Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What to do with $500.00

stikman

Stimulus Checks are almost here and I'm gonna get my first metal detector. Problem is that I have no idea which detector to buy. White's is the only company that has responded and actually sent info. I'm leaning towards the Prizm V, but really have no idea why. I'm in the NE Kansas and will probably only be searching old farm houses and corn fields, and would like any suggestions on detectors to look into.

LOL, I had to pay $500 this time ($400 federal, $100 state)!!! So I paid, and should get that check soon, so I break even, or at least I hope...:rofl:

For a few more bucks you can pick up a White's M6! It's a great detector. You might even be able to get a slightly used one here on the forum with warranty left for around 500.

Buy a used CZ or a used Xterra 50 with an extra coil. Both are easy to learn and provide above average performance. R.L.

f-75 ,or f-70 fisher ,and don't look back!

(h.h!)
j.t.

If your young and have no problems with aces and pains, Whites makes some nice metal detectors.
But they weigh a ton and I can not haul anything like that around.

I use a no bells and whistles hot little performer. Two point two pounds.

If I get my shoulder irritated, I can not metal detect and it's hard to sleep for days.

It's very common. Doesn't seem to bad at first, but it's a killer later on.

I think three pounds is heavy. Whiter are five pounds.

Tesoros are two point two pounds.

They start at $152 and have a good life time warranty.

I got four of them. Each one is real nice.

HH,

There is a fifty dollar discount coupon running around for the Prizm..(if you need one I think I have one)... Although find some more dough and get the Explorer SE

I also will chime in and say Tesoro. With that money you can get a Vaquero, lifetime warrany, and have a light weight deep seeker, Beale.

If you want a great machine-do your own research...and get lots of feedback from this forum! I spent literally two weeks researching and today...I just got my M 6! I'm taking it out tomorrow. You can find one for about $500-or just a lttle more. To me, it doesn't seem heavy at all at just over 4 pounds. Maybe 4.5 lbs. But I'm 6 "2" 248lbs

Stikman if I lived that close to KC and I had five hundred $ to spend on a detector I would go to north KC and see old chuck clevenger.
He would have a good used top of the line whites or any other line. and he stands behind his detectors. HH digadime69 in s.e. Kansas.

There are a lot of questions that only YOU have to answer

- What type of hunting are you mainly going to do ( coin, relic, beach ) ?

- What type of areas are you going to hunt ( parks, farm fields, school yards ) ?

- Do you want target ID ?

- Does the detector have to have manual or automatic ground balancing as opposed to a pre-set ? ( which depends on where you will be hunting and what type of soil you are in).

There are detectors for general applications, specific ones, etc.

All of the major manufactures have great detectors. It all depends on the above...and more...and what YOU want to use and enjoy.

If $500 is the maximum I can spend right now, and not go over that by 1 penny, and it has to be a new unit, I would go with the Tesoro Vaquero and stock coil. Then, at some point look for a used 5 inch coil. I think most dealers sell the Vaquero for about $420.00 and with the tax it may cost you around $440 or so. I bet you can get a used 5 inch coil for around $60. They retail for about $100.

You would have a light weight, manual ground balance machine that takes one 9 volt battery, does deep, has a higher frequency to be more sensitive to lower conductive targets such as gold jewelry, and for what I hear, is a great coin hunter too. I would also imagine that with the 5 inch coil, it would make a great dry sand and tot lot machine too. And no worries about a screen...just dig all solid beeps. PLUS....best warranty in the business.

Me...I am torn between the Vaquero and Tejon.

Just my 1 1/2 cents worth.

JC

I would be hunting in Kansas. Ground is not highly mineralized. I do want target ID and digital readout. I want Varying pitches depending on type of metal. I contacted Chuck Clevenger in KC and he seems highly against White's. I was asking him prices on the White's line and was told that the Ace 250 wasn't just comparable to the M6, but was better. I am completely confused. I would rather only spend $250 than $500, but have no conception of how a $250 detector could be better than a $500 dollar one. His statement was that White's were simply overpriced. I just don't want to regret my purchase. This is almost worse than a car purchase. At least with a car you can get full coverage and hit a tree.

He's right Stickman,

The 250 would be a great choice.

The only problem being the ground conditions.

Few lower priced machines have real ground adjust.

HH,

How do I know if I'll need manual ground adjust? I'm really even not sure what it is. I guess if the soil is not highly mineralized, then I don't need a detector with ground balance adjustments, but I don't even know what mineralized soil is. To me, dirt is dirt and that's the way it should be.

Stikman if you have never done any detecting do not buy an expensive detector. It takes an odd duck to pursue this hobby. You have to love (LOVE) the hunt. Many people buy a detector and use it a few times and it goes into the closet and stays there. There are many reasons for this: not what you thought it would be, too hard, too boring, no time, have not found anything, no one to work with, don't understand how to use machine, being overwhelmed and unsure, no one to really talk to about metal detecting, are just a few of the reasons to not go detecting again. Go into the lunch room at work and talk about metal detecting to your co workers. It is a hobby that grows and grows the more years that you are at it and the longer you are at it the harder it is to do it because it is taxing on the body. It is great meditation if your into that stuff. It also so can grow into other hobbies from your finds.

I would tell you to buy a detector from a metal detector dealer. If you can a local one, the one I use is 30 miles away. So you may have to travel a wee bit. I probably would not go over $200. It should be light and simple so you will not experience overwhelm. It has to be better than a toy and not so complicated that frustration sets in. There are a number of companies that sell a good detector for about $200. And if you happen to be one of the odd ducks you will probably get a few more mid to higher end detectors in a very short time. Enough... Good luck and thanks for reading.... Z