresh air, and an opportunity to interact with like-minded folks and people who would like to know about what we do.:yo:

I hunt often and the most I have learned to hope for is to find pocket change for tomorrow's coffee!:clapping:

If you want income, Mc Donald's will pay more on an hourly rate and offers health insurance too! (But I don't think it's as much fun!!):biggrin:

One man's opinion,

CJ

I generally keep all my finds - Civil War relics. I do give away a few bullets and things sometimes, never sell them though. I only sold one item - a name plate off of a Kissell Motor Kar from 1911. I got about $500 for it. I'm into the hunt for the history and time spent with friends, Happy Hunting and welcome to the great hobby.

Hi Blue, If you can get out 2or3 times a week and have some good parks to look in, you can cash in 400.00 to 500.00 a year in change. Not counting silver and gold. If you just want a .99c bugger and fry a day, you could live on it, but without a stake now and then it would get old. Good Luck Flintstone

I have saved all of my old coins, tokens, rings etc, since I started detecting years ago! The history and research is the reason I detect, the exercise is another benefit!:detecting:.. and of course,
the great people that share the same interest in the hobby... as with any hobby you soon find that you can spend a pile of money ! I reload my own ammo, tye my own flies,
hunt out west for Elk and Mule Deer, Telling myself and my wife that I'm saving money ! (neither of us believe it, nice to dream though) keep digging you will find your treasure, no matter what it is! Good luck! HH...C-Dog

Welcome Blue to metal detecting. If the bug really bites you could enjoy metal detecting for years to come.
I am out a lot during the summer and my total is somewhere around $300 every summer.
What to do with the finds? My wife uses all my quarters for wash money. You can use some of your found money for new equipment : pin pointer, digging tools, rock tumbler, new coil or pay on your new detector?
During the winter I tumble my coins. I had almost 3,000 pennies. It took a number of loads to finish those pennies.
If your like most of us, that is the way it will work most of the years a few hundred dollars and maybe some nice jewelry and silver coins. It is a great hobby and great way to get instant gratification with lots of exercise. HH.....Z

Hi HeronBlue, You gona fit right in with this bunch Blue, cause for most of us detecting is a "blast" and so long as we find "something" now and then doesn't really change that. History , research, and some find now and then that helps the digger make that connection, is what it's about for most folks.Also some good exercise, fresh air , and time spent with good friends brings those special treasures you can't put a value on. As for actual treasures, worth some $, they show up in the hole now and then and you can make a few $ if you choose to.Most I know don't.I have given away some of my better finds. Over 40 years of digging have brought me a few goodies but so far I have not sold any.Leaving them for the kids and grandkids etc.I would suggest that if you stick with it and especially when signaficant history/personal/or family sites are involved, to make an attempt to keep some sort of records as to where your "digs".come from. I did not do enough of that and wish I had.I have stuff stored away with mostly just mental recall of where most all of it was dug, but of course I have stuff that came from where I have no idea. That happens with us older dudes, and I wish I had done earlier what I knew I should. One really big hazard for those that feel they must make some sort of profit from all their $ spent on detectors "and stuff"causes them to sometimes loose focus and enter into situations where their digs will be unlawful or overbearing in some manner and that puts all the rest of us" fun type only" hobby guys in a bad light with just about everyone. You got the hang of it right off, so keep hanging with the good times and you will find more "treasure" than any amount of $ can give you! Happy Hunting,, Charlie

n/t

I agree with all above. Unless I find a gold bar, or gold rings and diamond, I dont bother with the value end. I really get excited just finding the stuff thats historically significant. I did a big old estate this spring and found tons of wheatbacks and nine silver dimes, but what did it for me was near the old Carriage House I found a very heavy gauge brass sleigh bell. When cleaned up it had a sound like you couldnt believe, and I just imagined the horse, with the clomp, clomp, and all pulling people along and the bells ringing away. Or the time I found an ox shoe and didnt know what it was, when I found out Im at the diner table telling them, can you imagine they where using Ox to till the land. My wife and kids are like yeah dad, like did you forget your medicine or something? There are certain goals and coins Id like to find, just so I can say yes I found one of those and yes Ive got a coin from the1700. Havent got there, come close and yet I will soon. I used to keep every little scrap, but am learning to part with some of the junkier trash. I figure a lot of the silver will go to grandchildren, and just so they can have something old. Very few silver finds are uncirculated or near mint, of course you hope for a critical year, but actually there arent a ton of those either in some coin series. Enjoy, happy hunting. CO

Once a year, I cash out all my finds unles there's something I just really want to keep, and start over again at $0.

......'Cause if i relied on making money from this great hobby, i'd have starved long ago! I do this for the history, even avoiding "newer" spots like parks, totlots and beaches, even leaving clad in the ground when i find it for someone to re - find fifty years from now. Perhaps they will feel the same way we do when we dig a 1950's quarter.