Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What scared the devil out of little Joe!!

Cupajo

Hi Gang,

Time to pick up the story of my beginning days as a treasure hunter.

One fine day in warm spring weather found me waist deep in our local beach waters, and I was glad to shake off old man winter blues on such a beautiful day, in such a pleasant way. Focusing intently on signals in the earphones allows one to casually observe one's surroundings in a very special way,--no hurry--soak it in kind of way. I noticed a young fellow dressed in a suit walk to near the waters edge accompanied by two young women dressed in a similar fashion. He was carrying a card board carton which he handed to one of the young ladys as he removed his shoes and socks and rolled up his pant legs to knee high or so. As I watched, he opened the carton, took out something I was too far away to see, looked at it and then threw it out into the water. He and his companions then bowed their heads for a moment and then he proceeded to empty the powdery contents into Long Island Sound. I said to myself,says I, "I think I've just witnessed a water burial." This , unknown to me, set the stage for a chuckle or two in spite of the sad occasion. I never heard who's remains got scattered that day, but when I went to visit my detector dealer friend Bill Peckham of WillJean's Detectors in Killingworth, Connecticut he added to the tail.

There was an older Italian gentleman that I had seen a few times at the beach. He had a Whites PI machine and when he was looking for targets he moved so fast he left a wake like a speed boat. I followed him one day and found a hole you could lose a bus in and on the outer edge of the hole I found a nice ring Joe had dug up and lost! My friend Bill told me that Joe had stopped by with a metal disk that appeared to be heat discolored and had numbers on it. Joe wanted to know what this thing was? Bill told me that when he told Joe that it was a titanium tag used in crematoriums to identify the ashes of the deceased. Bill told me the superstitious old fellow looked as if he might pass out for a moment. He grabbed the disk and flew away in terror. After returning the disk to the place he found it he stayed away from the area for months after and only returned after what he must have judged a suitable time lapse.

And now for the rest of the story! (too much??)

Shortly after that, during one of those extremely low tides we get here when the moon and wind co-operate, I found the tag and to secure it from becoming a collection piece, I waded out deep enough that my dry bottom was at risk, dug a hole as deep as I could, a couple of feet as I recall, and put the item to rest
for what may be the last time. I say "may" because one never knows what a major storm will do.

'til next time HH Friends,

Cupajo, Ct.

(No-one gets 'em all, but I'm workin on it!!!)

I don't think I would want to add that tag to my collection! Great story, can't wait for more!

reading posts again! Nice to see ya hanging around! I hope to be back full time soon. Your treasure hunting stories are good! Hope you stay with us! :)

I would have also returned it to where I had found it. Things like that are spooky to me and I have no desire to mess with anything that could involve the supernatural...You folks did good by getting rid of it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)