Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What kind of shoes do you wear ?

soflajim

I'm new at the beach hunting thing. Ive tried an old pair of tennis shoes and socks, they worked fine till they filled up with sand. Then tried a pair of wading shoes (walmart $4.8:geek: didn't like them. What combinations do you guys use. I'm diabetic and have to protect my feet as much as possible.

I use dive booties. They look kind of funny, but have high tops and almost no sand gets in while wading.

I am kind of concerned by the sand in whatever you choose to wear. waders might be your best bet. You just don't want anything that will cause blisters , callousing or cuts. I also use dive boots but sand does get into them. Maybe if you used plastic bags with rubber bands,(Not to tight though), unless they make some kind of rubber socks that would help keep the sand out. Regardless of what you use, if you have neuropathy you should check your feet frequently for any reddening, blistering or swelling. I will check with my coleges to see if they have anny ideas.

James Timmons C. Ped

Use dive booties and wrap a couple of turns of electricians tape around the top. Not too tight, though. If too much sand for you, then cut a piece of the arm off of an old neoprene suit and use this as a collar over the top of your booties. Like the man said, looks goofy as hell but we're not in a fashion show.

I asked the same question a month ago. I ended up shopping at the Bass ProShop and picked up some "Flats Boots". They have a bubber sole and neoprene sides. They zipper up and have a verlco strap at the top to cinch them tight. We went out for two days over the 4th and detected in the dry sand and wet sand. I got caught by a few waves about 8 " high but my feet stayed sand free and only slightly damp. I wore short socks to make my feet more comfortable and soak up any moisture that might creep in. I highly reccomend them. At $19.95 you cant go too far wrong.

It's a water sandal like the Crock's. Nice thick soles for digging and the sand flows right out of them. Depending on your degree of diabetes, especially if you have had foot problems, it may not be a good idea to stay in the water for any length of time. Elastic bands or tight fitting tape are a no-no.

Those look nearly identical to what I wear, except mine are blue and don't have the velcro straps. I've had them for at least 15 years now. So long as you remember to clean them well with fresh water, especially the zipper, they should last you quite a while.

I have been using Teva Sunkosi, and am very happy w/ them. They are far better than my teva sandals. The sandals would always allow small pebbles to get trapped under my feet, and I would have to stop to get 'em out.... The water shoe allows in some sand, but most of it flows back out thru the mesh. I would say some sort of closed water shoe or dive booty is the way to go (just make sure the dive booties are metal free)....
Regards,
Keith

here is where I finally found some shoes to wear that are not only comfortable, but provide plenty of support for pushing on my long handled scoop in both the wet and dry sand.

http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear/Boots.html

I chose a pair of high top boots (slip on - not zippered) with hard soles.

If I had to do it over again, I might choose the zippered ones only because it's probably easier to put them on and take them off.

I get no sand inside - my feet stay warm in cold water and I have plenty of traction and don't need to worry about stepping on pieces of lobster traps or other debris on the beaches I hunt.

Good luck - but definitely talk to your doctor

I use a high top zippered hard sole dive boot. They will let a little water and very little sand in over a 6 hour hunt in the water,they make a dive sock to go with the boots but I haven't tried them. but I would ask my Dr. first. Good Luck and HH.

I hate sand or tiny pebbles getting into my shoes. Someone recommended the NRS ATB Wetshoe to me and I love them. They cost around $40.00 but you won't get a grain of sand into them. I did get a small blister one time but now I wear a pair of ankle socks with them and it cured the problem. Hope this helps.
HH Randy

Jim, my son does quite allot of cold water surfing and he uses these socks to keep his feet dry and warm. He claims no sand or water gets in. Good Luck. HH.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&partNumber=34705&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

Thank you all for the response. I think Ive decided on the dive boots, although now i have a good excuse to go to The BassPro shop. I have a dive shop close by I'll go check them out. Thanks again

[attachment 62515 Z2_Mens_Black_Unaweep.jpg]
A light water shoe with a vibram sole and wide straps that fit snug but let the sand wash free. Good protection against glass and other sharp nasty objects we encounter while wading in the surf. I've had my current pair for the last 3 years and they have very few signs of wear and tear.
I also wear dive boots a lot of the time, especially when the water temp drops below 70 degrees F. A little better feel for the bottom with the dive boots but a little less protection too.
I'm just not sold on going barefoot when I think of all the sharp bits I dig up while extracting targets.

Good hunting All,

BDA:cool: